Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue on my 2020 Overland. Batteries were fine, yet always had the ‘battery charging message’. Finally dealer had to recalibrate the charging system so that it knew that the battery was fully charged. I didn’t have an issue after that.
Mine is going in on the 23rd to have that and the goofy ABS/traction control (which most of the time doesn't) looked at.
When it's warm, it works pretty well. When it's cold like in the 20s or lower 30s I can drive it around for an hour, get home at 1pm, then leave at 11am the next day and ESS isn't working "battery charging" even after 20 minutes of driving. Really? I can top off a standard non-AGM battery in 10 minutes after sitting less than 24 hours. These take forever, even at a voltage of 14.7 volts on the cluster gauge. That's way up there and they should not take that much to charge.
Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Mine is going in on the 23rd to have that and the goofy ABS/traction control (which most of the time doesn't) looked at.
When it's warm, it works pretty well. When it's cold like in the 20s or lower 30s I can drive it around for an hour, get home at 1pm, then leave at 11am the next day and ESS isn't working "battery charging" even after 20 minutes of driving. Really? I can top off a standard non-AGM battery in 10 minutes after sitting less than 24 hours. These take forever, even at a voltage of 14.7 volts on the cluster gauge. That's way up there and they should not take that much to charge.
In my case the aux battery was fully charged - the electronic system wasn’t seeing the full charge, resulting in the constant start/stop charging message. I had the dealer look at it a couple of times and was told that the batteries were fine and that it would take some driving time for them to charge. The dealer finally took the issue seriously after I threatened to leave a bad review…
Good luck!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In my case the aux battery was fully charged - the electronic system wasn’t seeing the full charge, resulting in the constant start/stop charging message. I had the dealer look at it a couple of times and was told that the batteries were fine and that it would take some driving time for them to charge. The dealer finally took the issue seriously after I threatened to leave a bad review…
Good luck!
Thanks - and good to see you got some actual action instead of shoulder shrugging.
I usually tell the service writer what I've seen in this forum as far as things like the IBS and so on - they take this seriously after the one guy pointed out to the others the presence online - and JeepCares and their team being watchful here. They relented on the tonneau cover and I've not had a problem since.
I think they know by the time I'm in their shop, I've done my homework. So my plan was to have them thoroughly test the batteries (both) and to see about the IBS especially since it takes hours of charging for it to register as the batteries being ready for ESS to work.
I have a feeling also they know that we've bought a lot of Jeep vehicles over the years and my wife has historically traded every 2.5-3 years LOL

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
So I’m currently trying out a NOCO Genius 2D 2-amp battery charger. I permanently installed it next to the battery so it’s easy to just pop the hood and plug it in. I don’t drive often enough or far enough to keep the battery charged properly so I’m hoping this does the trick. I have Rockslide Engineering Stepsliders and I believe they may have a slight continuous draw on the battery in addition to whatever else is using current while it’s turned off.

I consistently get “Stop/Start Not Ready” but with no reason as to why it’s not ready.Will see this weekend if this solves the problem. Battery is just about fully charged. It was really low a couple of weeks ago. Had to put a 6-amp charger on it overnight.

Last edited:

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Battery fully charged and Start/Stop still not working. Outside temperature 48°. When I first start the truck I get reasons why Start/Stop is not ready like engine temp too low and seat belt not buckled, etc. after driving a bit and engine warmed up I just get “Start/Stop” not ready with no reason as to why. Guess it’s back to the dealership. Ugh!

Sponsored

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
I took my Gladiator in this week for an oil change and the stop start battery message. I picked it up and they said they just charged the battery because it wasn't getting a sufficient charge with my driving habits.
So I go to leave and the stop start message is still there and they never reset the oil change monitor. Back to the service advisor who tells the tech to put it on a longer charge and reset the oil monitor. They send me home in their shuttle. I get it back a few hours later with the message finally gone. I know I don't drive much during the week, but my weekend trips should charge the battery.
I think I'm going to a different dealer next time. While I was there I was looking at the new Grand Cherokee. They had almost $3k of dealer add ons on every one (window tint, wheel locks, fabric and paint guard, etc.). I don't trust their service and I don't trust their sales.

