Sponsored

The good and the bad of a roots supercharger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
These videos are pretty decent for tips and trucks. It is a gen 1 motor but everything he says applied well to the gladiator motor.

Sponsored

Jules Cee

First Name
Jules
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch (RHD)
I bought the cam tools. It made the job really easy. With the timing gear lock in place you can unbolt the cam phaser and then just wiggle the cam out with the timing and everything still in place. I was able to leave the blower on, and just remove the battery and fuse block tray. Had plenty of room.

I purchased:
1. Intake cam
2. 6 x intake rockers
3. 6 x intake lifters
4. Valve cover gasket
6. Amazon Pentastar cam tools for 2010-2021
7. Camshaft assembly lube
8. Gray RTV for aluminum sealing surfaces, for the timing cover split at the valve cover and for taking off the small oil pan and cleaning it out.
9. VVL front solenoid
10. VVL rear solenoid

The oil pan was mostly clean the oil filter was trashed, I had changed it thre times in the last 2000 miles when I knew what was going on. It has been clean, since the work.
Awesome - thanks mate!

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
Well look what I just found on Facebook. It is happening folks, and the sad thing is it is almost undetectable until the damage is done. If you are having a rattle you need to have misfires logged on your Engine for each individual cylinder when ot is revved beyon 3500 rpm at 50-75 percent load.

Here is what I found. There is a variable lift oil solenoid in the front of the valve cover. At Idle to 2800 rpm it is off and supplies oil to the number 1 intake rocker. Once you get over 2800 RPM it turns off and the rocker is spring loaded to go to full lift. The problem I had, is the ECM turned it off but the oil kept flowing so the high lift lobe was never getting activated and I imagine has done this to my cam. There is no diagnostic or sensing measure for this failure. The 3 and 5 cylinders are on a different solenoid.

So rocker problems as they where in the old 3.6 may be solved, but this is a whole new level of mess.😲

img_2_1645704694138.jpg

img_1_1645704686927.jpg
I just replaced my Bank 1 Intake cam as well. I am supercharged as well. Every single lobe on that cam was eaten away and the rockers were scoured badly. At the moment, I still cannot figure out why. I replaced the cam as well as all rockers and lifters for both intake cams. Still not sure I have the problem solved. Now, after having my tuner make adjustments, I suddenly have a P0017. So, Bank1 is giving more problems. Jeep only has 38000 miles and it has not been performing 100 percent since day one, but it never through a code until it ate the cam completely out of it. the other problem, Im stuck in the fuckin UK on military orders and none of the Jeep Cares or dealers want to mess with me, so I do the work myself.......everytime I order a part, two weeks, before I can get the damn thing. Im not so sure that the Cam Postition Sensor is actually bad, so I want to maybe go ahead and change the cam phaser for the Intake cam on Bank 1. ( I figure it would be a good time to make sure the cam is wearing properly at install.) but, i cannot find the Intake cam phaser, not even through any of the factory mopar websites. I wish this would just end and I could drive my truck and enjoy. Any suggestions?

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just replaced my Bank 1 Intake cam as well. I am supercharged as well. Every single lobe on that cam was eaten away and the rockers were scoured badly. At the moment, I still cannot figure out why. I replaced the cam as well as all rockers and lifters for both intake cams. Still not sure I have the problem solved. Now, after having my tuner make adjustments, I suddenly have a P0017. So, Bank1 is giving more problems. Jeep only has 38000 miles and it has not been performing 100 percent since day one, but it never through a code until it ate the cam completely out of it. the other problem, Im stuck in the fuckin UK on military orders and none of the Jeep Cares or dealers want to mess with me, so I do the work myself.......everytime I order a part, two weeks, before I can get the damn thing. Im not so sure that the Cam Postition Sensor is actually bad, so I want to maybe go ahead and change the cam phaser for the Intake cam on Bank 1. ( I figure it would be a good time to make sure the cam is wearing properly at install.) but, i cannot find the Intake cam phaser, not even through any of the factory mopar websites. I wish this would just end and I could drive my truck and enjoy. Any suggestions?
Did you cleannoff the cam position sensor? When the cam goes bad it gets cover in Iron shavings and the signal gets erratic that was part of how I knew what side was bad

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘99 XJ, ‘09 JKUR, ‘21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
@DAVECS1.
For the masses that will probably look to this thread for reference I think mopar part numbers will help them order if/when this repair falls onto them.
Mopar Bank 1 intake camshaft: 05047913A

Mopar intake rocker arms (ea):
5047896AD

Mopar right side c cover gasket:
4893804AB

Mopar Intake valve lash adjuster (ea):
5047896AD

Mopar VVL solenoid Front:
5047897AC

Molar VVL solenoid Rear:
5047901AC

Feel free to add/edit with anything else they may need. Obviously the timing tools and various other hand tools will be as needed.

Sponsored

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
Did you cleannoff the cam position sensor? When the cam goes bad it gets cover in Iron shavings and the signal gets erratic that was part of how I knew what side was bad
I did Pull it when i swapped the cam. I cleaned everything when it was out. Not to say it isnt an issue now. I can pull it again and see.

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
As per post above... the centre lobes above all 6 intake valves are toast; as are the rockers
Gladiator cam - 4.jpeg
Gladiator cam - 1.jpeg
Gladiator cam - 2.jpeg
This is what mine looked like at 38000 miles. every lobe was like this. I pulled both covers, because the rockers and lifters are the same part number on both sides. I replace all lifters and rockers, but not the bank 2 cam. It looked perfect. Now I have those as a backup set, if needed for the bank 1 side again. What is causing the issue? I did not find anything wrong with the rockers or lifters, other than the wear surfaces. they seemed to function fine outside the vehicle.

Jules Cee

First Name
Jules
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what mine looked like at 38000 miles. every lobe was like this. I pulled both covers, because the rockers and lifters are the same part number on both sides. I replace all lifters and rockers, but not the bank 2 cam. It looked perfect. Now I have those as a backup set, if needed for the bank 1 side again. What is causing the issue? I did not find anything wrong with the rockers or lifters, other than the wear surfaces. they seemed to function fine outside the vehicle.
Wow, another failed cam shaft, huh… did your bank 1 intake lifters look different to the new replacement ones? Wonder if yours is another case like Dave’s diagnosis, ie exhaust lifters being put in the intake side from new…

Jules Cee

First Name
Jules
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good news I guess that your bank 2 cam is ok. Re intake cam phaser - rockauto seems to have non-genuine available (searched: 5047785AE)

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘99 XJ, ‘09 JKUR, ‘21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
So far, every pic I’ve seen here or otherwise, the cam is chewed and the lifters are wrong. Mine is the same on Bank 1. Wrong lifters, scored camshaft, ruined rockers. To those looking into bank 2, my lifters were correct on that side. No issues with my cams on bank 2 other than two rockers having the low-lift rollers feel tighter that the other 4. Replaced those two. The drivers side is a PIA with the Magnuson. I had to pull the charger off and re-set the aluminum alternator/idler bracket, as the top pulls itself toward the rear of the intake without the blower there. None of the blower mounting holes would line up until I loosened the bracket. Between this and mine being super picky on the tune, the whole Magnuson experience has been a nightmare.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far, every pic I’ve seen here or otherwise, the cam is chewed and the lifters are wrong. Mine is the same on Bank 1. Wrong lifters, scored camshaft, ruined rockers. To those looking into bank 2, my lifters were correct on that side. No issues with my cams on bank 2 other than two rockers having the low-lift rollers feel tighter that the other 4. Replaced those two. The drivers side is a PIA with the Magnuson. I had to pull the charger off and re-set the aluminum alternator/idler bracket, as the top pulls itself toward the rear of the intake without the blower there. None of the blower mounting holes would line up until I loosened the bracket. Between this and mine being super picky on the tune, the whole Magnuson experience has been a nightmare.
So yours had the correct lifters in the driver's side??? That is so messed up and a relief at the same time. Such frustration, because these are clearly assembled wrong, nothing to do with the blower. I was hoping maybe my contact on the inside may have misunderstood some information and the lifters just got revised, but if you have different lifters side to side, well.....

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
Wow, another failed cam shaft, huh… did your bank 1 intake lifters look different to the new replacement ones? Wonder if yours is another case like Dave’s diagnosis, ie exhaust lifters being put in the intake side from new…
All lifters were correct, but upon purchasing the new ones, it looked like there was an update, so I purchased all 12 as well as all new rockers. There is still a slight tick and I have a P0017 code. I am waiting on a new CPS and VVL Solenoid to show up. I think the ultimate cause is a defective VVL Solenoid, from the factory.

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All lifters were correct, but upon purchasing the new ones, it looked like there was an update, so I purchased all 12 as well as all new rockers. There is still a slight tick and I have a P0017 code. I am waiting on a new CPS and VVL Solenoid to show up. I think the ultimate cause is a defective VVL Solenoid, from the factory.
Can you explain what you mean by "update" the exhaust lifters has a groove around the pivot portion. The intake lifter doesn't

0225221905.jpg

shanesibley

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR Gator
Occupation
Military
Can you explain what you mean by "update" the exhaust lifters has a groove around the pivot portion. The intake lifter doesn't

Jeep Gladiator The good and the bad of a roots supercharger. 0225221905
What it came down to was, when i found that the part number was replaced by a new one. I saw a couple places that had the old part number and I assumed that is what I had in my truck. So, I made sure that they were all matching NEW part numbered items. They did not look any different. They could have had interior design changes or just a different manufacturer. At the time I was already balls deep into the engine, I figured, I would make sure it was good to go. Honestly, I was shotgunning parts at it at the time, making sure everything was the most up to date part numbers in-case they made relevant changes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator The good and the bad of a roots supercharger. 0225221905
OK, guru of 3.6, master of tunes......... I am curious. What is the difference (aside from the groove, duh) between them functionally.
Both appear to have the hole and upper half that controls the two-step rocker or follower.
The lower half is the normal lash adjuster part, right?
The groove with hole above that portion, on the upper half of the body, appears to be the same.
Different internally?
What's the groove for in the top portion that rides in the end of the rocker?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.