Sponsored

(Stupid?) Question About Oil Filter

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I know everyone has their own opinion on oil change intervals. From the first 1,000 miles, 3,000 or 8,000 miles. Everyone has their reasons.

My plan is to do the first oil change at 6,500-7,500mi. Now, people talk about the first oil being dirtier than the rest due to tiny particulates and such from the wearing in process. Would there be any benefit in just changing the oil filter by itself at say, 2,000 or 3,000 miles? Then doing a complete change at the regular time frame? Or should I just let it go until it's time to change everything?
Sponsored

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
I know everyone has their own opinion on oil change intervals. From the first 1,000 miles, 3,000 or 8,000 miles. Everyone has their reasons.

My plan is to do the first oil change at 6,500-7,500mi. Now, people talk about the first oil being dirtier than the rest due to tiny particulates and such from the wearing in process. Would there be any benefit in just changing the oil filter by itself at say, 2,000 or 3,000 miles? Then doing a complete change at the regular time frame? Or should I just let it go until it's time to change everything?
Absolutely changing just the filter will be beneficial, But my thought is Your under there doing the filter. how much more effort is it to drop the plug out and add fresh oil? Its a Brand new motor and just the smallest of flakes of debris will score a bearing, cyl wall, or even worse plug up a oil gallery. Back in the days of when i was building motors I did a oild change at ten hours, then at 1500 miles, and then 5K after that. just to make sure.. Overkill? probably but my mentor would have kicked my backside six ways to sunday.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Since I have the wave program with 4 oil changes in 2 years I will do it every 6 months regardless of the mileage and I see no reason just to do the filter

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Absolutely changing just the filter will be beneficial, But my thought is Your under there doing the filter. how much more effort is it to drop the plug out and add fresh oil? Its a Brand new motor and just the smallest of flakes of debris will score a bearing, cyl wall, or even worse plug up a oil gallery. Back in the days of when i was building motors I did a oild change at ten hours, then at 1500 miles, and then 5K after that. just to make sure.. Overkill? probably but my mentor would have kicked my backside six ways to sunday.
Your not under anything to do the filter it’s on top of the engine you can change the filter in less than 5 minutes

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Your not under anything to do the filter it’s on top of the engine you can change the filter in less than 5 minutes
Under the hood? so your under it. tamato tomato

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrainMan

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just changed everything. Pretty easy. Glad I did because I feel better. Also the oil was much darker than I expected.

OP
OP
TrainMan

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TrainMan

Did you remember to reset Oil Life?

Oil Life Reset:
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.
3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.
------
-----

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure:
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.
Yes sir I did. The first way.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Under the hood? so your under it. tamato tomato
well I say it is a big difference between popping tge hood and changing the filter as opposed to crawling under the jeep to change the oil....

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I have always done 1st change at 1500, second at 2500 third at 5000. Every 5000 there after. Never had a engine issue, burn oil or anything else.
Always worked for me and makes me feel better. I love my rigs so it's worth it and oil is cheaper than engine repairs or a shorter engine life.
Does it really add any more life. I don't know but it sure doesn't shorten it.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator

Just my 2cents. From my training in the military and current job regarding lube oil quality I'd say if you are going to change the filter change the oil as well. It's cheap insurance. Once broken in, I'd say let the truck's system tell you when it's time to change it. As I understand it, it will vary based on your driving practices.
I also wouldn't put too much credence on what your oil looks like. If it's not discolored after being in the engine for a bit, then you likely have a problem. In the end, just do what you think you need to. As I said, it's cheap insurance.

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Modern engines take 20,000 - 40,000 miles to completely wear in. Send samples to Blackstone. You'll see elevated levels of iron and copper for at least 20,000 miles.

5000 miles is fine for the first change. After that, let her run until the indicator comes on. Or send samples to Blackstone and see exactly how your oil is holding up. Good oil can go well beyond 10,000 miles while still having sufficient TBN for protection.

Color is not an indicator of oil condition. Some oils and additives can get down right black rather quickly, while still providing the same level of protection as when the oil was clear.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Just a question, don't you have the 4 free jeep wave changes, if so why not just let the dealership change it whenever you want for the first 3 changes. Did my first at 3,800 miles 2nd at 8,800 miles then just let the oil life indicator do it's thing after that. 3rd was at 18,200 miles. I checked the oil right before taking it in at the 3rd one at it still looked pretty light and clean at 18,200 miles and it wasn't low at all. I'll let the indicator do it's thing again for the 4th one and then I got 6 more from the dealership itself after the 4th jeep wave one.

Red-Paint

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2019 RS3
Occupation
Contractor
The wife BMW oil changes are free. They will do the first for you at 15K !!!! WTH It's leased and it's yours so ok.. I couldn't do it, Changed it myself

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The wife BMW oil changes are free. They will do the first for you at 15K !!!! WTH It's leased and it's yours so ok.. I couldn't do it, Changed it myself
I thought that voided the warranty. They told me that we had to have ours changed at the dealership until it was out of warranty. They are free and they did our first one at 8,000 miles. Not sure I could of made it 15,000, that's crazy.
Sponsored