Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a thought (putting tint on them). Maybe my eyes are just sensitive. Both the window switches and license plate lights are annoyances. My Mojave is not for sale. 😎
I still instinctively reach for the door panel area when wanting to use the windows.........
I can understand why they are not in the doors, though - battery power in the door in yet another wire. (and the windows take more amperage so likely larger fuses involved than, say, power mirrors?)
I'd thing there would be a way, like a low power lead to the switch in the door, running a relay elsewhere, but then you would have how many switches in that door and how big would that connector we talk about have to be? A lead for each of the 4 windows, not just a lead for that door, but power into the door, to the switches, then back out from each of 4 switches again. We already don't like that connector.
But I get it - even my wife, as a PASSENGER, complains about the switch location.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
I still instinctively reach for the door panel area when wanting to use the windows.........
I can understand why they are not in the doors, though - battery power in the door in yet another wire. (and the windows take more amperage so likely larger fuses involved than, say, power mirrors?)
I'd thing there would be a way, like a low power lead to the switch in the door, running a relay elsewhere, but then you would have how many switches in that door and how big would that connector we talk about have to be? A lead for each of the 4 windows, not just a lead for that door, but power into the door, to the switches, then back out from each of 4 switches again. We already don't like that connector.
But I get it - even my wife, as a PASSENGER, complains about the switch location.
My Subaru has them in the center console which is a much more natural position and doesn’t quite throw me as much. I completely understand not having them on the door though as a large number of people run without the doors.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
On replying to comments...
Mirror body can be moved.
Ess already has dedicated threads.
Headroom? Take off the top.😉
Issues with backup camera quality or stereo? Take it to the dealership.
Volume controls are great when left arm is on driver's door and the volume can be adjusted without removing hand from the steering wheel.
There is a setting in Uconnect to turn lights on with wipers when headlights are set to automatic.
Headliners are a factory option.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Subaru has them in the center console which is a much more natural position and doesn’t quite throw me as much. I completely understand not having them on the door though as a large number of people run without the doors.
Console would make sense - instead of looking reaching and operating a switch away from you.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On replying to comments...
Mirror body can be moved.
Ess already has dedicated threads.
Headroom? Take off the top.😉
Issues with backup camera quality or stereo? Take it to the dealership.
Volume controls are great when left arm is on driver's door and the volume can be adjusted without removing hand from the steering wheel.
There is a setting in Uconnect to turn lights on with wipers when headlights are set to automatic.
Headliners are a factory option.
Some of the taller guys actually hit their heads on the bar above - roof off. Sometimes there's an advantage to not being tall - not very often, but sometimes.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
I don't understand the hatred of the ESS it's one of the features I like on the vehicle. Sitting at a light or drive through throwing gas through the engine for no reason seems stupid to me.

I wish the seat was a bit closer to the floor. If i sit with my butt all the way back my feet don't touch... YAY being short. :( Most of the time it's nice being shorter than average. I'm also more comfortable in cars where the seat is closer to the floor. More of a recliner position than a formal chair position.
You must drive like my wife, seat cranked up all the way so she can see over the hood. Then when i jump in, i bang my legs on the steering wheel. Crank your seat all the way down, then no way your feet are dangling like an amusement ride.

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
I actually don‘t mind hitting the shut off button too much. I’m just glad they included it. What would really piss me off is if there wa no way to run it off at all. They should have designed it so that it would stay off unless you turned it back on though.
That's exactly what this module does...

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
Yeah, but if you aren't running doors you don't need window switches. So it doesn't make sense to me from a user standpoint.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
What would you need the switch for if you’re not running the doors?

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
The only thing I can think of is it's so you can remove the driver's door and still get the windows to go down on the other doors from the driver's seat, but who does that?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Something I didn't notice much until I put a tonneau cover on, but why don't the bed lights come on when you open the tailgate?
Screenshot_20210903-072040.png

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I most definitely run doors on mine. I have a major aversion to the heat here inTX I’M full blast a/c all the time hiding from the sun. 🥵

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
The only thing I can think of is it's so you can remove the driver's door and still get the windows to go down on the other doors from the driver's seat, but who does that?

yeah, but I was thinking of the wiring. One less connection to the body. 🤷

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
Some of the taller guys actually hit their heads on the bar above - roof off. Sometimes there's an advantage to not being tall - not very often, but sometimes.
I am not tall by any standards and I’ve hit my head a few times!
Sponsored

Last edited: