Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
That's my take on it too. This is what FCA says:

" The automaker says that it is aware of 26 customer assistance records, 36 warranty claims, six field reports, one injury, and no crashes that could be related to this issue."

So, one injury (not defined), and no crashes. Statistically, this could be typical. I had five Tacomas all MTs, and this happened, but rarely, on the Tacomas as well. I searched on this forum, and there is no mention of a clutch/pressure plate exploding. There are a number on this forum where their Gladiator is the first MT they've driven. I'd also like to see if the problems are less common with the 4.10 gearing on the Mojaves and Rubicons. I have about 8000 miles on mine including rock work with clutch work, and no issues.
my gut tells me the issues are a convergence of poorly suited design, poor design/build quality and poor driving. I’ve driven stick shift as a daily driver since 1992 and have never replaced a clutch due to wear. I didn’t really have “problems” with the stock clutch other than it didn’t perform to my intended use for the Jeep. The worst was backing a loaded (3,700lb) trailer up my driveway (a 6 foot elevation change not something big) - left foot nowhere near the clutch - not riding or slipping and the clutch would smell of burning/slipping. 5.13 gears made it better but the Centerforce clutch, heavier flywheel and upgraded hydraulics completely eliminated the problem. Since then, I even picked up 2 tons of stone (with trailer I was over 5,500lbs) and had no burning/slipping of the Centerforce clutch backing, up down hills, etc. offroad wasn’t bad stock but it’s so much better now - point and shoot in 4 low both feet on the floor and crawl over everything.
Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
my gut tells me the issues are a convergence of poorly suited design, poor design/build quality and poor driving. I’ve driven stick shift as a daily driver since 1992 and have never replaced a clutch due to wear. I didn’t really have “problems” with the stock clutch other than it didn’t perform to my intended use for the Jeep. The worst was backing a loaded (3,700lb) trailer up my driveway (a 6 foot elevation change not something big) - left foot nowhere near the clutch - not riding or slipping and the clutch would smell of burning/slipping. 5.13 gears made it better but the Centerforce clutch, heavier flywheel and upgraded hydraulics completely eliminated the problem. Since then, I even picked up 2 tons of stone (with trailer I was over 5,500lbs) and had no burning/slipping of the Centerforce clutch backing, up down hills, etc. offroad wasn’t bad stock but it’s so much better now - point and shoot in 4 low both feet on the floor and crawl over everything.
You make me want to upgrade my clutch every time you post haha. Like you, always driven a manual since the mid 90's, and never had clutch issues in any of the vehicles. And, to be honest, haven't had any issues with the clutch in my Gladiator other than the super light flywheel just being a little annoying. I am not concerned at all it's just going to randomly explode or anything.... I can only assume those are outlier cases that are poorly driven for the most part.

Which Centerforce did you end up with? I know you've posted it, but this would be a great place to have that info too.

The ACT clutch guy has been way more active lately too, glad we have good options.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I'll be going to 4.88s, since I'll stay with 35s, either this summer of the fall. I'm a geoarchaeologist and have projects this summer in SW Texas, Colorado, and New Mexico, and don't want to go through the break-in going to and through field projects. One of my local dealers said that if I do that, any warranty issues between the outside of the axles and the diff will not be covered. Another dealer's service manager said that it definitely wasn't true, and since I'll be using the Dana-Spicer gears it would be doubly covered. I'm getting them from Northridge since I have so many points.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You make me want to upgrade my clutch every time you post haha. Like you, always driven a manual since the mid 90's, and never had clutch issues in any of the vehicles. And, to be honest, haven't had any issues with the clutch in my Gladiator other than the super light flywheel just being a little annoying. I am not concerned at all it's just going to randomly explode or anything.... I can only assume those are outlier cases that are poorly driven for the most part.

Which Centerforce did you end up with? I know you've posted it, but this would be a great place to have that info too.

The ACT clutch guy has been way more active lately too, glad we have good options.
I did the Dual Friction - mainly because I tow. It requires more pedal effort but I got used to it in a couple days and don’t even notice now. It’s an entirely different beast now. Highly recommend the upgrade.

Sponsored

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
Anyone heard of or actually had success getting some reimbursement for aftermarket installs? I suspect once mopar has a "solution" they won't offer a reimbursement and I would frankly rather go halfsies on something quality than whatever they come up with for free.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone heard of or actually had success getting some reimbursement for aftermarket installs? I suspect once mopar has a "solution" they won't offer a reimbursement and I would frankly rather go halfsies on something quality than whatever they come up with for free.
Been a few years, but I knew of one instance on a JK were they could not get a front end to align after replacing pretty much everything up front. FCA/Jeep authorized and reimbursed for the install of aftermarket adjustable ball joints. It was pretty much a one off that had Jeep engineering blessing.

With the current issue, I think their fix will be the only thing they will compensate going forward. They may reimburse for aftermarket installs before the notice dropped but not afterwards.

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the current issue, I think their fix will be the only thing they will compensate going forward. They may reimburse for aftermarket installs before the notice dropped but not afterwards.
thats exactly what i would suspect and their solution probably won't be the best one.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thats exactly what i would suspect and their solution probably won't be the best one.
I’m not even Messing with Jeep. I went Centerforce and I’m happy with it.

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
I asked my dealer if they’d work with me at all on a Centerforce clutch install instead of waiting for the recall solution. They said no.

Sponsored

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah guess I should have clarified. Any luck getting reimbursed for an independent install on an aftermarket clutch? My Dealer also said no to installing anything nor from Jeep.

eroc87

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
I’m not even Messing with Jeep. I went Centerforce and I’m happy with it.
Same here. I just got my centerforce II installed over the weekend. Wow, what a difference!!

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A dual-mass flywheel has unique torsional dampening characteristics that reduce transmitting engine pulses to the transmission, therefore reducing gear rattle noise. Also by putting the dampening before the clutch, solid center discs can be used which lowers loads on the synchronizers. I don't see these benefits as applicable to the Jeep JL/JT and the Aisin transmission, especially given the tradeoffs.
I know nothing about this system. But based on your description, it would also seem to reduce transient peak loads on the entire transmission. Which is not a bad thing.

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
I know nothing about this system. But based on your description, it would also seem to reduce transient peak loads on the entire transmission. Which is not a bad thing.
Not really. Torque spikes much greater than simple engine torque can far out exceed the damping spring rates in the dual-mass flywheel or a spring center disc. The biggest cause for transmission or driveline damage from peak loads would be a loose nut behind the wheel.

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT