Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Volvo Xc90 Polestar
Occupation
Finder of bad stuff and people.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a friend who has a cabin in Tahoma about a mile from the end of the Rubicon trail. We have hit the trail numerous times in my JKU with a 4 inch lift and 35's, 4.11, full suspension, winch......., and her stock JK willys. I never left her behind, (we never hit Cadillac hill or some of the crawling spots- because crawling) the only thing that ever happened is she destroyed a set of real nerf bars. I could clear things she couldn't, but those bars saved her rig. So my advice is get some real heavy duty rock rails, especially with the mile long body on the gladiator and that horrible breakover angle. These side steps on the Overland look good, but there is not a scrap of metal in them- completely plastic.
BTW the north is pretty much the Willys of the JT world, You are way more capable than most Overlands, you have a LSD in the back, and I believe a 1.5 inch level in the front.
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Went offroading in mine stock(before upgrades). Also did offroading in my JKU and the wifes JK bone stock. Before I got the JT had a friend rent a Sport JL and we took the 14 JK and went to St George. They are more than capable for up to medium trails.

Just have to watch breakover and it doesnt turn as tight as the JK or Unlimiteds.

Pic is trail from St George to West end of Grand Canyon. 70 miles one way. Mostly rutty dirt but the last 10 miles was really Rocky. This is where lava flow blocked the canyon until the water built up and finally blew thru it. Cool area.
Jeep Gladiator Stock Overland Off-Roading 20190601_153820

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
I have a friend who has a cabin in Tahoma about a mile from the end of the Rubicon trail. We have hit the trail numerous times in my JKU with a 4 inch lift and 35's, 4.11, full suspension, winch......., and her stock JK willys. I never left her behind, (we never hit Cadillac hill or some of the crawling spots- because crawling) the only thing that ever happened is she destroyed a set of real nerf bars. I could clear things she couldn't, but those bars saved her rig. So my advice is get some real heavy duty rock rails, especially with the mile long body on the gladiator and that horrible breakover angle. These side steps on the Overland look good, but there is not a scrap of metal in them- completely plastic.
I really like how the Overland steps protect the sides of the Gladiator from rocks and mud thrown by the tires. Anyone know if there are any rock rails/sliders that fit under them?

SD Gladiator

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1989 XJ,
You will do fine in a stock Gladiator. Very capable. I've lifted mine 2 inches to help with the break over angle problem and put 35 inch Toyo Open Country tires on and now clearance issues and traction are not a problem on most trails. To help my wife get in the truck I installed Rock Slide Engineering power steps that deploy a step when the door opens.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
BTW the north is pretty much the Willys of the JT world, You are way more capable than most Overlands, you have a LSD in the back, and I believe a 1.5 inch level in the front.
LSD is available on the normal Overland as well. Didn't realize the North had a leveling kit on the front

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
For the Gladiator to keep up with regular Jeeps, wider trails are better... This will allow you to go more "sideways" over obstacles and ruts and reduce the break over angle issues. Remember, if you think you are going to scrape, Look and see if you can take a more sideways approach to help avoid scraping.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Where did you see that the North Edition's suspension was different from the Overland's?

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
Before I installed the lift, I took my Overland off roading stock all the time. I didn't do anything extreme, but it's my daily driver so I don't plan on it. If I wanted to do something extreme, I would build a hardcore off road rig for that. And I went on more than just dirt roads. Actual trails. Mud, 50ft high climbs with rocks. etc.

Long story short, it's capable of going out and having some fun!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Wait, what? My overland has a LSD in the rear but I’ve never heard anything about a level in the front. I have noticed that my Overland doesn’t have as much rake as the sports I see on here. It’s almost level from the factory.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
North edition is customer Preferred package 24e on base Overland model and includes the aforementioned LSD and bigger AT tires, no lift, however the ride is on 2 inch bigger tires, So higher than stock overland

Customer Preferred Package 24E $3,325
North Edition
8.4–Inch Radio and Premium Audio Group
Cold Weather Group
Black Freedom Top® 3–Piece Hard Top
Alpine® Premium Audio System
Side Steps
North Badge
Heated Front Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Remote–Start System (N/A w/ Manual Transmission)
Rear View Auto–Dimming Mirror
Rear Window Defroster All–Weather Slush Mats
Jeep Trail Rated
Plate Trac–Lok® Anti–Spin Rear Differential
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
255 / 70R18 BSW All–Terrain Tires

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I beg to differ. Took mine on trails and scraped by rocks. Cosmetic damage on outside but they do have a steel frame based on observations and weight
Jeep Gladiator Stock Overland Off-Roading 0719155F-6543-422C-BC72-50F188FA70DB

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I beg to differ. Took mine on trails and scraped by rocks. Cosmetic damage on outside but they do have a steel frame based on observations and weight
Jeep Gladiator Stock Overland Off-Roading 0719155F-6543-422C-BC72-50F188FA70DB
I crawled underneath and didn’t see anything but plastic, that’s awesome If they have steel in them. I love how they look and if they provide actual protection even better,

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
North edition is customer Preferred package 24e on base Overland model and includes the aforementioned LSD and bigger AT tires, no lift, however the ride is on 2 inch bigger tires, So higher than stock overland

Customer Preferred Package 24E $3,325
North Edition
8.4–Inch Radio and Premium Audio Group
Cold Weather Group
Black Freedom Top® 3–Piece Hard Top
Alpine® Premium Audio System
Side Steps
North Badge
Heated Front Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Remote–Start System (N/A w/ Manual Transmission)
Rear View Auto–Dimming Mirror
Rear Window Defroster All–Weather Slush Mats
Jeep Trail Rated
Plate Trac–Lok® Anti–Spin Rear Differential
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
255 / 70R18 BSW All–Terrain Tires
Actually the only thing listed here that's not available on a normal Overland, without the North package, is the badge. My Overland came with 18" wheels and LSD. I have the all season tires but AT's were optional.
I have heard that the North package comes with a good retrieval/recovery kit but other than that, it doesn't seem much different than what was already available as optional on the standard Overland.

Indavis01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually the only thing listed here that's not available on a normal Overland, without the North package, is the badge. My Overland came with 18" wheels and LSD. I have the all season tires but AT's were optional.
I have heard that the North package comes with a good retrieval/recovery kit but other than that, it doesn't seem much different than what was already available as optional on the standard Overland.
Yes. The OP was asking about a stock Overland, however he had ordered an Overland North edition. While you can Option the Overland to have all the North goodies, the base Overland does not include them. The Willy's is very similar in package to the North as far as off road changes go- mainly the LSD and the AT tires (the Willy's also has rock rails). The North is a package and a sub model just as the Willy's is for the JL, although the Willy's is a sub of the Sport. I had read an article on the North edition being higher than a standard Sport, It did not specify how- apparently it was from the larger rims and tires, not a level. I had compared the Overland I bought to the North and found that the extra package included things I didn't want to pay extra for at a premium and didn't include things I wanted like a matched hardtop. For Illustration, My JKU and My Friend's Willys on the Rubicon.

IMG_6229.JPG

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I crawled underneath and didn’t see anything but plastic, that’s awesome If they have steel in them. I love how they look and if they provide actual protection even better,
The installation instructions have them coming as separate pieces that you need to assemble and bolt together. Mine came pre-assembled. I will see if I can find the diagram

That damage is from a hard hit, impact on a rock. It slid across a rock going up a waterfall and only shaved off the outer plastic a bit. It is certainly not as much protection as sliders but it is more than nothing
Sponsored