Sponsored

Temptations in a crazy market.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Option 3 would be awesome IF The Ranger was mine ahead of time. My work has offered to sell it to me for what they paid for it, if I turned around and sold it and kept the gladiator they would be a little upset lol.
Ah ha, yeah that's an important point. I had assumed you owned it outright.
Sponsored

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
I don't blame you.

With fuel prices soaring, and this bubble forming I would bet money the market will correct itself in the next year or two. If you have a reliable daily in the mean time it potentially makes sense.

Of course it's possible vehicle prices will continue rising, but I don't see this being the case. Early 2020 we were seeing Gladiators just under $30k brand new because dealerships couldn't move them. For years manufacturers were heavily discounting trucks via rebates which allowed them to maintain high MSRP while adjusting to market trends in the short term. For 2021 all they had to do was remove the factory rebates and sell them at MSRP.

A lot of casual truck buyers will be exiting this segment in the next year or two as fuel rises and they'll switch to the new generation of fwd mini trucks like the Ford maverick and whatever other garbage the manufacturers come out with. EVs and other hybrids will return like they did from 2009-2016 when fuel efficient vehicles were pushed on the market and gas guzzlers were vilified. It wasn't that long ago that trucks were passe and easy to buy due to their low mpg.

Or we can keep pretending this meteoric rise in used prices will continue forever.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
...It wasn't that long ago that trucks were passe and easy to buy due to their low mpg.

Or we can keep pretending this meteoric rise in used prices will continue forever.
I can't remember the last time used trucks were passé or easy to buy. Maybe the 90s?

Tokolosh

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q7, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2015 Chrysler T&C
Occupation
Director in Automotive Industry
Option 3 would be awesome IF The Ranger was mine ahead of time. My work has offered to sell it to me for what they paid for it, if I turned around and sold it and kept the gladiator they would be a little upset lol.

I am pretty biased as this is my second GSP, but I have to agree! I love these dogs to death!

Here is my one year old.
Yep, we had a beautiful female from 2004 until 2018. She converted me to the breed and I still miss that dog every day. But I found a male pup a few months after she passed away and he's been exactly what the family needed. Ready for every adventure but really sweet with the kids as well.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't remember the last time used trucks were passé or easy to buy. Maybe the 90s?
I remember seeing $10-15k off brand new F150s in 2016 when I was browsing. I saw used Ford Raptors in the $30k range without a ton of miles. I looked at a slightly used Silverado Z71 in the $20k range in 2014 but couldn't justify it since gas was $4 a gallon at the time.

Cash for clunkers wiped out a ton of used trucks when people were rushing to buy Priuses (Pri-i? )

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
I remember seeing $10-15k off brand new F150s in 2016 when I was browsing. I saw used Ford Raptors in the $30k range without a ton of miles. I looked at a slightly used Silverado Z71 in the $20k range in 2014 but couldn't justify it since gas was $4 a gallon at the time.

Cash for clunkers wiped out a ton of used trucks when people were rushing to buy Priuses (Pri-i? )
Priora.

Sad that I know that.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Any chance that ranger is stick? I'd probably still be happily driving my 98 ranger if the frame didn't get bent. Had the 4.0 V6 in it so it was fun and an incredible little truck. Hell, if Ford hadn't fucked up the new ranger so bad I'd probably be on that forum instead of this one.

SWFLGladiator

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have had the dealer call me about my JT and offer me what I paid for it. Also I have the local Infiniti dealer calling me offering us close to $10k above what we paid for my wife’s car. There is NO inventory in my area to speak of. All car lots (different brands) are empty/VERY limited inventory.
My first thought is it’s a good offer-but what are we going to drive? I’m not giving up my JT unless they offer ridiculous money. My wife’s car will come with a check, but they have nothing reasonable to replace it with.
Money is tempting, but makes no sense to make any of the deals offered to us. We will just overspend on a lesser vehicle

