Sponsored

Thinking about trading in my Tacoma for a Rubi…

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
This is a very valid point, especially the fundamental superiority of IFS vs SFA for daily use. If you understand the compromises required by an obsolete suspension design, it's actually impressive the Jeeps handle so well!

Likewise, given the fundamental limitations of IFS offroad, it's very impressive how well the workarounds do work - that swaybar disconnect on the new Bronco is pretty neat!

Toyota reliability in the olden days was from anemic engines and strong drivetrains, not sure whether the differences today are the same magnitude they once were. Know a couple of FJ owners that had to spend some $$$ to keep trucks they love running after some unfortunate failures.

Your Taco will no doubt be more reliable and easier to drive on the highway with IFS.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I went for a test drive on a Gladiator Rubi today. To be honest, I liked t better than the taco in almost every way.

Whether it will be as trouble free and reliable is debatable, but from what I’ve been hearing I think Im willing to roll the dice at this point if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Would that be a smart move on my part? IDK, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with my truck other than it’s not a Gladiator, plus it is paid for. It’s very nice looking truck. It’s rare when I don’t get a compliment on it whenever I’m out. Also very capable off road as is with the OME lift and suspension. I’ll have to do some hard thinking…

thanks to all who’ve contributed so far. . .

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
I don’t really think the Toyota reliability everyone thinks of relates to any of their American market trucks, specifically the Tacoma. The gen 1 Tacoma (from 95-04) were still hilux’s, so yeah they had the old reliability but from 05’ and up they have not been what people idealize. C channel frames from the cab back, Frames rusting in half, running drum brakes in the rear, motors and transmissions from the camery (top of the line camery but still). The current gen are not worth what they are going for other than their name.

CokreeateJT

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Ray Gray JTR
I had a long travel Tacoma. Always wanted a jeep but need a truck bed.
When Jeep announced the Gladiator that was it. Won't ride as smooth as a IFS but puts a smile on my face every time I drive my Jeep. You won't regret it. I have about 22k on my JT now and no issues so far.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Had a 2019 Tacoma I trade in when I got my 2020 Gladiator. The Tacoma was fine but always felt I was driving a car and not a truck. Would have no problems staying in the Tacoma if the Gladiator never came out but it is just way easier to mod and a lot more capable with the Gladiator.

Last edited:

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I have had a couple minor inconveniences on mine that have been handled by the dealership. ESS battery failure and they replaced both batteries, steering gear TSB completed at the same time.

One issue some rubicons have, and mine is being looked at next week for it, is the diff lock sensor. I got home from a trip last week and noticed the rear locker light was on. I hit the button to turn it off but it keeps coming back on its own thinking the locker is engaged. The locker is not engaged (cannot engage in 2H or 4H stock) but I don't need the truck thinking it's on. There have been a few reports of this and the solution so far has been a rear axle replacement under warranty. A couple guys have gotten the "service rear locker" warning but I am not at that point. I don't know that this will prevent you from driving it but for now mine is parked until my dealer appointment. I have another car to drive so I'm not taking chances of tearing anything up.

Overall I love my truck and miss driving it, even for a few days. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I went for a test drive on a Gladiator Rubi today. To be honest, I liked t better than the taco in almost every way.

Whether it will be as trouble free and reliable is debatable, but from what I’ve been hearing I think Im willing to roll the dice at this point if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Would that be a smart move on my part? IDK, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with my truck other than it’s not a Gladiator, plus it is paid for. It’s very nice looking truck. It’s rare when I don’t get a compliment on it whenever I’m out. Also very capable off road as is with the OME lift and suspension. I’ll have to do some hard thinking…

thanks to all who’ve contributed so far. . .
It's an interesting proposition to go from paid off to taking on new debt.

Only you know your financial situation. If you can comfortably afford it and want it, now is one of the best times given the used car market. This bubble isn't sustainable, so if you can get the value out of the Taco, go for it.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I have had a couple minor inconveniences on mine that have been handled by the dealership. ESS battery failure and they replaced both batteries, steering gear TSB completed at the same time.

One issue some rubicons have, and mine is being looked at next week for it, is the diff lock sensor. I got home from a trip last week and noticed the rear locker light was on. I hit the button to turn it off but it keeps coming back on its own thinking the locker is engaged. The locker is not engaged (cannot engage in 2H or 4H stock) but I don't need the truck thinking it's on. There have been a few reports of this and the solution so far has been a rear axle replacement under warranty. A couple guys have gotten the "service rear locker" warning but I am not at that point. I don't know that this will prevent you from driving it but for now mine is parked until my dealer appointment. I have another car to drive so I'm not taking chances of tearing anything up.

Overall I love my truck and miss driving it, even for a few days. I would not hesitate to buy it again.
Tazer allows for the lockers to be engaged at any speed.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Tazer allows for the lockers to be engaged at any speed.
That's why I said stock. I don't have a Tazer and cannot engage lockers outside of 4L

Sponsored

Jfondren3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Audi Q3
I am in the same situation. I have enjoyed my Taco but I have been looking hard at Gladiators. I was surprised to learn that it looks like the best deals to be had are by ordering. I actually found one on the lot at Tri Cities, but they wouldn't deal on it like they will an order. That lead me to Gupton as they are discounting them more than Tri Cities. I am in NC so I need to do the math on whether its still a better deal to drive all the way back from Tennessee or pay more from a more local dealer. I also need to figure out the most efficient way to sell the Taco and that strategy differs depending on Tri Cities vs Gupton too. Or do I just wait until the 22's? So many decisions. I went ahead and signed up for Tread Lightly last week, so there is some progress.

It might be worth looking at the dealer in Gastonia, NC. I purchased my Mojave from them a couple months back and I was very happy with the deal. It was about 8% under MSRP and I was trading in a 9 month old 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road with 15000 miles. They gave me more on trade-in than I paid for the truck.

This is my fifth Jeep, and I prefer them to everything else. I just had to scratch that itch with the Tacoma and I just never loved it. The Tacoma is a great truck, but the seating position isn't right for my build. I also got really jealous of the Jeep crowd when I started looking at lifts and tires. I'm planning to throw 35s on the Mojave and call it a day...

Toyota does have reliability, but they aren't perfect. I'm still not sold that frame rot won't be an issue on the 3rd gens.

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
It might be worth looking at the dealer in Gastonia, NC. I purchased my Mojave from them a couple months back and I was very happy with the deal. It was about 8% under MSRP and I was trading in a 9 month old 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road with 15000 miles. They gave me more on trade-in than I paid for the truck.

This is my fifth Jeep, and I prefer them to everything else. I just had to scratch that itch with the Tacoma and I just never loved it. The Tacoma is a great truck, but the seating position isn't right for my build. I also got really jealous of the Jeep crowd when I started looking at lifts and tires. I'm planning to throw 35s on the Mojave and call it a day...

Toyota does have reliability, but they aren't perfect. I'm still not sold that frame rot won't be an issue on the 3rd gens.
You hit the nail on the head with my relationship to my Taco. I like it but I never loved it. Seems like I always had to do something else to it to make more palatable and I’m still not through. If I get a Rubi I plan on a lift and 35’s and I’m done. There may be some minor things I do to it here and there as time goes by, but I’m not planning anything crazy.

Now to figure out how to get the most value I can for the Taco Trade in. I’ll give that dealer you mentioned a try. Thank you for that information!

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
You hit the nail on the head with my relationship to my Taco. I like it but I never loved it. Seems like I always had to do something else to it to make more palatable and I’m still not through. If I get a Rubi I plan on a lift and 35’s and I’m done. There may be some minor things I do to it here and there as time goes by, but I’m not planning anything crazy.

Now to figure out how to get the most value I can for the Taco Trade in. I’ll give that dealer you mentioned a try. Thank you for that information!
I’m sure you’ve heard this already , but make sure you get prices from Vroom, Carvana before you speak with a dealer. They are offering crazy money now, especially Vroom and you can always use that quote as leverage with the dealer.

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I’m sure you’ve heard this already , but make sure you get prices from Vroom, Carvana before you speak with a dealer. They are offering crazy money now, especially Vroom and you can always use that quote as leverage with the dealer.
I just sold my wife’s RAV4 to Carvana. The problem with them is they don’t want modded vehicles so they wouldn’t be interested in my Taco. On the other hand, I don’t think my Taco would last a day on a dealer‘s lot.

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it

Can you give me the name of the specific dealer you’re talking about? I looked up Jeep dealers in Gastonia, NC and there a few of them.
Sponsored