Sponsored

Test Drove a Gladiator today, five easy questions for you current owners.

RickF

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JT Rubicon
#2 The door checks (arms that dampen door open/close and keep it from swinging freely) will make exactly the loud clicking noise you describe if the nut is not tightened. I've heard that sound when putting the doors back on and opening/closing them when the nut is hand-threaded but not yet tight. Some white lithium grease on that door check could also help. It's absurd that the dealer isn't aware of this and put it on the lot that way.

I would have the dealer replace the red dash trim completely. You could source the trim and do it yourself (Crutchfield will give you a set of instructions on how to disassemble/reassemble the dash), but it's a big, scary job that could leave your Jeep undriveable if you get in over your head. If they won't do it, have them order the part and have them arrange and cover the cost for a body shop or car stereo shop to install it for you.
Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Good info here and good catch about it being from a rental fleet.

@the hiking viking - make sure to find a gravel/dirt road somewhere and test the the 4 high and 4 low and off-road functions, with it being a rental I could see all sorts of shenanigans going on during all the rentals it's probably seen. I'd probably also check the door harnesses to make sure they unplug and plug back in easy, the pins in the harness are easy to bend if the harness isn't slid back together just right. Honestly I'd never consider buying a rental vehicle unless it has a VERY discounted price. Keep in mind it's also out of the 5yr/60k warranty so you'll be living with anything you don't catch up front.

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Greetings! Dan here in west Michigan (Grand Rapids). New to the forum.

I have a 2011 JKU that I bought new 12 years ago but she cannot tow our 5k #, 24' Camper. Had a 2018 F-150 for that job and this past December, sold it to Carvana for stoopid money, which benefited me.

So I'm looking at used Gladiators for our tow rig and daily driver. Looking Online since December and tracking prices overall, finally going down. Time to buy is soon it appears.

Went out today and test drove my first one... this one here --->
https://www.graffcdjr.com/used-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=used&make=Jeep&model=Gladiator

A 2020 Gladiator Rubicon with 68k, tow package, and cold weather package. I'm mid 50s and live in the Midwest, I like heated seats and steering wheels now. Ha. Don't judge me. I've been Jeeping since high school in the late 80s. Ran my CJs with just an umbrella top for most of the year. Not anymore. This Rubi is from California, came cross country to Michigan, odd. One owner, clean Carfax. Undercarriage looked great, no scrapes dents bends etc. This Rubi may have actually been on the Rubicon out in California. Body in fine shape. front end had zero chips anywhere. Interior is a bit dusty in the places most people don't look, or Dealer Detailers apparently. Engine compartment has been detailed but again, not where your eyes can't see, I wiped plenty of thick dust from under and behind components. Salesman got me a wet paper towel. Ha. Has a drop in bed liner which I do not like and would remove and put some spray bed liner in there. Overall it looks good for a three year old Jeep.

My Five easy questions...
1. That Pentastar 3.6 V6 has amazing power compared to my 2011 JKU's weak 3.8 V6. During the test drive, solo, I noticed when I got on the pedal to get on highway speeds it did great. But... once I hit the speed I wanted to be at (70) and let off the pedal, the RPMs stayed high for a few seconds then stepped down slowly. ?? Is that typical for this Pentastar motor? Tranny issue maybe?

2. The door hinges on the front two doors had a 'hitch' in them. Believe it came from that small metal bar. When you opened or closed the door, there was noticeable resistance at the 1/2 way closed point and a small noise was made. That common? Or likely these just needed lubricated?

3. Drop in bed liners, were those Factory in 2020? The bed below it is factory paint. If I choose to purchase this Rubicon, going to have them remove that liner so I can see the bed before giving them $$$.

4. Factory Tow Package. This Rubicon had this installed with the 240 amp alternator, the trailer plug, and the extra engine cooler. But it DID NOT have a Class IV Hitch installed. ? Factory Tow Package without a Hitch. I could see the mounting points under & behind the bumper and that area was clean, no sign of use or installation of a hitch what so ever. That should have been part of the package correct? Salesman didn't have an answer for that.

5. Passenger side dash, above the, "Oh Shoot!😲" bar (which showed the most wear and tear in the interior), there is a crease or dent in the panel there. Believe that is the airbag location. Look at the pic I attached, right above the yellow line I drew. Is that a 'defect' with that panel or airbag? Something happening on Gladiators there? Or likely just something was sitting on the passenger seat and fell forward and smacked it.
2023-02-06 13.22.36.jpg

Appreciate any and all feedback of my five questions and any and all advice on purchasing a Gladiator. I'm looking at 2020 or newer, not looking at the 2019 initial model year.

Thanks! Off to do more research on this forum and see what you folks have posted.

Dan
Walk away….too many miles, and any issue you see now will be exacerbated for sure.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Yeah, I wouldn't touch a rental fleet vehicle. The service history is totally obscured as the rental places do their own service and can "hide" anything they don't want on a Carfax. Also, the usual abuse rental vehicles have seen.

Sponsored

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
The air bag is below the red dash panel, and behind the grab handle. I don't think it coems out of the red dash. That mark is an Uh Oh from a previous owner.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
2. The door hinges on the front two doors had a 'hitch' in them. Believe it came from that small metal bar. When you opened or closed the door, there was noticeable resistance at the 1/2 way closed point and a small noise was made. That common? Or likely these just needed lubricated?
The JT and JL have door checks with indents to stop the door at certain open positions. The doors do not swing freely like on the JK. The door check 'clicking' noise is also very common to the JT and JL and reports are that there is a separation of a seam within the internal structure of the door.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/door-click.33792/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/clicking-sound-driver-side-door.34566/#post-560803

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
1: normal
2: normal door check operation which no Jeep previously had
3: Factory available but not from order, I have the Jeep brand on mine and love it, too less to remove to inspect
4: Every JT has a plug, and 240 alt comes on basically any electrical option upgrade
5: looks like something hit it, pretty hard. It’s bent on the split location for the airbag. Would be worth asking to see if they will replace it it as it it will most likely be weak there now and get worse over time.

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
The air bag is below the red dash panel, and behind the grab handle. I don't think it coems out of the red dash. That mark is an Uh Oh from a previous owner.
The bag splits the red portion in have at the seam shown in the picture.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
"rental fleet" could mean dealer loaner, which is not nearly as sketch as a truck from a rental company

dealers often get high-optioned vehicles as their loaner, hence it being a Rubicon

I don't think i've ever seen a Rubicon available as a rental

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Responding w/o reading other responses.

I have a '21 JTR w/ 35k.
My Five easy questions...
1. That Pentastar 3.6 V6 has amazing power compared to my 2011 JKU's weak 3.8 V6. During the test drive, solo, I noticed when I got on the pedal to get on highway speeds it did great. But... once I hit the speed I wanted to be at (70) and let off the pedal, the RPMs stayed high for a few seconds then stepped down slowly. ?? Is that typical for this Pentastar motor? Tranny issue maybe?
Sometimes there's an RPM hang.

Mine does not do this.

3. Drop in bed liners, were those Factory in 2020? The bed below it is factory paint. If I choose to purchase this Rubicon, going to have them remove that liner so I can see the bed before giving them $$$.
Not aware of these; I've only seen spray-in as factory/dealer option.

4. Factory Tow Package. This Rubicon had this installed with the 240 amp alternator, the trailer plug, and the extra engine cooler. But it DID NOT have a Class IV Hitch installed. ? Factory Tow Package without a Hitch. I could see the mounting points under & behind the bumper and that area was clean, no sign of use or installation of a hitch what so ever. That should have been part of the package correct? Salesman didn't have an answer for that.
Tow package includes hitch.

5. Passenger side dash, above the, "Oh Shoot!😲" bar (which showed the most wear and tear in the interior), there is a crease or dent in the panel there. Believe that is the airbag location. Look at the pic I attached, right above the yellow line I drew. Is that a 'defect' with that panel or airbag? Something happening on Gladiators there? Or likely just something was sitting on the passenger seat and fell forward and smacked it.
Jeep Gladiator Test Drove a Gladiator today, five easy questions for you current owners. lg_cf0949b6-e4cb-48cd-b8e4-eed28723afba
Defect/damage.

And to your comment about this vehicle possibly being on the Rubicon trail - unlikely. From what I've read/seen, there's no way a JTR could traverse the Rubicon w/o being lifted 3"+ & 35"+ tires and not scrape.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
"rental fleet" could mean dealer loaner, which is not nearly as sketch as a truck from a rental company

dealers often get high-optioned vehicles as their loaner, hence it being a Rubicon

I don't think i've ever seen a Rubicon available as a rental
The builds sheet references Enterprise and they do rent Rubicon's

U.S. LONG TERM DAILY RENTAL
LONG TERM DAILY RENTAL
FLEET DAILY RENTAL W/CLIENT CODE
ENTERPRISE RENT-A-CAR

https://www.enterprise.com/en/exotic-car-rental/vehicles/premium-all-terrain.html
Sponsored