Clawman1959

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired US Army and Department of the Army Retired Civilian
I just had my system repaired at the dealership. Went in because it always said system not ready charging and would be like that for days. Dealership charged batteries and said it checked out fine. I didn’t get two blocks and the charging message came right back. Turned right around and went back to dealership. They kept my Jeep for two days to run diagnostics and it turned out both batteries were bad. Replaced under warranty and all is functioning as it should.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
So I took the truck to the dealer today for some troubleshooting on my perceived battery issue. To recap, my battery died twice sitting in the garage after not driving it for a week. I don't drive it much (6000 miles since April 2021). My concern was "something" was drawing down the battery....perhaps my Rockslide Engineering Stepsliders? I installed a battery tender and charged the battery full before going into the dealership today. Guess what, everything, including the auto start/stop, was working normally. Dealer tested the batteries and found them to be perfectly fine. They performed a draw test and determined there was a .1 amp draw on the system. They depowered the step sliders and the draw went to .002 amps. The max recommended draw is .05 amps according to Jeep. They then repowered the step sliders and reset the circuit breaker for the step sliders. Draw was then measured again at .002 amps. So, in conclusion, it seems the step sliders were not the culprit but rather my driving habits not adequately keeping the battery charged. I suppose this is good news in that there is nothing wrong with my truck. The battery tender should alleviate the battery from dying on me in the future.

On a side note, the mechanic said that it could be.....that when the battery died the first time from the infrequent driving, something went "haywire" with the step slider logic thus creating an abnormally high draw. It's his belief that pulling the circuit breaker for the step sliders somehow reset the logic of that system which corrected the .1 amp draw that he noted during testing. Since the draw then returned to .002 amps, things appear to return to normal.

Oh well. At least Jeep did not charge me for this servicing today and gave my truck a clean bill of health. From now on, I will plug her in to let the battery tender every now and again to keep everything topped off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I took the truck to the dealer today for some troubleshooting on my perceived battery issue. To recap, my battery died twice sitting in the garage after not driving it for a week. I don't drive it much (6000 miles since April 2021). My concern was "something" was drawing down the battery....perhaps my Rockslide Engineering Stepsliders? I installed a battery tender and charged the battery full before going into the dealership today. Guess what, everything, including the auto start/stop, was working normally. Dealer tested the batteries and found them to be perfectly fine. They performed a draw test and determined there was a .1 amp draw on the system. They depowered the step sliders and the draw went to .002 amps. The max recommended draw is .05 amps according to Jeep. They then repowered the step sliders and reset the circuit breaker for the step sliders. Draw was then measured again at .002 amps. So, in conclusion, it seems the step sliders were not the culprit but rather my driving habits not adequately keeping the battery charged. I suppose this is good news in that there is nothing wrong with my truck. The battery tender should alleviate the battery from dying on me in the future.

On a side note, the mechanic said that it could be.....that when the battery died the first time from the infrequent driving, something went "haywire" with the step slider logic thus creating an abnormally high draw. It's his belief that pulling the circuit breaker for the step sliders somehow reset the logic of that system which corrected the .1 amp draw that he noted during testing. Since the draw then returned to .002 amps, things appear to return to normal.

Oh well. At least Jeep did not charge me for this servicing today and gave my truck a clean bill of health. From now on, I will plug her in to let the battery tender every now and again to keep everything topped off.
Naw, these have a problem. Sitting for a week should not KILL the batteries.
These or any vehicle for that matter, should be able to sit a week and not kill the battery.
They have a serious issue if they have to be kept on a charger. What about those that sit on a dealer lot for a week or those parked at an airport parking lot for a few days while people are out of town? Should they expect a dead battery after a week?
No.
IMO, it's BS if they say that letting it sit for a week will kill the battery.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Perhaps my infrequent driving habits slowly wore the battery down over a period of months until it died the first time. Dead battery causes stepsliders to go nuts due to the dead battery and it’s circuit board logic goes haywire and starts drawing .1 amps off the battery after a recharge. Battery dies a second time due to infrequent driving and the .1 amp draw? Jeep said they tested both the main and aux batteries and they tested good.

