First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
I was searching through the forum and couldn't find a procedure for this, if I need to go back and adjust the rear control arms on a lift that's already installed , how do I go about it? As in do I need to have both the frame and the axle on jackstands ? Do I take them off and adjust them one at a time? Any information about how to do it , or links to other threads containing the information would be very appreciated. I had my lift installed about a month ago , but it looks like my rear springs are bowed , and after some inspection the rear control arms aren't adjusted anywhere near the manufacturers suggestions. I'm trying to figure out if it's something I can adjust myself or if it's gonna have to go back in the shop.
Sponsored

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
It's actually pretty straight forward. Loosen the jam nuts first. Undo the nuts on either the control arms.

Once you've done that, put a jack under the pinion get it to a spot where it's fairly easy to take out the bolts. Keep the jack there in place. Make the arms equal lengths. Change the height of the jack as needed.

Reinstall components.

Be careful as your pinion angle may be purposely set like that which is why the springs are bowing. If that's the case you can get coil correction plates potentially.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It's actually pretty straight forward. Loosen the jam nuts first. Undo the nuts on either the control arms.

Once you've done that, put a jack under the pinion get it to a spot where it's fairly easy to take out the bolts. Keep the jack there in place. Make the arms equal lengths. Change the height of the jack as needed.

Reinstall components.

Be careful as your pinion angle may be purposely set like that which is why the springs are bowing. If that's the case you can get coil correction plates potentially.
This makes it sound like both (lower) control arms are being taken loose while the weight of the Jeep is still on the springs. I would NOT suggest doing it this way. You CAN unbolt one arm at a time without supporting the frame, but a jack under the pinion may or may not provide the needed direction for correcting the angle. The pinion may need to go up, but it might need to go down. OP- More info is needed regarding lift, which arms are adjustable, and what your current lengths/angles are. Pictures help.

OP
OP
MikeP1976

MikeP1976

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
This makes it sound like both (lower) control arms are being taken loose while the weight of the Jeep is still on the springs. I would NOT suggest doing it this way. You CAN unbolt one arm at a time without supporting the frame, but a jack under the pinion may or may not provide the needed direction for correcting the angle. The pinion may need to go up, but it might need to go down. OP- More info is needed regarding lift, which arms are adjustable, and what your current lengths/angles are. Pictures help.

The lift is a 3.5" Clayton lift , all control arms are adjustable. The rear lower control arms are adjusted all the way as short as they can go , which has the rear differential pointing up , which has the rear springs not sitting flat on the bottom causing some bow. The wheel also appears to sit slightly too far forward in the wheel well .I'll attach some pictures

20201123_151703.jpg

Screenshot_20201124-095846_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201124-095744_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20201124-095813_Facebook.jpg

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I’ll agree that it doesn’t look right. Have you contacted Clayton, or are there suggested lengths listed in the instructions?
Edit: here are Clayton’s suggestions. How do yours compare?

BB09C840-5290-4233-8A98-1DEB322A9A17.png

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The upper looks too long and the lower looks too short. Measure from the "middle of the bolts" on the control arms using the chart that Renegade attached and adjust accordingly. To fine tune, I would start at 1/4" increments and shorten the upper and increase the lower.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
Agreed something is off. But DO NOT GET FIXATED ON ARM LENGTH!!! Start with their suggested length and measure that the axle is square and the wheel/tires is centered in the wheel well. Best method so adjust arms properly is as follows:

Remove springs from both sides, leave shocks connected. Fully compress axle to the bumpstop. Adjust control arms so the bump stop is centered with bump stop plate. Note, your arms may be all different lengths and thats ok if the axle is squared. Reinstall springs and measure the axle again from a common point on both sides of the Jeep, a body mount would be a good measuring point. If the axle is square, set your pinion angle with your upper control arms only, leave your lowers as is.

OP
OP
MikeP1976

MikeP1976

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
I’ll agree that it doesn’t look right. Have you contacted Clayton, or are there suggested lengths listed in the instructions?
Edit: here are Clayton’s suggestions. How do yours compare?

Jeep Gladiator Steps to Adjust Control Arms. BB09C840-5290-4233-8A98-1DEB322A9A17
Yes I measured what I actually have against this chart , that's how I came to the conclusion that it was way off I'm my original post. The upper is 1/8 inch too long , and the lower is 5/8inch too short.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Yes I measured what I actually have against this chart , that's how I came to the conclusion that it was way off I'm my original post. The upper is 1/8 inch too long , and the lower is 5/8inch too short.
I would adjust the lowers first and get the wheels centered in the wheel well. After that, you will see if the uppers need to be shortened..
Sponsored