Komato

Komato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
RC 2.5” Level up front (springs and shocks)
Daystar 3/4” spacer lift in the back.

Tires are Kenda Klevar AT2s (E rated, 65lbs per tire). They’ve been good so far but I’ve only had them for a little over a week. No wheeling or extreme weather performance test yet. They are rated for extreme snow though if that’s something you need.

@BaliMawr

Yea, mine is a max tow with a lift. Details above. Just fyi, if you want rake, go with something bigger than the 3/4” rear spacer.

Thanks for the info! I have a Overland diesel on order and have purchased the mopar lift (dealer installing when it comes in) I didn't do enough tire research prior to buying the 17" Willys take off wheels....may have to sell them and buy aftermarket wheels to get the tires I want
Sponsored

Hostile4Jeeps

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Looks good Hostile, these may be an option I have to look at, was hoping for some BFG KO2's but i'd like to have a AT tire that are true 34"-35". Do the Nitto's wear good? Had a buddy that had a set of Nitto AT's and they didn't last very long for him.
The Trail Grapplers that I have are M/T however they are fairly quite in my opinion and look great. I wanted the stock rims w these tires also so I wasn't flying rocks all over the side of the rig and thus far (3500 miles) it's accomplished that. Can't say how long they'll last but from what others report, if you rotate and inflate properly it should be for many many miles.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
How about a 7.5" on a 4" tube rim without safety bead.

a 12.5 will work on a 7.5 just pinches the contact patch slightly so requires less tire pressure to get a flat patch.

I ran 35x12.5r17's on my sport s max tow for 40k no issues. Also aired down to 5 psi when stuck in the sand and didnt lose a bead.

C1CA51FF-B127-461F-9ED7-D20E7F6CCF24.JPG

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
My 315/70-17s do fine on the stock wheel. I’ve gone up to 90 mph on them with zero problems or discomfort. Cornering is definitely softer than the 33s I had previously but that could be the low tire pressure I’m running (34 psi cold).

I haven’t had a chance to wheel them yet so I don’t know how low in pressure I can go before it comes off the bead. I’ll probably stay above 20 psi cold just in case.
The more narrow rim holds the bead better when aired down.

I’ve aired my 35x12.5r17 in stock rims down to upper teens, no issues.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
It's a self maintained chart from discount tire. based on the sizes the chain is willing to warranty the installation for.

Like anything else, it's not a function of what's 100% true or false, but rather who you trust. I trust discount tire.
This is okay in theory. In practice I had a Discount Tire manager at Store A turn down my business for this reason. Manage at Store B was happy to take it and sell me the tire certificates to match.

Practically of course running 35s on a 7.5" rim is 1,000% fine.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Thanks for the info! I have a Overland diesel on order and have purchased the mopar lift (dealer installing when it comes in) I didn't do enough tire research prior to buying the 17" Willys take off wheels....may have to sell them and buy aftermarket wheels to get the tires I want
You are perfectly fine running a 12.5” wide tire on stock 17” JT rims.

If I were to guess, those saying “don’t do it” haven’t ever done it for the life of a tire.
I suspect those of saying “it’s just fine” have done it. I bet you’d be hard pressed to find someone that has/is doing it that will say “don’t”.

I have; no issues.

My current 35x12.5R17 tires have no weird wear. 18,000 miles on them.
Go to discount tires website, and read what they believe is “okay”.
You’ll find that they agree with me, or rather, I agree with them. lol

OP
OP
Komato

Komato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
You are perfectly fine running a 12.5” wide tire on stock 17” JT rims.

If I were to guess, those saying “don’t do it” haven’t ever done it for the life of a tire.
I suspect those of saying “it’s just fine” have done it. I bet you’d be hard pressed to find someone that has/is doing it that will say “don’t”.

I have; no issues.

My current 35x12.5R17 tires have no weird wear. 18,000 miles on them.
Go to discount tires website, and read what they believe is “okay”.
You’ll find that they agree with me, or rather, I agree with them. lol

Thanks for the reply. I've seen lots on here say it's ok and obviously are doing it. My biggest concern with it is kinda two fold:
1. Could there be negative effects doing so with towing 5-6000 lbs (blow outs ect.)