On a side note, the first time the battery died, it had enough power to light up the dashboard but not start. My stepsliders were going up and down uncontrollably on both sides. I even de-powered the steps with my in-cab master switch for the steps and they still were going nuts. Had to de-power them at the battery. So maybe it was a circuit board logic issue for the stepsliders. But even if that was the case, is .1 amps enough to kill a battery?

Since resetting the circuit breaker for the stepsliders, amp draw went down to .002. “Control Alt Delete” type fix?

Last edited:

Sponsored

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I had posted before that mine started working again after a long drive to my daughters house 3.5 hours. After being home for a week, its stopped again. Battery charging message. I drove last friday to North Carolina and it was a 7.5 hr drive. It started working after a few hrs and its been working all week. I do a lot of short trips around the county and I guess it just doesn't charge up. It is still working but I'm sure it will stop after a few days. I wonder if a dual battery system would help get rid of this or do I have a weak alternator. Just thinking out loud.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had posted before that mine started working again after a long drive to my daughters house 3.5 hours. After being home for a week, its stopped again. Battery charging message. I drove last friday to North Carolina and it was a 7.5 hr drive. It started working after a few hrs and its been working all week. I do a lot of short trips around the county and I guess it just doesn't charge up. It is still working but I'm sure it will stop after a few days. I wonder if a dual battery system would help get rid of this or do I have a weak alternator. Just thinking out loud.
You have more than enough alternator, I believe a big part of it is the logic used with the PCM and IBS. The IBS determines a lot and stores historical information, the PCM then determines how to charge the batteries or if they even need charging. I suspect that IBS is the problem in a lot of these.
When you have an alternator kicking out 180-240 amps, depending on model and equipment, there's zero reason to expect the charging system itself doesn't have it - it's how the charge is applied, when it's applied. I sit at 14.5-14.7 most of the time I'm driving and in an ordinary system, the batteries would be topped off most of the time, even with only 30-40 minute drives.
Funny thing as an aside- I checked my wife's WK2 battery voltage - her 2021, and it was sitting at about 12.3 volts. I put a charger on it over night and got the batteries up to 12.7.
I was in the garage when she got in and started it and I've never heard a Jeep starter spin over so fast and an engine take off so fast. I've heard her start that thing many times, but this time that starter really spun it over fast.
IMO, that's further proof these batteries are too often never being charged up over 70% - hearing what they do compared to what they COULD do with a full charge.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
You have more than enough alternator, I believe a big part of it is the logic used with the PCM and IBS. The IBS determines a lot and stores historical information, the PCM then determines how to charge the batteries or if they even need charging. I suspect that IBS is the problem in a lot of these.
When you have an alternator kicking out 180-240 amps, depending on model and equipment, there's zero reason to expect the charging system itself doesn't have it - it's how the charge is applied, when it's applied. I sit at 14.5-14.7 most of the time I'm driving and in an ordinary system, the batteries would be topped off most of the time, even with only 30-40 minute drives.
Funny thing as an aside- I checked my wife's WK2 battery voltage - her 2021, and it was sitting at about 12.3 volts. I put a charger on it over night and got the batteries up to 12.7.
I was in the garage when she got in and started it and I've never heard a Jeep starter spin over so fast and an engine take off so fast. I've heard her start that thing many times, but this time that starter really spun it over fast.
IMO, that's further proof these batteries are too often never being charged up over 70% - hearing what they do compared to what they COULD do with a full charge.
The 14.5-14.7v gets applied directly to the batteries, I wonder what would prevent the batteries from charging?

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I took mine in recently for the ESS batteries always charging. They checked it out and said it was fine and I just need to drive it for a little while to reset the system. I said BS it's been saying charging for months and they gave in and replaced both batteries. Works fine now, but for how long....

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
I bought mine on 3-25 and the ESS has not yet worked. I really don't care but if something is wrong I want it fixed. I could put it on a trickle charger.
Sponsored