Sponsored

Has anyone's start-stop system just... stopped working?

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Maybe it depends on where you live. I travel up to NYC and down to DC often and when in traffic it is terrible. Can’t be good for the vehicle to turn off and on so much either. Either way, mine if now off and stays off and I don’t miss it.
Ah, good point! I don’t think I would like if I was stuck in traffic. That would probably suck. I’m mostly driving around town.
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
This is what it shows:

20210101_162827.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, good point! I don’t think I would like if I was stuck in traffic. That would probably suck. I’m mostly driving around town.
And you know that you can control it with your FOOT - how you use the brakes and the pressure you apply (or don't apply).
If I don't want it to stop - like coming to a stale red, I feather it. If it's a fresh red, I push harder more quickly, and let it stop.
When a stop light lasts for just shy of 2 minutes........
Also if it's truly stop and go, it will not kill the engine again until you have moved a certain amount.
I can see the issues with a stick, but it's never been any issue with an automatic. It frankly causes no real troubles.

Danzigsdad

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 85 Toyota 4WD, 2000 Landrover Disco II
Occupation
Mil
Disconnected hood pressure switch is said to disable the start stop. Check that

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And you know that you can control it with your FOOT - how you use the brakes and the pressure you apply (or don't apply).
If I don't want it to stop - like coming to a stale red, I feather it. If it's a fresh red, I push harder more quickly, and let it stop.
When a stop light lasts for just shy of 2 minutes........
Also if it's truly stop and go, it will not kill the engine again until you have moved a certain amount.
I can see the issues with a stick, but it's never been any issue with an automatic. It frankly causes no real troubles.
Yep, I agree. Once I gave it a chance and learned how it works, I’ve come to like it. For the same examples you pointed out, it has changed my driving habits. I was only trying to to understand from @Phljeeper point of view why it didn’t work out. I’m typically not one to debate someone’s reasoning for liking or disliking anything - to each their own.

My experience from talking with others with newer vehicles, when the topic of ESS comes up, most people haven’t spent the time to learn how to use it and go straight to saying it sucks and disabling it.

Everyone’s driving styles/commutes are different, so even though it can be controlled by your foot, it may interfere with their driving habits or they may simply find it as a nuisance.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I agree. Once I gave it a chance and learned how it works, I’ve come to like it. For the same examples you pointed out, it has changed my driving habits. I was only trying to to understand from @Phljeeper point of view why it didn’t work out. I’m typically not one to debate someone’s reasoning for liking or disliking anything - to each their own.

My experience from talking with others with newer vehicles, when the topic of ESS comes up, most people haven’t spent the time to learn how to use it and go straight to saying it sucks and disabling it.

Everyone’s driving styles/commutes are different, so even though it can be controlled by your foot, it may interfere with their driving habits or they may simply find it as a nuisance.
Baffles me because, assuming AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - it's not causing any trouble. It's a control thing, something is doing something I don't like sort of thing.
But for interfering with anything, the most it could possibly do is to drop your reaction score down .3 or .4 seconds when you get your time slip on the way back to the staging lanes or pit area LOL.
Whatever.

Dhelmink

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I just noticed mine has not been working either. I have a 2020 jeep gladiator and while it is not really that critical it is irritating that a new vehicle with less than 6000 miles Would experience this. I have mine in the shop for routine stuff and ask them to look at that as well.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just noticed mine has not been working either. I have a 2020 jeep gladiator and while it is not really that critical it is irritating that a new vehicle with less than 6000 miles Would experience this. I have mine in the shop for routine stuff and ask them to look at that as well.
Please keep us posted on what they say. Mine has 5,000 miles.

snide

First Name
Big Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
On my '20 Sport S, ESS hasn't worked until after I put 5000 miles on. Now, it seems to "work" in cold weather, or at least, more often than I want. Haven't gotten into the habit of pressing the off switch on the dash yet.

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Mine hasn’t worked since I picked it up from a dealership Mopar lift install in October.

The status always reports “battery charging” unless another condition which would normally prevent it from engaging is happening (cold engine, turned wheel, etc, etc).

My driving style hasn’t changed—sometimes if I drive on the highway for several hours it may turn on—but inly

I did leave it connected to a 1-amp trickle charger on two separate occasions (40-80 hours straight), and that allowed the ESS to function for a few days following both extended trickle charging sessions.

I currently have it at the dealership for this and the steering TSB. The dealer gave me an update that batteries “were just low”—I tried to reinforce my experience, but I have minimal expectations.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here’s something interesting. A while back when I first noticed my ESS stopped working, I read on one of these threads where someone’s dash for their EAS read “battery charging”. When they took it in to have it looked at, one of the nuts was loose on the negative terminal on the main battery and after tightening it, the auxiliary battery started working again.

I thought about this last night while running for some wires for rear lights, so I stopped and took a look at my main battery. I checked the nuts for the two posts and both were tight. While continuing to work, I started thinking about it more and my auxiliary battery issue started around the same time I installed some Rigid lights. The wiring harness that came with the lights fit the small post on the main battery (I think this is the post where the auxiliary battery connects to the main battery. I could be wrong, but someone will correct me). So I thought, what the heck, I changed the fitting on the harness and put it on the larger post.

I didn’t think more about it until I was running errands around town this morning and my ESS started working again. I’m not an electrician, but I’ve always heard if you don’t have a good ground, electricity does strange things.

Anyway, my ESS is back up and running after driving around town for about 10 minutes.

I know there’s bad auxiliary batteries across multiple CFA makes/models, but I would be interested if others with this issues have accessories grounded to the smaller post and if changing it, resolves their issue.
Well crap. I thought I was on to something that fixed my issue, but ESS returned to not working today. No idea why it started working yesterday. Now I’m back to back to thinking it’s a bad aux battery. Oh well.

UncleChanBlake

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
Education
I have this same issue. Mine started about a month ago. There isn’t an error message, but when you scroll to the start/stop on the dash console, it will say something like “engine hasn’t warmed up” or “battery is charging”. Mine worked for 5,000 miles just fine. At first I thought it was because I only drive short 10 minute distances and maybe the battery didn’t have time to charge. I finally drove it for two hours and it started working for a day and then went back to “battery charging” message. I’ll have mine looked at when I take it in for an oil change. There are lots of threads on this.

Also, if everything appears to be fine with no messages, check the user manual. There are about 24 different conditions on why it may or may not activate - like your AC or heater is on, or you’re stopped on an incline, there’s a bunch of conditions that effect how it works.
Mine often does not turn off when my defrost is on.

NightFog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 20 Gladiator Rubicon
I haven''t had a problem with the Gladiator but stop/start quit working on my
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. I don't miss it as it was a PITA anyway.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Well, I picked mine up from service today.

They said they fully charged the battery and in the morning it was down to 53% charge.

They blamed my hardwired dash cam. I told them the cam actually can’t drain that fast and the ESS had never been an issue until they installed my Mopar lift.

They unplugged the cam, gave me back a truck that was still stuck at “charging battery”, and had the nerve to try to charge me $316 for a diagnostic.

I’m not saying the cam doesn’t consume any power, but it was never an issue before and I am confident it is impossible fir it to consume that much power. Also, how could it actually PREVENT a set of healthy batteries from charging while driving?
Sponsored