2. Finding a shop to mount them and If there's an issue is it covered under manufacturer warranty

Unfortunately the closest discount tire for me is about a hour and a half away so that's not really an option for me

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Thanks for the reply. I've seen lots on here say it's ok and obviously are doing it. My biggest concern with it is kinda two fold:
1. Could there be negative effects doing so with towing 5-6000 lbs (blow outs ect.)

2. Finding a shop to mount them and If there's an issue is it covered under manufacturer warranty

Unfortunately the closest discount tire for me is about a hour and a half away so that's not really an option for me
I’ve had zero issues hauling at the limit with my Rubicon and tires.

Blowouts, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, are usually heat related.

You’ll usually see more chunks of tire on the interstate here in late spring to earlyfall when it’s 90+ degrees.

Blowouts for a passenger car/truck are going to be from underinflation or overloaded.
You won’t have a problem with that as long as you keep your pressure at an appropriate psi for the load your hauling/towing.

As an example, I just got back from a trip this weekend, 92 degrees. I ran 42psi in my tires with a Harley in the bed and lots of gear, guns, ammo, and beer for a guys long weekend. I was at least 800lbs in the bed. I ran 80mph and zero issues. (I take the 5th as to how fast I actually went, but was grateful to be in a group that was “moving”.)

As for shops, call around. A shop has the right to say “no”.

Costco, at least here in Dallas area, say no.
Local Goodyear tire store said okay.

I’m lucky and have three discount tires within 20minutes of me; so got the tires there.

Dust

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
UPS Feeder Driver
7.5” rim is too narrow, balloons the 35” x 12.50. After 35-40k your tires will have noticeable wear in the middle. Yes, I have done it, mine were BF Goodrich T/A. No other issue just wear. It’s a shame as I do love the look of my stock Rubi rims. When I go to 37” on my AEV’s I will mount my 35” Toyos on my stockers anyway!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
7.5” rim is too narrow, balloons the 35” x 12.50. After 35-40k your tires will have noticeable wear in the middle. Yes, I have done it, mine were BF Goodrich T/A. No other issue just wear. It’s a shame as I do love the look of my stock Rubi rims. When I go to 37” on my AEV’s I will mount my 35” Toyos on my stockers anyway!
Did you chalk test and inflate accordingly?

I have half tread left on mine and it’s even across the tread.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you get balooning and wearing the center then you are running the wrong air pressure a 35x12.5r17 load range C or greater can run 22-24psi cold on a gladiator. I ran mine at 22 and got 40k miles out of the set with even wear (BFG KO2). Hot PSI around 25-26.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

a 12.5 will work on a 7.5 just pinches the contact patch slightly so requires less tire pressure to get a flat patch.

I ran 35x12.5r17's on my sport s max tow for 40k no issues. Also aired down to 5 psi when stuck in the sand and didnt lose a bead.

Jeep Gladiator Stock wheels and 35’s C1CA51FF-B127-461F-9ED7-D20E7F6CCF24.JPG
That's a beautiful 2A. Did you restore it yourself?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a beautiful 2A. Did you restore it yourself?

Yes its a 20 footer. Did everything myself but the tub was actually painted by the previous owner (was sitting on the ground outside).

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance

Jeep Gladiator Stock wheels and 35’s C1CA51FF-B127-461F-9ED7-D20E7F6CCF24.JPG
Sure, just jump in the thread and out-cool everyone there.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
Here is a set of 35x12.5R17 Falken WildPeak A/T’s mounted on a set of OEM LE wheels that are only 7.5-inches wide. I wheeled them until I upgraded to 37’s and a set of 9.5-inch wide Black Rhino Rapid wheels. I liked the extra protection on a smaller rim. Would have liked an 8.5-inch wheel. Happy with what I have now, but they were my third choice. Only ones I could find in stock….

Jeep Gladiator Stock wheels and 35’s 7FACA527-7EC7-4754-8B5B-6DB033B43FC2
Sponsored