Sponsored

Test Drove a Gladiator today, five easy questions for you current owners.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
#3 The MOPAR Bedliner was available for the 2020 Gladiator. I don’t know if iIt was dealer installed or factory installed, but I imagine it was shipped with the vehicle.

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
2 of my 4 doors developed the "pop". You could visibly the see the door catch moving when it popped. I simply tightened the bolt and no more pop.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I would keep shopping. Plenty of used JT's out there. Look for a lower mileage unit.

As far as pricing trends go, you are correct. Timing is on your side. Trade-in prices for JT's are trending sharply downward compared to highs last summer and the market is starting to return to normal depreciation levels now.

According to several online value guides, my Mojave had a trade value of well over 56K in August 2022 compared to 51K in February 2023. That is figuring in my current mileage of 6,500. Realistically if I traded today, I would probably get offers around 48K. Typical depreciation for a 60K MSRP Gladiator owned for 11 months.

Of course, supply and demand influences prices (new and used). The demand is relatively low, and the current supply is high with lots of JT stock on dealer lots at this time.

Last edited:

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I skimmed through and saw something about being from a rental fleet. Stay away if that is the case, I know how I and many would treat a rental Jeep, not well!! That dash fold concerns me, how much stress did the passenger put on the grab handle to cause that?! If the dealer doesn't gladly pull the bed mat walk away, just end it right there based on shenanigans!!

To me an out of state/out of province (I'm in Canada) transfer of a vehicle that new might just be hiding something. How does the CarFax and other similar history look? Did it sit somewhere random then pop back up near you? If so bad sign.

If you have the means to order new, spend the extra, get the basic options you need and don't mess with somebody else's problems

Sponsored

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you made a wise decision. Good luck in your pursuit of one fun ride. Just to confirm your decision…

Back in my younger days of fighting fire, they would fly us all over the Western U.S.. When we arrived at the airport, they would issue us rental cars to drive to and around the fire. Now I never purposefully damaged a rental vehicle but I did return them in pretty bad shape. One of them was so bad that you had to hold the wheel 180 degrees off center just to drive it straight. And this was after it was repaired in the ground support unit. No one drives a rental like they own it!

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Good move! Of all former rental fleet cars, I’d probably be the most scared away by a former rental Wrangler or Gladiator. Who knows what it’s been thru.

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
My '21 Rubi came off the truck with a drop-in bedliner. I was on the hunt for a while for an M6 and it was one of only two I could find in CA, AZ, OR and NV in August 2021. I had been shopping for a couple months, so when I found one in Las Vegas, I literally bought it within hours of delivery to the dealer. However, the bedliner is not listed on the window sticker, nor as an additional item or dealer add-on on the paperwork. Go figure!

storyg

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP JK
Greetings! Dan here in west Michigan (Grand Rapids). New to the forum.

I have a 2011 JKU that I bought new 12 years ago but she cannot tow our 5k #, 24' Camper. Had a 2018 F-150 for that job and this past December, sold it to Carvana for stoopid money, which benefited me.

So I'm looking at used Gladiators for our tow rig and daily driver. Looking Online since December and tracking prices overall, finally going down. Time to buy is soon it appears.

Went out today and test drove my first one... this one here --->
https://www.graffcdjr.com/used-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=used&make=Jeep&model=Gladiator

A 2020 Gladiator Rubicon with 68k, tow package, and cold weather package. I'm mid 50s and live in the Midwest, I like heated seats and steering wheels now. Ha. Don't judge me. I've been Jeeping since high school in the late 80s. Ran my CJs with just an umbrella top for most of the year. Not anymore. This Rubi is from California, came cross country to Michigan, odd. One owner, clean Carfax. Undercarriage looked great, no scrapes dents bends etc. This Rubi may have actually been on the Rubicon out in California. Body in fine shape. front end had zero chips anywhere. Interior is a bit dusty in the places most people don't look, or Dealer Detailers apparently. Engine compartment has been detailed but again, not where your eyes can't see, I wiped plenty of thick dust from under and behind components. Salesman got me a wet paper towel. Ha. Has a drop in bed liner which I do not like and would remove and put some spray bed liner in there. Overall it looks good for a three year old Jeep.

My Five easy questions...
1. That Pentastar 3.6 V6 has amazing power compared to my 2011 JKU's weak 3.8 V6. During the test drive, solo, I noticed when I got on the pedal to get on highway speeds it did great. But... once I hit the speed I wanted to be at (70) and let off the pedal, the RPMs stayed high for a few seconds then stepped down slowly. ?? Is that typical for this Pentastar motor? Tranny issue maybe?

2. The door hinges on the front two doors had a 'hitch' in them. Believe it came from that small metal bar. When you opened or closed the door, there was noticeable resistance at the 1/2 way closed point and a small noise was made. That common? Or likely these just needed lubricated?

3. Drop in bed liners, were those Factory in 2020? The bed below it is factory paint. If I choose to purchase this Rubicon, going to have them remove that liner so I can see the bed before giving them $$$.

4. Factory Tow Package. This Rubicon had this installed with the 240 amp alternator, the trailer plug, and the extra engine cooler. But it DID NOT have a Class IV Hitch installed. ? Factory Tow Package without a Hitch. I could see the mounting points under & behind the bumper and that area was clean, no sign of use or installation of a hitch what so ever. That should have been part of the package correct? Salesman didn't have an answer for that.

5. Passenger side dash, above the, "Oh Shoot!😲" bar (which showed the most wear and tear in the interior), there is a crease or dent in the panel there. Believe that is the airbag location. Look at the pic I attached, right above the yellow line I drew. Is that a 'defect' with that panel or airbag? Something happening on Gladiators there? Or likely just something was sitting on the passenger seat and fell forward and smacked it.
2023-02-06 13.22.36.jpg

Appreciate any and all feedback of my five questions and any and all advice on purchasing a Gladiator. I'm looking at 2020 or newer, not looking at the 2019 initial model year.

Thanks! Off to do more research on this forum and see what you folks have posted.

Dan
5k and 24' camper, meaning a 5,000 pound?; and it being a camper has a significant frontal area. No mention of the total trailer specs but at the very least, what is the tongue weight specified for this trailer. You can find information on the Internet to determine if the trailer, loaded for a trip and the JEEP, loaded with X humans and pets and gear whether this combo will work for you.

I am just suggesting you do some more homework before you buy is all I am saying. if it works out, fine but if it doesnt, ouch.

Sponsored

NightFog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 20 Gladiator Rubicon
The window sticker doesn't have the factory tow package listed.
It has the 7" display instead of the 8" upgrade.
Some of the options I chose for my 2020 are
Cold Weather Group (heated seats,, steering wheel and remote start)
Led Lighting package
Jeep® Active Safety Group (Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection)
Adaptive Cruise Control/Forward Collision Warning
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
8.4–Inch Radio and Premium Audio Group
None of those are options listed on the window sticker.

In addition to what I listed I also got the several other options
which brought my window sticker to just under 60K.
The window sticker on that Rubicon was $48565 and only had
8–Speed Automatic 850RE Transmission $2,000
Select–Speed® Control
Transmission Skid Plate
and
Black Freedom Top® 3–Piece Hard Top $1,195
Rear Sliding Window
Rear Window Defroster
Freedom Panel Storage Bag

so it was a pretty stripped down Rubicon because it was a rental vehicle.
Options are personal preferences and I don't know what your preferences are

Deleted member 28696

You can purchase used if you want to, however previous JT's have had problems like the steering box issues for one & seemingly unsolvable death wobble & steering slop. I have a 2021 where I believe the steering box issue was addressed doesn't seem to be an issue at least so far even with 37" tires. I'd probably stay away from the 2020 models and go with the 2021 or newer. There are probably reasons people traded those 2020's for newer models. I've heard some 2021's were duds too so it just depends. I have the tow package and it came with a hitch, receptacles etc. I also have the spray in bed liner. but mine was purchased off the lot so it had what it had. I have a 2021 Rubicon and it's been good but gets super poor mileage mostly due to some added accessory weight which I think is why I'd say it needs a more powerful engine; it doesn't take much to drop your mpg's. It would probably get better mileage if it were a v8 I still love it even though I get between 12-14 mpg. If the one you purchase doesn't have upgraded larger tires or a rack or metal cap you should do better on mpg. I purchased new since I didn't want someone else's problem.

MemphisMississipp

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver
I bought 2020 Max Tow new for 34500. I pull a 3000lb teardrop trailer . I live in Mississippi and bought the trailer new in Pennsylvania. Towed great through the mountains and flats, the frontal area of my trailer is minimal. Take into account the frontal area of your camper as it is important. I would be a little Leary of pulling a 5000 lb trailer in a Gladiator, don’t get me wrong the Gladiator Max Tow can pull it, just need to make sure your load is balanced and within specs. You will be screaming through the mountains and kick back on the flats. That large of a trailer you might take a look at a Ram truck. Wish you the best in your hunt.

kmartin

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I would point out that this Jeep probably has a California emissions package instead of the Federal emissions package that every other state has.

Might not be an issue but something to keep in mind if you ever have to go the parts store, as it can matter on getting the right parts.
California smog packages are mostly obsolete now days. There are so many other, generally east coast, states that use the same requirements that everything I've seen in the last 5-10 years has been 50 state.
Sponsored