*step on soap box

Same as housing in my area. I get bombarded from different investors daily wanting to purchase my house. We bought it in the last housing market bubble crash here in SW Florida. I will get a nice check if I decided to sell-but then I’ll overspend on something else. To me, it doesn’t make sense. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
dakota.morgan91

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
Any chance that ranger is stick? I'd probably still be happily driving my 98 ranger if the frame didn't get bent. Had the 4.0 V6 in it so it was fun and an incredible little truck. Hell, if Ford hadn't fucked up the new ranger so bad I'd probably be on that forum instead of this one.
It is a stick! It drives completely different from the Gladiator. Its not as powerful but definitley makes alot more torque down low. The transmission shifts like a truck too lol big long throws. Such a different experience.

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had the dealer call me about my JT and offer me what I paid for it. Also I have the local Infiniti dealer calling me offering us close to $10k above what we paid for my wife’s car. There is NO inventory in my area to speak of. All car lots (different brands) are empty/VERY limited inventory.
My first thought is it’s a good offer-but what are we going to drive? I’m not giving up my JT unless they offer ridiculous money. My wife’s car will come with a check, but they have nothing reasonable to replace it with.
Money is tempting, but makes no sense to make any of the deals offered to us. We will just overspend on a lesser vehicle

*step on soap box

Same as housing in my area. I get bombarded from different investors daily wanting to purchase my house. We bought it in the last housing market bubble crash here in SW Florida. I will get a nice check if I decided to sell-but then I’ll overspend on something else. To me, it doesn’t make sense. Just my thoughts.

That's where my wife and I are at as well. Any profit from selling the house or vehicles will be wasted by overspending on their replacement.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The ONLY reasons why I would do this if I were in your shoes are:

- I want a different configuration of Gladiator and have regrets about the one I'm in now.

- I want a totally different vehicle. Don't really like the Gladiator.

Otherwise it would be silly to give up what you have, since you're so far into the term already.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
There is a good chance we are in for many years of higher inflation, in which case, as a "trade" wouldn't make sence...

But what it really comes down to, how bad do you need the money vs how much you like/dislike your JT...Only you can decide.

hobbsserv

First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
Dude, "Do what you gotta do now so you can do what you wanna do later". Being in business over the last 30 years I have traded way down multiple times to survive or to grow the business. After 30 years of overnight success I can pay cash for a vehicle. If you are doing this to trade a non-income generator for a long term, passive, income generator, I wouldn't think twice.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
The ONLY reasons why I would do this if I were in your shoes are:

- I want a different configuration of Gladiator and have regrets about the one I'm in now.

- I want a totally different vehicle. Don't really like the Gladiator.

Otherwise it would be silly to give up what you have, since you're so far into the term already.
I'm trying to do this with an F150 right now.

I can sell it for what I paid. Pocket about $8k over payoff. Buy new one for same payment.

So I get a new truck with 0 miles on it instead of 25k miles. I get $8k. For the cost of extending my loan another year. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Rusty Shackleford

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler, Saab 9-3
Occupation
USAF
Hey guys, so I have owned my Gladiator since March and have put 20k miles on it (alot I know). The dealer I purchased it from called me offering to buy it for what I paid for it.... Seems like a deal too good to pass up. When can you drive 20k miles in such a sweet ride and pay nothing aside from tax? I think I am going to accept and drive this older ranger until the market corrects itself then order a new one.... Am I crazy?

20211019_132349.jpg
A “market correction” is what many people are waiting for in real estate as well. They continue to rent and wait while the price goes up and home ownership slips further away. At least this is what is happening in our area. Here’s my opinion on your situation. Sell that Ranger private party for a nice profit, the list prices I have seen lately for nice ones are ridiculous. Then take that deal on your high mileage Gladiator from the dealership. Pick all of the options that you want and custom order to take advantage of current low interest rates. Money in the bank, no negative equity, brand new truck with a low interest loan before inflation really takes off. Or... buy a horse to prepare for the collapse of modern society.
Sponsored

Last edited: