First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Engineer
Hey all first post here, Jeep newb picked up a Gladiator today, loving it! (great forum as well, I've learned a lot from history searches)
Just stopped by the local Ultimate Linings and made an appointment. Reviewed with the tech who mentioned the following:
- Front swivel tie-downs will be removed and reinstalled after spray
- Rear (fixed) tie downs sprayed over
- Two screwed-in panels in the tailgate will be removed, sprayed loose, and reinstalled after spray
- Two front drain holes will remain open after spray
- Side upper rails will be taped off, spray applied underneath spraying upward to cover as much as possible.
- All threaded holes get sprayed over (but I'm planning to install loose M6x1 setscrews or clay in the holes to keep the threaded holes clean)
- 5 plastic plugs will be simply sprayed over.

My main question is with the last item, and see attached photo. Also in general are all of the notes above the preferred way to do it?

Thanks!
Jeep Gladiator Spray Bedliner Imminent - Want to do the right thing with holes/plug Bedliner Question Picture
Sponsored

Ottoparts

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Auto worker
Hey, I can offer no help as I just got my Willys a week ago and I'm also getting bed liner from LineX done Tuesday. So I'm just borrowing your question I need the same answers. I don't like the idea of the plugs being sprayed over.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I pulled the plugs before spaying mine......Should you plan to ever add the inverter plug, you will want to be able to remove that plug?

Having a cover and a dust problem in the desert, I taped behind the other holes and rear fixed tie downs to help seal things up in combination of a gasket around the tailgate. I also just rolled up some masking tape slugs to fill the holes for the trail rails that I just pulled out after spraying and the screw holes were clean.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sprayed over mine.

OP
OP

getoutthere44

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Engineer
Just saw a friend's with the OEM bedliner sprayed in, all plugs were sprayed over. I'm thinking to spray them over as I have no plans do do anything with the openings and if I did, could always carefully remove the plugs by scribing the perimeter. But... now I'm still *maybe* going to remove 1 or more of the vertical surface plugs just in case... hmmm not completely sure right now...

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Has anyone done this without spraying over the plugs, or is the consensus to spray over them? I am getting ready to get mine done soon.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Personally I would remove the plugs. Why spray over something that takes 30 seconds to remove?

biplaneguy

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Same here, expect to get a sprayed in liner soon. Just what do those plastic plugs cover, and is it likely one would ever need to remove them? I know the big square one in the back is where the inverter outlet goes, but I don't have that and it's unlikely I'd add it.

If they just snap in, they might not go back in with the added thickness of the liner.

I presume the tapped holes are for the trail rail system? If you plug them with a set screw, seems it could be problematic to remove once the hex recess is filled with the liner material?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally I would remove the plugs. Why spray over something that takes 30 seconds to remove?
I'm wondering if the plugs will easily fit back in after it is sprayed.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
They absolutely do not. I only pulled the inverter space plug and it never fit again. I added rivnuts to the corners and had to make a new blockoff plate.

The ones in the bed floor are for accessing chassis bolts and you should almost never need access to them. If you do for something like fuel pump access or something it's trivial to cut out access holes in the liner.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They absolutely do not. I only pulled the inverter space plug and it never fit again. I added rivnuts to the corners and had to make a new blockoff plate.

The ones in the bed floor are for accessing chassis bolts and you should almost never need access to them. If you do for something like fuel pump access or something it's trivial to cut out access holes in the liner.
I think that is the only plug I'd pull, too. Makes sense.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Wow. That wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Thank God for this forum
Sponsored