First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
A crowbar hammered in between the DB and the bed rail and then used will take care of that. Nothing stops a determined thief. Either the DB or the bed will give easily.
Yes, a crowbar hammered into the d@*ch-b@g would work.

@SilverBW408 sorry man. Some people just suck.

@ACAD_Cowboy I agree, stuff is stuff and you can get more. My dogs (GSPs) are part of my family but would lay down their lives for us. My guns are for the personal protection of my family and myself. I had one on my hip when someone drove down my 1,000 yard long driveway at 3AM. What I pulled was my cell-phone and waited for the State Police. But, I was prepared. The dogs were inside with the family while I waited between the intruder and my house and family.
I was taught that you don't pull a weapon unless you are going to use it and when you must use a weapon, you use it to it's capability.
Sponsored

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
That blows man, sorry.

I have a DECKED storage system so unless it's pouring rain I roll up my tonneau cover.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Yikes sorry that happened.

To all, not targeting the OP: please remove all firearm or hunting stickers from your Gladiators. Same goes with stereo stickers. It's a bullseye thieves.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Here in my neck of the woods people get shot over stuff like that, so generally crime is low. I can't remember a time when I've ever had a vehicle messed with while unattended.
As a few others here already stated no "thing" is worth a life, even a thieving douche of a life... but maaaan I'm sure most including my self would love to think inside our own brains of beating that thief's brains out or putting a few rounds through him.

Does he want to attract dirty mike and the boys to turn his car into a fuck shack? Because that's how you attract dirty mike and the boys to turn your car into a fuck shack.
lol might be better to clean out dirty Mike than ants. No one wants ants, keep the doughnuts off the floorboards Pam.

Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Yep - is why locking gas caps/doors are dumb. Let the thief EASILY steal your gas. Lock the cap? He'll just cut fuel lines or crowbar the cap open causing hundreds if not thousands in damages.
Well, I'll stay 'dumb' then and avoid the risk of vandals putting something into my gas which will necessitate tearing apart my fuel system to clean out....

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
A few comments:
I hardly think a hood lock and gas cap lock qualify as luxuries - right? I had them on my first car ever which I paid 100$ for in the 1970's :)...At the very least they should have them as an option (esp the hood lock) for us folks into "Luxuray" ;-). This isn't rocket science, all they need to do is run a cable and what not. No need to take the traditional latches on the sides off either.

And what about all that other Garbage they option in these Jeeps these day, I hardly think the GI's in WW2 had heating steering weels and what not.

Rough? Just about every option package kinda tosses the "rough" image out the window.
*Rough*meaning basic, for modern transportation. Not rough meaning a world war ii jeep with a go-devil engine that can only go 60 mph, and no radio, doors (when you want them anyway), windows, or seatbelts. Not rough meaning boring (Santa Fe). Jeep folks are willing (and many times wanting) to go without some things to get others unique to the vehicle. I'm not saying I agree with all the decisions jeep makes (except the hood latches, I love those haha), but the folks in the market for a Wrangler/Gladiator have a different expectation than most other vehicles, and jeep recognized that. We have things 'normal' vehicles don't have, and they have things we don't.
As far as cold weather packages go, Jeep correctly surmised that they could get away without offering locking gas caps or hoods, but couldn't get away without offering heated seats and steering wheels, without losing sales, since folks use these as winter transportation. Even then, it's an option. With the bronco out, maybe things will change a little bit. There are a lot of folks on this board that wish their jeeps didn't even have carpet.
I think Jeep is looking for a middle ground between customization, modern necessities, and old school image. I also think they absolutely knocked it out of the park, nailed it. A lot of folks that buy jeeps don't want to pay for things just to change them later, including the hood latches and gas caps. On one hand, I want navigation. I want heated seats and proximity sensors, satellite radio, and stability control. I want led lights, and decent safety ratings. On the other hand, I want a manual, a removable roof, removable doors, and not much else. Locking gas doors? Most Wranglers don't even have gas doors at all, so this is luxury!

Last edited:

AZ_Adventure_Clicks

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardmitchellphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
VBS Consultant
reminds me of a story I heard...
One day an accordion player parked his car on the street and headed up to his 35th floor apartment. About halfway up he remembered he left his accordion in the car. Cursing, he hurried back to his car but it was too late: someone had already smashed the window and put another accordion in next to his.

