Sponsored

They had the capability, they made it better, stronger, faster...

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
In going the upgrade route, your only choice for lockers is ARB, so $1K for a rear locker and whatever $$ for onboard air. If you want a 4:1 case, you'll have $2800 in an AA Atlas.

The Max Tow gives you ~10% more towing capacity over the Rubicon, which your upgrades budget will eat into as weight goes up.

I've taken a 12' cargo trailer full of my step-son's family household from the Central Valley to Chula Vista with no problems. Keeping up with traffic on the 5 is possible but unwise with a trailer. We were really pleased with how well the JTR tows. Our expectations were high and they were met.

With the $300 Tazer, the locker in 2Hi and swaybar disconnect in 2Hi make for a super nice ride on dirt roads. My wife really appreciates it!

For all that I miss a stick and am glad to have one in my YJ, the modern automatics (the ZF specifically) are light years ahead of even ten years ago. Offroad, the tools are there to do amazing things with the smarts built into the truck.

If you plan to wheel your truck, the most capable factory versions are worth considering.

So far the top tip I've gotten coming out of this are, "get the aux switches no matter what if you're going to do things."

Other than that I've narrowed it down to Sport S with Max Tow or Rubicon. So, still on the fence. I'm probably going to sign on the dotted line on the fence I guess...
Sponsored

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Just my opinion, no figuring involved.
The Rubi squats more with weight on it, for one thing.
You are right, we shouldn't tow with it at all.. Lets all formulate opinions on how much each vehicle should be towing.. Seriously, factory puts out a spec, you can safely tow at least that, if not more!

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Are these 35s on 20s?
Fuel Rampages with 35x12.5x 20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Not my first choice as I am a bit more on the military/off road side of things,but I got a swinging deal on the combo and cannot complain about a two piece forged wheels.

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Fair, but what about long-term durability?
not sure on the answer to that one as the 3.6 pentastar has been around than the diesel they are using. (to my knowledge anyway). Just glad to not have to worry about all the smog nannies and filters, and DEF , and yada yada yada. I just came from a ZR2 Diesel colorado.

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
not sure on the answer to that one as the 3.6 pentastar has been around than the diesel they are using. (to my knowledge anyway). Just glad to not have to worry about all the smog nannies and filters, and DEF , and yada yada yada. I just came from a ZR2 Diesel colorado.
More fair points. I guess I'm just trying to wonder if part of the justification is resale. You know, kind of engine that'll take you to 250k guaranteed. I may be living in a different era mentally.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
A stock Rubicon will do anything a Max tow will do other than than the last 650 pounds of rated tow capacity. Reality is, if you are going to be towing 6000 pounds with any regularity, they are both a bad choice. If you are talking about a 1500 pound landscape trailer, neither one is going to struggle and neither one is superior to the other.

A stock Rubicon with 35's will put you in the 95th percentile of what people will use it for offroad, maintain good road manners, and maintain good resale value.

OP
OP

RacerX00

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape, 2008 VW GTI
A stock Rubicon will do anything a Max tow will do other than than the last 650 pounds of rated tow capacity. Reality is, if you are going to be towing 6000 pounds with any regularity, they are both a bad choice. If you are talking about a 1500 pound landscape trailer, neither one is going to struggle and neither one is superior to the other.

A stock Rubicon with 35's will put you in the 95th percentile of what people will use it for offroad, maintain good road manners, and maintain good resale value.
This seems to be the prevailing opinion of people who know what they're talking about.

If I'm pulling something that weighs 6000 pounds I'm making a lot more money landscaping and will be paying other people to drive crap things to pull it. :LOL:

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
?? So you tow more than 3000 lbs without a weight distributing hitch?

Seriously, tow something with a JTR and get back to us.
Wasn't meant to ruffle feathers, folks. We have a Pentastar equipped Durango rated at 6200 lbs. It tows my 4500 lb cargo trailer decently. Posted a thread on this forum about it actually. Done plenty of towing for decades.

And hell yes, I routinely tow 3000+ lbs without a WDH!!

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

yep yep . . .

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are right, we shouldn't tow with it at all.. Lets all formulate opinions on how much each vehicle should be towing.. Seriously, factory puts out a spec, you can safely tow at least that, if not more!
Where did I say you shouldn't tow with it at all??

You go on to say that a vehicle can safely tow more than the manufacturer has specified.

Want to try again?

rmerkushen

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Where did I say you shouldn't tow with it at all??

You go on to say that a vehicle can safely tow more than the manufacturer has specified.

Want to try again?
to some extent, yes. But the definition for safely is subjective. I had towed with trucks more than the recommended towing capacity. Was it safe, around town yes, would I do 400 mile run, probably not. Rubicon can safely tow 7000lbs according to the factory spec. That is 2000 lbs over what your expert recommendation is. My point here is, there is a safety margin there, I am guessing 7500 lbs trailer would be no problem given Gladiator long wheel base. You have to remember, its the wheel base that's giving stability, and not the bouncy suspension.

I will agree with you that the Rubi suspension is soft. I replaced rubi factory fox shocks with fox 2 non factory, And night and day difference.