Sponsored

Has anyone's start-stop system just... stopped working?

Dakarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee (getting Gladiator soon)
Occupation
Network Engineer
Wow, I just got my Gladiator a week ago and first few times driving it the SS worked as expected and I turned it off a couple times. Then driving around yesterday I didn't turn it off and was sitting at a long stoplight and it didn't turn off. I turned engine off and back on and it was still not doing it.
Overall I don't like the feature, especially for things like stop signs etc. But sitting at a long stoplight or waiting for a train, would be a good feature to have imo. I'll see how it goes this week and may have a bad 2nd battery.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I just got my Gladiator a week ago and first few times driving it the SS worked as expected and I turned it off a couple times. Then driving around yesterday I didn't turn it off and was sitting at a long stoplight and it didn't turn off. I turned engine off and back on and it was still not doing it.
Overall I don't like the feature, especially for things like stop signs etc. But sitting at a long stoplight or waiting for a train, would be a good feature to have imo. I'll see how it goes this week and may have a bad 2nd battery.
Change the small display to the ESS screen and it will provide a status update. There are multiple conditions that will stop it from engaging, besides a failing battery.

Mcguyvr

First Name
McGuyvr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '97 TJ McGuyvr version, 06 XK Commander OME Limited
Occupation
Employed
Vehicle Showcase
Well mine was failing for a couple months before I could finally find time to take it in 2 weeks ago to dealer. I advised the likely condition of a new aux batt needed, they complied happily (and also installed the iron steering box!) and ESS worked for one day and just says “charging” ever since, regardless of time speed distance (at least a 2 hr drive was done).

Didn’t mention anything about a sensor reset but find it odd it worked for one day. Is there some other fuse or connection issue possibly with this issue? Guess I’m heading back to them again.

Batt voltage does read consistently 14.2. So does that mean the replacement they gave me is a dud also? Or maybe they just charged it for reals :(

hmmmm. Prolly gonna get jeepcares involved too if this gets sticky.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don't like it? Move to Canada. (see pic)
Like it? Move to Florida.

I've been saying it's cold! Even my truck thinks so LOL

Jeep Gladiator Has anyone's start-stop system just... stopped working? stop-start-outside-tem

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mcguyvr

First Name
McGuyvr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Employed
Vehicle Showcase
Yep…”been charging” for 3 months. Temps good here in AZ tho I’ve seen a few different messages for it over the year and a half.

EezyE

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Took mine in last week as it hasn’t worked for a couple of months. They replaced the small battery and it worked on the way home. It stopped working the next day. It is going back to the dealer next week.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I wish

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine in last week as it hasn’t worked for a couple of months. They replaced the small battery and it worked on the way home. It stopped working the next day. It is going back to the dealer next week.
They may need to reset the IBS - intelligent battery sensor - apparently they can get to where they report incorrect information to the system. |
They've also had a history of "bad batteries".
Our 2018 had both batteries replaced at 34 months/13,000 miles

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
"Stopped working" and "not in a ready condition" are two very different things. ESS is designed to engage only if everything is just right. If the porridge is too hot or too cold, it won't do anything. That's not broken, that's design. There are a ton of conditions that would prevent it from engaging (air temperature, engine temperature, charge state, steering wheel angle, climate control, etc).

The simple fact that it didn't engage doesn't say much. If you aren't looking at the status screen when you think it "should" engage, then you don't know what's going on, and you really can't say it's broken.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
"Stopped working" and "not in a ready condition" are two very different things. ESS is designed to engage only if everything is just right. If the porridge is too hot or too cold, it won't do anything. That's not broken, that's design. There are a ton of conditions that would prevent it from engaging (air temperature, engine temperature, charge state, steering wheel angle, climate control, etc).

The simple fact that it didn't engage doesn't say much. If you aren't looking at the status screen when you think it "should" engage, then you don't know what's going on, and you really can't say it's broken.
That's a great point.
People can scroll the cluster screen using the up/down arrow buttons on the left half of the steering wheel. Scroll either way until you get to screen 7. The number shows near the top left side of the cluster display right in front of you as you scroll - then that number disappears after a couple of seconds so you only see what page you are on while scrolling.
Page 7 is ESS status.
I recently found mine wasn't working due to "outside temperature". Those in the midwest, Iowa, MN, ND, SD, and Canada or AK likely knows what that means the past couple of weeks or so -too damned cold!!
(It was 0 (F) while I was driving that day I saw that message)

Mcguyvr

First Name
McGuyvr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Employed
Vehicle Showcase
Well as I suspected, visit to dealer to make another drop off.
whilst going over the issue of the no ESS, I read the tech notes stating they only charged the batt and I thought they were replacing. Hence it only lasted Half a day.
I figured since the battery felt cover and my marks had been undisturbed.

Figure the dealer will try cheapest method first. Sadly this frustrates the educated owners at large for rework.

And, since the new steering box was installed, I’m 10deg steering wheel left. Go figure. I wonder if they even bothered with a front end alignment aftwrwards.

Goes in thurs. Will let you know results.
again.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you take in the LATEST TSB for steering. The first several never said to align it. I can see why dealers may not - because in an ideal world what does changing the steering gear have to do with alignment? Nothing - but it can impact steering wheel centering in a less than ideal world. So the latest TSB has instructions to align it and covers that under the TSB reimbursement section. Before that if they did an alignment, or anything except replace the steering gear, they got nothing for that other stuff - they barely got paid for the time it took to replace the steering gear and work the air out of the lines and pump and check the fluid again. There was no time beyond the bare-bone steering gear replacement on the TSB. So most didn't do anything else. It meant lost time/money.
Now they can do it and get paid.
I took mine back with the latest TSB and asked them to please check alignment. I knew it was ok and I had centered the wheel myself, but they did and I got a printout of the current alignment as a baseline if nothing else.

Mcguyvr

First Name
McGuyvr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Employed
Vehicle Showcase
Great advice SP. Hadn’t kept up on all the specifics for that. Always glad we can count on engaged members such as yourself.

is there a separate TSB # or alignment is updated in the original? I’ll go search it.
Thanks kindly.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have it handy - here it is -

Note that this one also specifies replacing the PITMAN nut! The others did not and some members have found the pitman nut loose. They also say replace the pinch bolt (clamps the steering column intermediate shaft coupler to the steering gear input shaft)
Prior versions didn't mention that so the parts got re-used. Not good.
I like that the words **pitman shaft nut** have ** before and after like "PAY ATTENTION TO THIS!"

Jeep Gladiator Has anyone's start-stop system just... stopped working? 1644198538175
Sponsored

Attachments