Stock JT Willys Off Road Capabilities Advice

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Over the last few weeks I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my new Willys Gladiator! As I sit inside dreaming about all my off-roading adventures, waiting for a good snow storm to play in and googling the different trails I want to go try out, I find myself unsure about what I will and won't be able to tackle in this bad boy. The last thing I want to do is damage my new $50k truck because I didn't know what I was doing!

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie! Alot of what I see out there is for the Rubicon and I'm not sure how the different features translate to off-road capabilities
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
If there is a Jeep Adventure Academy *anywhere* near you, I would highly recommend it. My wife really enjoyed the Hollister Hills class and felt really good about how much she learned, but also got confidence about how much she knew.

https://jeepadventureacademy.com/

It looks like they're kicking off at the end of March.

The day-long class is a little bit of talking and a lot of driving exercises. My wife was the only person driving who knew about "off road cruise control" and that's a perfect example of how neat it is to get familiar with your Jeep. The instructors are all Jamboree folks, the other people were really nice, and the range of experience is intended to get people using their Jeep safely to have fun.

The instructors were all from Michigan, we stayed at the same hotel, a half-dozen people asked if it was a Gladiator convention or something!
Jeep Gladiator Stock JT Willys Off Road Capabilities Advice PXL_20201016_015112100

Almost all the Jeeps were stock/near stock, the day helped my wife understand why the first thing I did with our new truck was put 35's on. The stock Jeeps did GREAT!
Jeep Gladiator Stock JT Willys Off Road Capabilities Advice PXL_20201016_174208051

Jeep Gladiator Stock JT Willys Off Road Capabilities Advice PXL_20201016_160012720

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Over the last few weeks I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my new Willys Gladiator! As I sit inside dreaming about all my off-roading adventures, waiting for a good snow storm to play in and googling the different trails I want to go try out, I find myself unsure about what I will and won't be able to tackle in this bad boy. The last thing I want to do is damage my new $50k truck because I didn't know what I was doing!

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie! Alot of what I see out there is for the Rubicon and I'm not sure how the different features translate to off-road capabilities
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/stock-overland-off-roading.30669/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...almost-stock-sport-s-off-roading.40770/unread

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Oh man they have one in Llano, Texas in April. Think I am going to attend it. Hopefully I will have my new bumper and winch.

OP
OP
mbush91

mbush91

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If there is a Jeep Adventure Academy *anywhere* near you, I would highly recommend it. My wife really enjoyed the Hollister Hills class and felt really good about how much she learned, but also got confidence about how much she knew.

https://jeepadventureacademy.com/

It looks like they're kicking off at the end of March.

The day-long class is a little bit of talking and a lot of driving exercises. My wife was the only person driving who knew about "off road cruise control" and that's a perfect example of how neat it is to get familiar with your Jeep. The instructors are all Jamboree folks, the other people were really nice, and the range of experience is intended to get people using their Jeep safely to have fun.

The instructors were all from Michigan, we stayed at the same hotel, a half-dozen people asked if it was a Gladiator convention or something!
Jeep Gladiator Stock JT Willys Off Road Capabilities Advice PXL_20201016_160012720

Almost all the Jeeps were stock/near stock, the day helped my wife understand why the first thing I did with our new truck was put 35's on. The stock Jeeps did GREAT!

Looks like they are coming to Detroit in October! Will definitely consider this thanks!!

Sponsored

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
I was considering the 2" Mopar lift, but I think I'm just going to put on 285x70r17 tires (about 1" taller than stock) when the factory ones wear out. I will be doing some towing in the 4k lbs range, so I don't want to mess with towing ability too much. But I love these Firestone Destination MT.

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
Had opportunity to crawl under my JT today. Found where contact was made underneath. The only things that got scraped were the brackets for the trailing arms/lower control arms. They don't make skidplates for these because it would hamper articulation. Only "fix" is a suspension lift or bigger tires (or both).

I think Ben avoided any scrapes or "thunks", but he is on 2.5" suspension & 35" tires. Me & Nacho both had a couple of thunks, but no real damage and both with completely stock trucks (Willys & Rubicon).

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
I wouldn't hesitate to run any 1 to 4 difficulty rated or green rated trails with stock Willys.

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
I just took an off-road driving course in Virginia in my stock 80th JT, running the OEM Dueller AT tires. I was highly impressed what the JT can do in it's pure stock form and your Willys will be fine. Highly recommend finding a course to take and learn driving techniques.

Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Tore up the trails at Rausch Creek today with benbean66 & nachoruby. Nothing but impressed with how my stock Willys JT performed.
Jeep Gladiator Stock JT Willys Off Road Capabilities Advice 20210711_140108
Had opportunity to crawl under my JT today. Found where contact was made underneath. The only things that got scraped were the brackets for the trailing arms/lower control arms. They don't make skidplates for these because it would hamper articulation. Only "fix" is a suspension lift or bigger tires (or both).

I think Ben avoided any scrapes or "thunks", but he is on 2.5" suspension & 35" tires. Me & Nacho both had a couple of thunks, but no real damage and both with completely stock trucks (Willys & Rubicon).
Nice first hand account. I'm looking to get out to Rausch soon. I've got a lightly modified Sport S, and this makes me feel more comfortable testing it out there. I'm only a little over an hour away, but 3 small kids make it hard to get a free day. I'm thinking of getting an air bnb there for a couple of nights. Some decent looking cabins on that area and pretty cheap too

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
A stock JT in any configuration will surprise most novice wheelers. Coming from the old days of CJ-7s, and later XJs, the new Jeeps are way more capable. The brake lock differential traction aid helps quite a bit compared to the past Jeeps with only open diffs. The front sway bar can be disconnected in no time using a ratchet and some zip ties which also makes a difference with no money out of pocket.

The Mojave/Rubicon take this even further with factory locker(s), etc. but the bone stock Sport can handle quite a bit.

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
I didn't disconnect my front sway bar. Did fine. Nacho was behind me on trails & he said I didn't have any wheel spin (other than when I pulled Ben out of 3 feet of mud, lol.)

I don't have lockers, just factory LSD that comes with tow package, Willys, & maybe couple other variants.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
You will find that a stock JT will perform well on medium trails or lower so 6 or lower. If its a high medium trail then picking your lines is the key.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
There are good options for skidplates for both frame and axle brackets. They do not impede articulation.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-rear-lower-control-arm-frame-side-skid-plates-jt-gladiator.html

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-80515.htm

Sponsored