Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
How much space are you all leaving. Sumo gives a range right?
im sure there is a specific answer to this but i just kinda eyeballed it. I wanted the bump stop top NOT be in contact with daily driving. And for it to BE in contact with towing my TT.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
After adding in a total of another inch of spacing. That’s why I like clayton kit. I can go up or down by half inch to get it perfect. If there’s not enough contact I’ll add. Too much. And I’ll take away

F065C5FF-1627-4C82-BE06-C98964BB18C4.jpeg
yea they defintley have a nice setup.

How are you liking the rear sway bar ends? I still have the stocks on the rear and want to swap em out at some point.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
They came with the lift and I did everything at once. I haven’t towed much with it either. For regular driving I really like it. I just got another trailer so now I need to tow it. Let’s see how it goes.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Im excited to tow with it. Just playing around though I hit the sumo springs pretty quick on uneven terrain. Just FYI for those that wheel a lot, probably need to really think through the distance. Right now im righ about an inch. Will update whenever I get a chance to tow.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Update.
The spring inserts I was sent did not fot no matter what I tried. So i gave up on that idea and installed the air bags. Didn’t honestly need them after putting the bump stops in. But I had them so why not right?

63361E0C-0EAF-4B07-8B33-E215067A58E1.jpeg

6854867E-C41E-489D-AE32-214EE3188142.jpeg

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
On most trucks, the SumoSprings are designed to always be in contact with the bump stop pad. The Timbrens are designed to have 0.5" to 1.5" clearance between the pad and the bottom of the spring.

It looks like the opposite is true for the Gladiator. All of you guys have a gap between the pad and your sumosprings. Hmm...

I'm running the Timbrens on my Ram right now (almost identical suspension to the Jeep) because they are rated 8,800 lbs. load. With 1,000 lbs. of tongue weight, my truck rides like a Cadillac and you can definitely feel them working. I'm concerned that since the SumoSprings have a considerably lower load rating that they won't be adequate for doing the job. Has anybody here tried the Timbren kit for Gladiator?

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
On most trucks, the SumoSprings are designed to always be in contact with the bump stop pad. The Timbrens are designed to have 0.5" to 1.5" clearance between the pad and the bottom of the spring.

It looks like the opposite is true for the Gladiator. All of you guys have a gap between the pad and your sumosprings. Hmm...

I'm running the Timbrens on my Ram right now (almost identical suspension to the Jeep) because they are rated 8,800 lbs. load. With 1,000 lbs. of tongue weight, my truck rides like a Cadillac and you can definitely feel them working. I'm concerned that since the SumoSprings have a considerably lower load rating that they won't be adequate for doing the job. Has anybody here tried the Timbren kit for Gladiator?
Glad you asked this. I plan to get some sumo or timbrens for the F/R on the diesel showing up next week. I have read loads of positive reviewes and no negative ones on both. Like you I’m torn on which. The sumo seems to be the better option but the Timbrens look like they offer a better solution for the rear if you have heavier loads. The compromise on the timbrens is it looks like you have to pick between loads for towing, or better ride for offloading. The sumos look like they are a compromise between the two. I sure do hate the sumos front yellow springs though!

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
On most trucks, the SumoSprings are designed to always be in contact with the bump stop pad.
I've installed these on a Tacoma, and a Tundra, and this is true. I'm curious, is there a correct set for the Gladiator? What I'm reading is we do not have a correct set?

But, having said that, on both my Tacoma and Tundra, the ride was both much more stable and stiffer...... ie, don't add these if you don't tow or haul. But do if you tow, haul, or want less body sway. They work really well when set up properly.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
The reason for the clearance between the bump stop and the pad is to allow for a normal ride when truck is not loaded. When the bed has a load in it or a tongue weight from a trailer it settles on the pad allowing the rubber Sumos or Timbrens to assist.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone measured the sumo spring for the gladiator? The website states 11x8x5”. Not sure what those correspond to since it’s a cylinder. I have about 6” between the bump stop and the frame socket with the 2” Mopar lift. Looking for something to just contact when I have the cap and RTT on.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone measured the sumo spring for the gladiator? The website states 11x8x5”. Not sure what those correspond to since it’s a cylinder. I have about 6” between the bump stop and the frame socket with the 2” Mopar lift. Looking for something to just contact when I have the cap and RTT on.
I would call them and ask. There maybe be spacers to install underneath the sumo, or perhaps they have a longer/taller spring option. If you can, report back what they say. I’m going to need them for towning and I’m running the 2.5” Clayton overland lift.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some pics of it helps.

comparing the oem vs sumo
Jeep Gladiator Sumosprings/ Timbren for towing 1D4DF2AE-5D2D-4A45-886A-4BB40B211A0C
Jeep Gladiator Sumosprings/ Timbren for towing D7B73AE1-2A7B-452B-815B-4AFE107BDEC1

i added a 2in bump stop extension
Jeep Gladiator Sumosprings/ Timbren for towing ABFE9D5B-464F-4B9A-ACC3-DFD21B0702E6

after the extension the sumos contact with less weight needed in the bed. Making them more useful
Jeep Gladiator Sumosprings/ Timbren for towing 41725EE5-CC6E-4953-B3D6-1B8B90090775
Jeep Gladiator Sumosprings/ Timbren for towing DD5F178C-9B0F-49EF-AEEA-AE76DCB81DBF

It wasn’t needed but I also air bags in the rear. %100 over kill for my JTMT.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some pics of it helps.

comparing the oem vs sumo
Jeep Gladiator Sumosprings/ Timbren for towing DD5F178C-9B0F-49EF-AEEA-AE76DCB81DBF

i added a 2in bump stop extension

after the extension the sumos contact with less weight needed in the bed. Making them more useful

It wasn’t needed but I also air bags in the rear. %100 over kill for my JTMT.
What bump stops are those? Nice and clean looking.