Stock Wheel (17x7.5) All Terrain Tire (33-35) Guide

ducatijosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
285/70R17 doesn't have any issues at all and looks pretty good. You could go a little bigger pretty comfortably if you stay skinny.
That’s the stock tire size of the Mojave
Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Stock Rubicon-
Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 315/70R17 D (34.61 x 13.27) [77] $370
(The 13" wide must be counting the side tread.) At wheel lock, light rub on inner fender, easy fix; slight rub on lower control arm-not enough to worry about.
Jeep Gladiator Stock Wheel (17x7.5) All Terrain Tire (33-35) Guide DunkinTruck

sparkjtr22

First Name
Spark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 22
Stock Rubicon-
Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 315/70R17 D (34.61 x 13.27) [77] $370
(The 13" wide must be counting the side tread.) At wheel lock, light rub on inner fender, easy fix; slight rub on lower control arm-not enough to worry about.
Jeep Gladiator Stock Wheel (17x7.5) All Terrain Tire (33-35) Guide DunkinTruck
I have an exact model you have that I just got it, mine is front 1.5in spacer leveling installed, I love my rubicon stock wheel and debating if I should get new wheels but saw this. rubicon stock wheel fits 315x70x17 with no issue? thanks

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
285/70R17 doesn't have any issues at all and looks pretty good. You could go a little bigger pretty comfortably if you stay skinny.
And save around 50 bucks a tire at Costco...vs 75's. Why?

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
And save around 50 bucks a tire at Costco...vs 75's. Why?
For me it is mostly about weight of the tire. Going to the 75 will net you more height for sure but it also moves almost every tire into the heavier weight ratings. You gain about 10lbs per tire and an inch of height. For me, I'd rather just go to a 35" tire if I am going to gain the weight. The biggest mpg killer in my experience is tire weight.

Now this may or may not factor into someone else's life for sure and is personal preference. If I was constantly in rocks I'd trade weight for tougher tires for sure. On the other side I spend 90% of my time on the road and gladly like to keep my 2mpg's from running really light 35's on light wheels. I get the same mpg's on my 35's as my stock 33" Falkens as the 35's are 11lbs a tire lighter. I almost never drop below 16.5mpg with a top speed in my commute of 50mph.

At the end of the day there is no wrong answer, just different use cases.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
For me it is mostly about weight of the tire. Going to the 75 will net you more height for sure but it also moves almost every tire into the heavier weight ratings. You gain about 10lbs per tire and an inch of height. For me, I'd rather just go to a 35" tire if I am going to gain the weight. The biggest mpg killer in my experience is tire weight.

Now this may or may not factor into someone else's life for sure and is personal preference. If I was constantly in rocks I'd trade weight for tougher tires for sure. On the other side I spend 90% of my time on the road and gladly like to keep my 2mpg's from running really light 35's on light wheels. I get the same mpg's on my 35's as my stock 33" Falkens as the 35's are 11lbs a tire lighter. I almost never drop below 16.5mpg with a top speed in my commute of 50mph.

At the end of the day there is no wrong answer, just different use cases.
Diameter is a bigger factor than weight.

Here is a good explanation from another thread:

What you're thinking of is angular momentum. A wheel takes some amount of effort to start it spinning and some amount to stop it. Conceptually, the "bigger" and "heavier" the tire, the harder these processes will be.

Breaking it down mathematically, angular momentum (L) is the moment of inertia (I) times rotational speed (w), so L = I*w. But what's I (the moment of inertia)? You can think of a wheel as a disc spinning about it's axis. For that geometry, I is 1/2 of the mass (m) times the radius (r) squared, or I = 1/2m*r^2 (note that in this case, m is the mass of the entire wheel; rim plus tire).

Basically, an increase is radius is going to much more impactful to momentum than an increase in mass because radius is squared and mass is not. If you have a 35 and a 37 that are basically the same weight, the 37 will be harder to start/stop spinning and that increases the load on the starting/stopping spinny parts of your Jeep.

But 37s will make you look cooler.

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Diameter is a bigger factor than weight.

Here is a good explanation from another thread:
Oh for sure. That is an awesome explanation and I know diameter is a bigger impact. My point was simply for the added weight and diameter of a 75 series (assuming I am stepping up to a E weight rated tire in the 75 and not in the 35" tire options) I might consider skipping to a light 35" tire. On the flip side if I knew I wanted a really tough tire the 285/75 becomes a lot more appealing.

That is for me why I would run a 285/70 over a 285/75. I want the light tire and that 0.5" of extra clearance for 10lbs a tire would sway me to either jump to a light 315/70 or stay at the stock 285/70. I do like the skinny 285/75 though. The much tougher E rated tire shouldn't be overlooked though.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Oh for sure. That is an awesome explanation and I know diameter is a bigger impact. My point was simply for the added weight and diameter of a 75 series (assuming I am stepping up to a E weight rated tire in the 75 and not in the 35" tire options) I might consider skipping to a light 35" tire. On the flip side if I knew I wanted a really tough tire the 285/75 becomes a lot more appealing.

That is for me why I would run a 285/70 over a 285/75. I want the light tire and that 0.5" of extra clearance for 10lbs a tire would sway me to either jump to a light 315/70 or stay at the stock 285/70. I do like the skinny 285/75 though. The much tougher E rated tire shouldn't be overlooked though.
I see what you're saying now. Thanks for the further explanation.
Sponsored