Sponsored

Survey- For those with misfire issues

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (lemon law), 2021 JTR (on order!), 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
I’m at day 20 at the dealership service station. They’re saying that they had an ah-ha moment , and noticed that the hydraulic tappets aren’t getting consistent oil pressure. They’re ordering parts for a top end rebuild. We’ll see. I’m still not loving the situation. I have owned the vehicle 34 days, and had it in my possession 14. This shouldn’t be my problem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
So does anybody know where the engines were manufactured? Did they all come from the same plant? I'm sure FCA knew a long time ago about the actual cause and were trying to find the least expensive fix possible that would get them thru the warranty period so they would have to recall.

Minnie2011

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting
So does anybody know where the engines were manufactured? Did they all come from the same plant? I'm sure FCA knew a long time ago about the actual cause and were trying to find the least expensive fix possible that would get them thru the warranty period so they would have to recall.
Hi, per the lower right corner of my window sticker, it says engine was made in Mexico. I checked a couple of others online and they indicate the same. I suspect all of the Pentastar engines are coming from the same plant. I understand the Gladiator engine is essentially the same engine as used in the Wranglers, but it was “modified” for the Gladiator. I think this likely explains the problems we are having. They took a reliable engine, tinkered with it, and it is now unreliable. Alternatively, they may have an issue with quality of engine components that is causing the problems. In either case, FCA needs to figure it out and be forthcoming with the solution.

Last edited:

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, per the lower right corner of my window sticker, it says engine was made in Mexico. I checked a couple of others online and they indicate the same. I suspect all of the Pentastar engines are coming from the same plant. I understand the Gladiator engine is essentially the same engine as used in the Wranglers, but it was “modified” for the Gladiator. I think this likely explains the problems we are having. They took a reliable engine, tinkered with it, and it is now unreliable.

From what I understand the 3.6 is made in three plants. Two in MI and one in Mexico. My window sticker indicates my engine is from Mexico.
{Edited to show correct manufacture location}

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Build date: 1/20
Mileage when it first occurred: CEL = 3,650, but ESS >3x from ~2,000+
How many times has it occurred: CEL = once. ESS = >3x
What exact codes did it throw: P0300
Is the issue on going? N
What has been done to try to solve the issue? Checked code at home, cleared code, and I now drive w/ auto-stop/start off
Was the issue ever fully resolved? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We bought our JT used w/ ~2k miles on it. Dealership said the previous owner went from an F-150 to a JT and back to an F-150 b/c the JT didn't tow as well as his old F-150. Now? I'm not so sure if that's the correct story.

It's thrown the (@!) code a handful of times since we got it a month ago, and I always thought it idled and shifted weird when the auto-start/stop was on (not necessarily engaged).

Then yesterday auto-start/stop engaged to turn the car off and everything was fine. When auto-start/stop turned the car back on to cool the cabin, it misfired—and I could feel it. Front end started shaking, so I turned the car off right away.

CEL came on on the next start.. but the JT purred like a kitten!? I ran the codes, came back with the P0300, and just cleared it and kept driving it. Because, if FCA hasn't found a solution yet, then I'm just gonna keep driving it like @GlacierGladiator mentioned. But since auto-start/stop and the ESS seems to be the precursor for the P0300's CEL, I'm just going to turn off that feature every time I start the Jeep. Already, it seems to be idling, shifting, and braking smoother. Almost like the JT isn't guessing WTF it's going to do as the car slows down.

But I have 2 questions for the group:
1) Has anyone else had success w/ just clearing the CEL code and driving their JT w/ auto-start/stop disengaged?
2) We don't have a dealer warranty (b/c we bought used). Would FCA's manufacturer's warranty cover any of this? Or would I have to pay for parts/service out of pocket!?
To answer your questions.
I bought a tazer to permanently disengage the auto start/stop function and have cleared the CEL code only twice and have not had either issue in over 6,300 miles.
2. The 3/36k factory warranty should be transferable and should fully cover this issue. I dont think you are eligible for lemon law cause the vehicle you bought was used.

Sponsored

Glade8tor

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Clarification on piston cylinder issue... I was told that the cylinder walls were damaged during the robotic boring and polishing process.

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;
My engine was made in Mexico. January 2020. Figures.

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel betrayed by Jeep. Unconscionable scam to run me around with attempted repairs and a free extended warranty which fixes nothing.