Sambo Rambo

First Name
Samson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sarge Green Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Detective
Does he want to attract dirty mike and the boys to turn his car into a fuck shack? Because that's how you attract dirty mike and the boys to turn your car into a fuck shack.
Hahaha. I was thinking the same thing.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
*Rough*meaning basic, for modern transportation. Not rough meaning a world war ii jeep with a go-devil engine that can only go 60 mph, and no radio, doors (when you want them anyway), windows, or seatbelts. Not rough meaning boring (Santa Fe). Jeep folks are willing (and many times wanting) to go without some things to get others unique to the vehicle. I'm not saying I agree with all the decisions jeep makes (except the hood latches, I love those haha), but the folks in the market for a Wrangler/Gladiator have a different expectation than most other vehicles, and jeep recognized that. We have things 'normal' vehicles don't have, and they have things we don't.
As far as cold weather packages go, Jeep correctly surmised that they could get away without offering locking gas caps or hoods, but couldn't get away without offering heated seats and steering wheels, without losing sales, since folks use these as winter transportation. Even then, it's an option. With the bronco out, maybe things will change a little bit. There are a lot of folks on this board that wish their jeeps didn't even have carpet.
I think Jeep is looking for a middle ground between customization, modern necessities, and old school image. I also think they absolutely knocked it out of the park, nailed it. A lot of folks that buy jeeps don't want to pay for things just to change them later, including the hood latches and gas caps. On one hand, I want navigation. I want heated seats and proximity sensors, satellite radio, and stability control. I want led lights, and decent safety ratings. On the other hand, I want a manual, a removable roof, removable doors, and not much else. Locking gas doors? Most Wranglers don't even have gas doors at all, so this is luxury!
Yea, but most of what you want contridicts any immage of Rough even the new one you posted...For example, the cold wether group, c'mon, sorry, that isn't rough no matter what definition you want to use. Neither are most of the other things you want.

Still, a high level of optimization is great, NP, everyone gets what they want...

Almost lol..

A hood lock and locking gas flap or cap is such a trivial matter and a tiny cost, it is "assumed" standard by almost all people driving these days...Whatever reason (I havn't heard a good one yet) Jeep has not to offer it at least as an option is just silly. I don't even think they have a reason, just a Laziness or Arrogance of sorts with a captive audience...I'd bet most first time jeep owners don't even know there is no hood lock until after they take ownership - LOL.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, but most of what you want contridicts any immage of Rough...The cold wether group, c'mon, sorry, that isn't rough no matter what definition you want to use.

High level of optimization is great, NP, everyone gets what they want...

Almost lol..

A hood lock and locking gas flap or cap is such a trivial matter and a tiny cost (relative), it is "assumed" standard by almost all people driving these days...Whatever reason (I havn't heard a good one yet) Jeep has not to offer it at least as an option is just silly. I don't even think they have a reason, just a Laziness or Arrogance of sorts.
This is the perfect textbook example of "because it's a jeep thing". I'm sure we won't ever see eye to eye on it, and that's ok. The great thing is anything you might want is available. Jeeps have to do seemingly dichotomous things at once, balancing old with new. A lot of vehicles don't have locking gas caps, btw. That's not quite standard across the board. But I don't think anyone familiar with jeeps would expect it standard. We don't even have power windows or locks standard. Wranglers don't have AC standard. And it's because people explicitly want vehicles that way.
I bet most first time jeep owners don't even know there is no hood lock until after they take ownership - LOL.
Isn't it immediately obvious? The latches are on the outside. This is my first modern jeep (last was a 97 TJ). I kind of just assumed it wouldn't have a hood lock or locking gas door.
The parts department will absolutely sell you the locks you seek, for not too much, dough, by the way. $200 gets you a genuine Mopar hood lock and gas door lock.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/part-ymm/2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-gas-cap.html

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215137ab.html

Last edited:

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
A crowbar hammered in between the DB and the bed rail and then used will take care of that. Nothing stops a determined thief. Either the DB or the bed will give easily.
Regardless, they won't be able to get into the bed without a lot of time AND effort.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regardless, they won't be able to get into the bed without a lot of time AND effort.
Unless they broke the glass window and unlocked the doors (and tailgate) from the cab haha.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
Had my Glad 48 hours. Went to drive it, check engine came on. Drove around block and parked it. Looked for anything obvious, found nothing. Thought I would check gas cap... Holy crap someone stole the gas cap, cut the little plastic lanyard and took the cap. Why would someone need a Glad gas cap??? Bought Mopar lock cap to replace.
I got the locking gas cap too - did you figure anything out for re-tethering the locking one, or do you just rest it on the truck bed?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I got the locking gas cap too - did you figure anything out for re-tethering the locking one, or do you just rest it on the truck bed?
I put the locking gas cap on right after I bought it. After about a year, the tether that came with the new cap broke off where it attaches to the truck. Now, I just set the cap on the running board while filling it.
Sponsored