First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Owner
Vehicle was brought in for the fourth time for the same issue Engine Start Stop light Service A@! and it then runs like crap and eventually CEL comes on. I have formally requested a buy back.
I'm done. FCA can choose the easy way or the attorney way.

IMG_8329.jpg

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle was brought in for the fourth time for the same issue Engine Start Stop light Service A@! and it then runs like crap and eventually CEL comes on. I have formally requested a buy back.
I'm done. FCA can choose the easy way or the attorney way.

Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues IMG_8329
Just curious - did you get the latest PCM flash?

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Quick update for everyone on my situation - after the latest PCM flash on August 28th, I haven't had any issues. Engine feels ridiculously peppy.

I'm wondering if they tuned up some of the injectors on the side with low compression to try and compensate for the issues they've seen... is that even possible?

Edit: forgot to mention it's been nearly 200 miles since I picked the truck up after the PCM flash on August 28th.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Quick update for everyone on my situation - after the latest PCM flash on August 28th, I haven't had any issues. Engine feels ridiculously peppy.

I'm wondering if they tuned up some of the injectors on the side with low compression to try and compensate for the issues they've seen... is that even possible?

Edit: forgot to mention it's been nearly 200 miles since I picked the truck up after the PCM flash on August 28th.
The PCM would compensate anyway - but no, they'd not "tune up some of the injectors" to compensate. That would be shooting themselves in the foot as it would fail emissions tests.

Was YOUR truck TESTED for compression? If so was there more than a 10% difference?
If it wasn't tested, then likely yours isn't one with that problem. They have found the PCM fix actually does take care of many of these - thus the TSB. They don't simply issue those as "something to try". They aren't issues lightly.

The problem with this "engine problem" is that because some have found mechanical issues, everyone believes they are all due to mechanical/physical issues.

I'd also suggest that dealers should be doing a leak-down test, not compression - if they find a possible problem due to compression tests that vary by over 10%, then they need to VERIFY via a leak-down test to verify and ensure the low compression isn't caused by wiped cam lobes, lifter issues and so on. Any problems with cams/lifters/followers and other things involved in the valve train can cause low compression!

Sponsored

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL; 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk; 2017 Dodge Challenger RT

Yes my PCM was flashed and ESS battery changed. Didn’t even fully pull out the dealership and it was back

Minnie2011

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Accounting
9/3 Update - picked up vehicle from dealership this morning. They replaced engine with complete new (not remanufactured) engine assembly. Have only driven it about 30 miles, but so far, so good. Hopefully this resolves the misfire issue.

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
9/3 Update - picked up vehicle from dealership this morning. They replaced engine with complete new (not remanufactured) engine assembly. Have only driven it about 30 miles, but so far, so good. Hopefully this resolves the misfire issue.
Please let me know what they offer you for your "inconvenience."

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
Please let me know what they offer you for your "inconvenience."
FCA wants to buy back the vehicle. Can someone who has gone through this process tell me if they will replace or do I have to go through the state to make things right?

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;
I made it 5 days since my vvt, lifters and rockers were replaced with no CEL or ESS needs service lights.

Sponsored

lewishouse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow
I got my truck back yesterday after a software update and relearn procedure that will "fix everything". 2 hours later the ESS errors out and just now the check engine is back on. I'm done, so it's time for them to step up and admit the problem and get it fixed. It's all a money thing at this point, how much can they save not worrying about future business from all that are having or will have problems..

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;
I got my truck back yesterday after a software update and relearn procedure that will "fix everything". 2 hours later the ESS errors out and just now the check engine is back on. I'm done, so it's time for them to step up and admit the problem and get it fixed. It's all a money thing at this point, how much can they save not worrying about future business from all that are having or will have problems..

My path to a fix was leaving my Gladiator at the service dealer overnight. Then went the next morning to demonstrate a cold start and back out of the driveway routine. Then put the car in park. While sitting in the vehicle with engine running but still cold, the service advisor and I could both physically feel the engine misfiring. Only then did the mechanic discover the problem and change out vvt, lifters and rockers on left side of engine. After 5 days, no lights.

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Ohh man, while vacationing in the OBX, my check engine light went on. hoping it’s not misfiring, will be calling dealer about this and steering service bulletin. 2100 on the odometer.

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Ohh man, while vacationing in the OBX, my check engine light went on. hoping it’s not misfiring, will be calling dealer about this and steering service bulletin. 2100 on the odometer.
What’s your build date? Just got back from there myself.
Sponsored