Last edited:

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
I am just waiting for the Jeep Cares rep to give us another line about concern and support. I feel we are all being lied to at this point.

Deleted member 31576

I hate complaining but unfortunately if we sit by and do nothing we will be the ones that get stuck here. I feel that I was sold a Jeep by a guy who owns a Jeep - who more than likely knew about the issue. The dealership I bought from in Gainesville FL is clueless. Thus why I won’t take it back there until there is a fix or I am close to warranty expiration.

I put cash out of my pocket for this vehicle. It is my first “domestic” vehicle all of my others have been Toyota’s.

At this point I will not buy another Jeep.

I’ve been so tuned into this forum and I feel like I’ve learned a lot about the Gladiator. But I truly feel the weak link here is FCA. Jeep owners are dependable, knowledgeable and look out for each other. This should be reciprocated through the brand people are loyal to.

at this point I’m close to cutting my losses. But it comes at a cost, not to me, but to FCA, because they own this and they will own the reputation that we will all talk about with other people.

just venting here.

Sponsored

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (lemon law), 2021 JTR (on order!), 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
I hate complaining but unfortunately if we sit by and do nothing we will be the ones that get stuck here. I feel that I was sold a Jeep by a guy who owns a Jeep - who more than likely knew about the issue. The dealership I bought from in Gainesville FL is clueless. Thus why I won’t take it back there until there is a fix or I am close to warranty expiration.

I put cash out of my pocket for this vehicle. It is my first “domestic” vehicle all of my others have been Toyota’s.

At this point I will not buy another Jeep.

I’ve been so tuned into this forum and I feel like I’ve learned a lot about the Gladiator. But I truly feel the weak link here is FCA. Jeep owners are dependable, knowledgeable and look out for each other. This should be reciprocated through the brand people are loyal to.

at this point I’m close to cutting my losses. But it comes at a cost, not to me, but to FCA, because they own this and they will own the reputation that we will all talk about with other people.

just venting here.
Well said. You will find few automotive brands with the almost fanatical following that Jeep has. I’ve personally owned 4 Jeeps and a Chrysler. I grew up driving my dad’s ‘95 grand Cherokee that we punished for 300K miles. The fanboys tell me to stop bellyaching, because problems are a “Jeep thing”. Jeep stops getting a pass when they start charging $50k for a vehicle that won’t make it 2 weeks without needing an engine tear down. I have zero faith that this vehicle has the quality build of that ‘95 with the 4.0 straight 6. I hoped this would be an heirloom vehicle like that was. I have my doubts.

I’d love to see Jeep step up and show a little goodwill. I asked, and I’m still waiting for it. My fear is that they’re prepared to do the minimum necessary under the law. My hope is that they surprise me. If they offer a satisfactory resolution, I’ll let the forum know.

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in Florida. So I have to send them a final demand that they fix the CEL, Ess needs service and misfires before I am eligible for arbitration and buyback. Now that the software fix has not fixed the problem, I wonder what is next.

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So assuming it is a manufacturing defect in the engine. What bothers me is how it took this long to find the problem. What kind of quality control is in place to find such things. I can see maybe 1 shift worth of parts but months is a stretch. I did a comparison in oil pressure between my Challenger with the 3.6, and I found while the Jeep usually sits at 32 psi the Challenger is at 42. Seems like a big difference in the same engine.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Mine has been at the dealership since June 4th...I'm in the same boat. I cannot even get a return call from the dealership or customer service. This has been the most piss poor customer service and consumer experience ever.
I am just waiting for the Jeep Cares rep to give us another line about concern and support. I feel we are all being lied to at this point.
Hello everyone,
Please let our team know if we may assist in connecting you with your case manager. Please know that we would be happy to investigate the progress of your case at anytime.
If you are not currently with the assistance of our team, please send us a private message. We will gladly escalate a case on your behalf to offer additional support during your dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

speedracer0481

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello everyone,
Please let our team know if we may assist in connecting you with your case manager. Please know that we would be happy to investigate the progress of your case at anytime.
If you are not currently with the assistance of our team, please send us a private message. We will gladly escalate a case on your behalf to offer additional support during your dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Clarification on piston cylinder issue... I was told that the cylinder walls were damaged during the robotic boring and polishing process
Can jeep speak to this assertion? If customer service cannot, can someone with technical knowledge assist?
Sponsored