Sponsored

Survey- For those with misfire issues

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
On my first Glad for most of the time I owned it I ran it WITHOUT the ESS permanently disabled. Sometime I used the button on the dash sometimes I ran it normally and let the ESS shut the engine down but no aftermarket parts of any kind. After the 4th repair when I got the PCM flash according to the TSB, I didn’t get a CEL but kept getting those ASS lights. After about the 5th one I decided to install the smart Stop/Start to remember my setting. I still got the service ASS light twice. I currently use the Smart Stop/Start device on the new Glad.
Sponsored

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yes mutiple A! Lights will trigger the CEL.
Your issues is similar to mine. I get the occasional A! Light but it has not triggered the CEL in about 7000 miles. For me disabling the ESS seems to help the situation. I plan to get the most current flash to the PCM. I had had no other work done.

Coyotesong

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
What I thought was odd was getting the ess light since I have ess disabled with the tazer. Maybe the secondary battery is weak? Earlier in the day the truck had been driven for 2hrs at freeway speeds so the batteries should have been charged.

jwork435

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
What I thought was odd was getting the ess light since I have ess disabled with the tazer. Maybe the secondary battery is weak? Earlier in the day the truck had been driven for 2hrs at freeway speeds so the batteries should have been charged.
I got the exact same thing multiple service “@!“ lights and then I wrote the service manager at the dealership who said it was probably the auxiliary battery. Then I took it in and of course they couldn’t duplicate the problem and the auxiliary battery had plenty of charge “but we topped it off anyway” the technician said. So, no-my issue with multiple @! lights and no CELs apparently was not the auxiliary battery. And my real point was to respond to the disabling the ESS switch. I also had the ESS disabled by using the “Smart Stop/Start” aftermarket part to remember the setting of the ESS which is “off”. That didn’t help either. I still got the @! lamp.

OP
OP
GlacierGladiator

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I got the exact same thing multiple service “@!“ lights and then I wrote the service manager at the dealership who said it was probably the auxiliary battery. Then I took it in and of course they couldn’t duplicate the problem and the auxiliary battery had plenty of charge “but we topped it off anyway” the technician said. So, no-my issue with multiple @! lights and no CELs apparently was not the auxiliary battery. And my real point was to respond to the disabling the ESS switch. I also had the ESS disabled by using the “Smart Stop/Start” aftermarket part to remember the setting of the ESS which is “off”. That didn’t help either. I still got the @! lamp.
I still get the A! Light occasionally even though I have it disabled with the tazer, but not ever enough in a row to trigger the CEL & P0300 code. I can still feel a slight rough idle but really nothing else noticeable.

Sponsored

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Question for all here who are working thru the misfire issue...
Do you have the ESS permanently disabled with a tazer or something similar, or shut it off with the button every time?
OR
Are you still using the ESS function with every drive?

For me I have it permanently disabled with the tazer.
I'm totally stock and use the button to turn off ESS every time I start it up.

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is your Jeep running with the update? Mine goes in for the 5th time tomorrow.
It's running peppy as hell - like, almost too much response when I start from a stop to the point that it feels kind of jerky. This might be what people are talking about when they drive a Gladiator that feels wayyyy more responsive than theirs which is throwing the CEL. Maybe this is the power I'm supposed to have? Not sure.

I've put 115 miles on it since picking it up and have not had any ESS lights or CELs thrown. I do still feel the cold start rough idle that I started noticing a couple months back, though. They told me that is normal. I've had way too many Pentastar vehicles - including a JLUR - and I know that it isn't normal. I'm honestly just waiting for it to throw another CEL at this point. If the rough idle wasn't there on cold start which is really what I noticed just before all the ESS lights started happening, I wouldn't be as concerned... but I have very little faith in the techs at the dealerships where I live.

I mean, they told me the CEL is a "phantom code" and our JTs aren't actually having misfires. There is an overwhelming amount of proof in this thread that disproves that. The dealer knows it and FCA knows it. These are just textbook responses from them.

I've had enough Jeeps that have sat in the dealership service department to know how Jeep service works. I even had a 2012 JKUR that was bought back after a 9 month ordeal in regard to the Pentastar head issues. Same old BS.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
These may be the 3.6 but they are not the same 3.6 as in anything else made before it.

