Sponsored

Thinking about on board air compressor ...

slothead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Overland
Occupation
NASA Consultant - EE
Vehicle Showcase
I can air down easily, but getting air (or some other gas) back in is more of a problem. I've seen various sizes of compressors and CO2 tanks, but: Where do you get CO2 tanks refilled, and what is a good way of anchoring them in the bed? Obviously N2 is an option too, but that is basically air (79% N2, 20% O2). I've got a little emergency compressor for the car, but that would probably take hours to air up the 35's.

So let's here some ideas and recommendations guys.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I can air down easily, but getting air (or some other gas) back in is more of a problem. I've seen various sizes of compressors and CO2 tanks, but: Where do you get CO2 tanks refilled, and what is a good way of anchoring them in the bed? Obviously N2 is an option too, but that is basically air (79% N2, 20% O2). I've got a little emergency compressor for the car, but that would probably take hours to air up the 35's.

So let's here some ideas and recommendations guys.

Thanks,
Tom
Hi Tom,

I'm looking forward to hearng what others are doing with CO2. I went with ARB's portable dual air compressor as a stop gap until I figure out the final solution. Hopefully I can hard wire this system into DawgBox permanently along with a CO2 solution. Thinking about using an Air Up Air Down Onboard Air Delivery System to be able to air up all 4 tires at the same time whether by compressor or by CO2.

158688.jpg

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
I’ve used CO2 in the past. What I did was a tank that I could take out, it came with a bracket that held it in place. To refill I’d take it to a paintball place. As far as size it was big enough to fill between four and five sets of 35s. A couple of us would air down to 5psi. Something to think about!
I still have the tank and mount but haven’t used it in a few years.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
ARB Twin AIr Compressor mounted under the passenger seat on an ARB bracket. Only real complaint is you have to order several bit-piece parts to put the system together since it's designed for a variety of use-cases. They let you pick the small pieces you need, and with the tight space under the seat, your local hardware store probably doesn't have it. A friend built me a hose system to hook it up to all four tires, If I can get this STFA working correctly it will be quite nice (I can't select a pressure higher than 27 PSI). Even without it, it's nice to not have to squat at each tire holding the air line in place. You can see brief video of the system in operation here ...

10:40 if not forwarded ...

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
ARB Twin AIr Compressor mounted under the passenger seat on an ARB bracket. Only real complaint is you have to order several bit-piece parts to put the system together since it's designed for a variety of use-cases. They let you pick the small pieces you need, and with the tight space under the seat, your local hardware store probably doesn't have it. A friend built me a hose system to hook it up to all four tires, If I can get this STFA working correctly it will be quite nice (I can't select a pressure higher than 27 PSI). Even without it, it's nice to not have to squat at each tire holding the air line in place. You can see brief video of the system in operation here ...

10:40 if not forwarded ...

How long does it take you to air up?

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
How long does it take you to air up?
I haven't timed it, and have only used it twice. Maybe six, seven minutes? That's from 20 PSI up to 32 PSI.

capercrew02

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ, BMW i3, Red JTR.
I have the innovative JK 4 tire kit with the dual compressor and hands down its worth every penny. I love that it ultimately doesn't take up any space, I always have it with me, and never need to worry about refilling a tank on multi day trips.

Last edited:

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I gave the innovative JK 4 tire kit with the dual compressor and hands down its worth every penny. I love that it ultimately doesn't take up any space, I always have it with me, and never need to worry about refilling a tank on multi day trips.
Thanks for your feedback...bookmarked them for one of the next upgrades!

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
I have the innovative JK 4 tire kit with the dual compressor and hands down its worth every penny. I love that it ultimately doesn't take up any space, I always have it with me, and never need to worry about refilling a tank on multi day trips.
i also recommend this. All 4 tires can be done at the same time, the unit sits under my driver seat rather than take up extra room in the engine bay. Great kit.

Sponsored

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
i had the portable twin ARB & bought the ARB under passenger seat mount then tied it together with Air up down system. works like a charm. i put the regulator behind the Seat mount

DawgBox

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
i had the portable twin ARB & bought the ARB under passenger seat mount then tied it together with Air up down system. works like a charm. i put the regulator behind the Seat mount
Great to hear...I’m definitely going to look into the mount.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Some pictures

6B90391A-FDF1-4F0D-954B-A19D9981A315.jpeg

68121CA4-91D0-401A-A4CA-2864D8842915.png

AAD162A2-BED5-4201-9A9A-E29F83CCB657.jpeg

3374863B-3623-4214-A35C-3537E7F4B59C.jpeg

01051128-6588-4D5E-B4EC-38A7ADE21203.jpeg

E45CFF87-E129-42B2-80EB-135B239AAB37.jpeg

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Innovative JK Products setup. No regrets at all. Quick to hook up, air down/up and does a good job of equalizing pressures between tires.

I considered the UpDown Air kit, but honestly it just looked way more complicated that it needed to be with running air lines to the rear, drilling, etc. And it was quite a bit more expensive. Also, I will eventually be putting in a dual battery setup and the UpDown Air controller seems to occupy similar space.

I never really considered CO2, but I can see the appeal. Granted, I've already had my compressor for a few years so the buy-in cost was lower than for most, but this is the perfect set up for me personally.

20200401_151532.jpg
20200401_152658.jpg
20200401_181150.jpg

20200401_184747.jpg
Sponsored