Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I scored a slightly used JL Rubicon bumper off craigslist, a couple scratches on it but nothing some touch up paint cant fix. I tried trimming the Mojave skid as others have done, but I have *no* idea how this would ever work. I would have to trim off the top 1/2" of the entire skid, as well as the mounting brackets. Fortunately the bumper I got came with the Rubicon skid, and that fit just fine. I liked the look of the Mojave skid but I think this works ok!

FOTzQC0.jpg

aIuAXlW.jpg

wHlqwOg.jpg
Sponsored

Mojavicon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 1959 Willys Pickup
Occupation
Pilot
So I got my knockoff from Ebay delivered, and took me quite a bid of modifying both the bumper and the factory Mojave skid in order to get everything to install and marry up. I will be installing a winch shortly. I replaced most of the hardware with grade 8 from Napa Auto Parts. Other than that, I plan on using the included winch plate, which also took some modification in order to fit, which I will show pics of below.

Overall, It has been a huge pain, but for the price, I'm not complaining too bad. Finish wasn't bad, but after all the cutting, I opted to prime the whole thing and then cover with Rustoleum Bedliner out of a can. I have used it a lot before, and like that when the inevitable scratch or whatever occurs, I can spray back over, good as new.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper IMG_2572

This is where I had to cut a notch in the fog bracket in order to fit flush against the frame horn. The winch plate blocked the bracket from marrying up completely against the mount.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper WInch Plate Cut

I had to cut notches in the bottom lip of the bumper in order to fit it against the skid plate mount. Did no one else run into this issue?

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper IMG_2569

And here is where I trimmed the skid plate, just on the outside, but from the bend up.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper IMG_2572

Like I said, for the price, I am happy. But it was a big pain to make work.

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I had the same issues with an OEM Rubi bumper, and decided to just use the Rubicon skid that came with it. I kept the Mojave skid if I ever get motivated to cut it up to fit.

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link
I scored a slightly used JL Rubicon bumper off craigslist, a couple scratches on it but nothing some touch up paint cant fix. I tried trimming the Mojave skid as others have done, but I have *no* idea how this would ever work. I would have to trim off the top 1/2" of the entire skid, as well as the mounting brackets. Fortunately the bumper I got came with the Rubicon skid, and that fit just fine. I liked the look of the Mojave skid but I think this works ok!

I am tackling this next week. I have the steel bumpers and have already swapped the front Orange hooks. I too, believe the Rubi skid is the cleanest way to approach this. Nicely done and thanks for putting these pics up!

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Bumper is easy fit. I used the Mojave skid as it covers the shock reservoirs much better, just my opinion. Only takes minor trimming to fit the Mojave skid.

Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Bumper is easy fit. I used the Mojave skid as it covers the shock reservoirs much better, just my opinion. Only takes minor trimming to fit the Mojave skid.
I'm not sure why people are still trimming. Do a quick forum search, guys. Someone on here installed the steel Rubi bumper with Mojave skid and didnt trim a thing.

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
I'm not sure why people are still trimming. Do a quick forum search, guys. Someone on here installed the steel Rubi bumper with Mojave skid and didnt trim a thing.
Not sure,, but mine needed minor trimming to fit flush.

PabstBleuRibbon

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
I'm pretty sure that the "no trim" post was one of the ebay steel copies, not an OEM bumper. There is *no way* I could have made the Mojave skid without heavy trimming, with the JL Rubicon bumper I used.

EWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I used the factory steel bumper and only had to trim a very small notch on each side of the bumper to clear the Mojave skid plate. I did use a Rock Hard 4x4 winch plate which spaces the bumper forward a small amount (I didn't measure at the time). I suspect the spacing forward may be the key to clearing the Mojave skid with only a few minor cuts to the bumper.
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper IMG_5188-1

Sponsored

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Have any of you guys that have added the Mopar steel bumper to the Mojave noticed any difference in the driving characteristics of the Mojave with the extra weight of bumper and winch?
I have not noticed any difference in handling or driving. Only had about 1/4" drop in suspension after 3 days driving.

EXTORTION

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Another picture showing the only spot where the steel Rubicon bumper and Mojave skid interfere.
Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper IMG_5191-1
I agree, the center section will not need any trimming. Just the area circled needs to be trimmed.

wpscheel

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
Not a Rubicon Bumper but I installed a Rugged Ridge Arcus and it went on without any issues or trimming and the factory skid bolted right up.
Since I am not installing a winch, I hacked the middle out of the factory bumper and made a plug to fill the void in the bumper then painted the silver skid black to match. Overall I am very happy with the results.

20201023_210145.jpg

20201024_164252.jpg

20201024_165710.jpg

20201024_172003.jpg

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Not a Rubicon Bumper but I installed a Rugged Ridge Arcus and it went on without any issues or trimming and the factory skid bolted right up.
Since I am not installing a winch, I hacked the middle out of the factory bumper and made a plug to fill the void in the bumper then painted the silver skid black to match. Overall I am very happy with the results.

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20201024_172003

Jeep Gladiator Swapping the Mojave plastic bumper with the Mopar steel bumper 20201024_172003

Very cool! I was wondering if that Arcus bumper worked with the Mojave skid. Great to know!
Sponsored