Attachments

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These may be the 3.6 but they are not the same 3.6 as in anything else made before it.
Are you saying the 3.6 in the Gladiator is not the same as what is in a JLUR? I'm under the impression they are the same powertrain setup.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying the 3.6 in the Gladiator is not the same as what is in a JLUR? I'm under the impression they are the same powertrain setup.
Perhaps in 2020, but the 2020 JT engine was listed as different than what we'd previously owned. These engine over the years have had variations on VVT, VVL, different horsepower ratings in different vehicles - over 300 hp in one car.
They are built in 3 different plants last I knew - and that's likely due to some of the differences.
All JT engines come from the Satillo South plant, in Mexico (they'll start with the official "VM........." in their Mexican name. AMCs built in Mexico were known as "VAM" and had slightly different displacement from the 258 I6)
I believe there's one in Trent as well that makes a different version for other vehicles, and a third I can't recall.

Sponsored

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;
I just picked up my Gladiator after the 4th visit for CEL Light, ESS Needs Service, and engine misfires on cold starts. Report:

PAGE 1 of Service Invoice States:

REPLACED LIFTER AND ROCKERS ON LEFT SIDE AND VVL SOLENOID.

PAGE 1 then discussed various tests, including "2 recordings using the manual trigger," and the one on cold start and one when engine warm.

Seems like after loosening "the OCVs and using special tools to properly set alignment," Check Engine Light came back on.

Service write up goes on to state:

CHECKED THE OBD2 MOITOR MISS-FIRE AND FOUND CYLINDER 2 AND 6 WITH MINIMAL MISS-FIRE. REMOVED INTAKE MANFIFOLD AND PERFOMRED A COMPRESSION TEST AND A LEAK DOWN TEST, ALL WITIN SPEC. REMOVED THE LEFT SIDE VALVE COVER, TO INSPECT. FOUND THAT THE VVL WAS STUCK. FOUND THAT THE LIFTERS IN CYLINDER 6 WEREN'T HOLDING CHARGE. REMOVED AND REPLACED ALL LEFT SIDE LIFTERS. AND VVL SOLENOID PERFORMED TEST DRIVE TO VERIFY REPAIRS."

The good news: No lights on drive back to work. Hope it stays that way for the rest of my lease term.

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Since the dealer bought mine back Friday I’m wondering if I should get another one or just be done with them. Does anyone know if engines assembled during July of 2020 are experiencing these issues?

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
Build date: 11/14/19 6 p.m
Mileage when occurred: ESS @approx 762 miles and CEL/P0300
How many occurrences: ESS multiple, CEL/P0300 twice
Exact codes: P0300
Issue ongoing?: Y
What has been done? Currently at the dealership for an extended stay
Issue resolved? N

Most of my engine is torn apart and sitting in the bed. Being told misfire is in the # 6 cylinder. Compression test shows left side of the motor 2,4,6 at 140,150,150 and right 1,3,5 at 160,165,167. At this point they aren’t sure why the big variance from the left to right side of the motor. They have pulled the oil control valves, checked the specs on the variable value timing and cam phaser alignment. The dealer is waiting for the next step/suggestion from FCA.
I had my compression test done today.
1,3,5 were all at 150 psig
2,4,6 were all at 130 psig
Service manager is pushing for a new engine but we will be beyond 30 days when that is done. I am going to demand a replacement vehicle. The misfires on the 2z4,6 on cold start were too numerous to count he said on a cold start.

No computer update is going to fix a bad block.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had my compression test done today.
1,3,5 were all at 150 psig
2,4,6 were all at 130 psig
Service manager is pushing for a new engine but we will be beyond 30 days when that is done. I am going to demand a replacement vehicle. The misfires on the 2z4,6 on cold start were too numerous to count he said on a cold start.

No computer update is going to fix a bad block.
You have more than 10% difference on basically a new engine - that's bad. If you were 135 vs 150 that would be borderline and in the old days, enough for us to do something major.

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps in 2020, but the 2020 JT engine was listed as different than what we'd previously owned. These engine over the years have had variations on VVT, VVL, different horsepower ratings in different vehicles - over 300 hp in one car.
They are built in 3 different plants last I knew - and that's likely due to some of the differences.
All JT engines come from the Satillo South plant, in Mexico (they'll start with the official "VM........." in their Mexican name. AMCs built in Mexico were known as "VAM" and had slightly different displacement from the 258 I6)
I believe there's one in Trent as well that makes a different version for other vehicles, and a third I can't recall.
This is great info! I did notice the 2020 JL's are having these same issues on the JL Wrangler forums. :(
Sponsored