First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
I am planning to buy a small TT to be pulled by my JTR. I do not have either of the towing packages on my truck, so I just wanted to make sure I am not forgetting anything that will be needed.

1.) Mopar Class IV Hitch
2.) Weight Distribution Hitch
3.) Trailer Brake (I like the Curt wireless one)

What else will be necessary for my truck to pull this trailer? It’s about 3,000 pounds dry.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Since you have the rubicon you are mostly good I think from things like cooling and gears, your an auto tranny, right? Does the non towing package have the plug for the trailer lights still in the back?

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
I am planning to buy a small TT to be pulled by my JTR. I do not have either of the towing packages on my truck, so I just wanted to make sure I am not forgetting anything that will be needed.

1.) Mopar Class IV Hitch
2.) Weight Distribution Hitch
3.) Trailer Brake (I like the Curt wireless one)

What else will be necessary for my truck to pull this trailer? It’s about 3,000 pounds dry.
If starting with no tow package, you have the ability to tow 2000lbs with a ball in bumper that goes into the frame mounted hitch.
Without a tow package you can add the Class III receiver add-on and weight distribution hitch to tow 3500 lbs.
Replacing the stock bumper mount with the Class IV hitch will increase it to 4000lbs max without any tow package.

Just FYI. If you don't intend to tow over 3500 you can save 1/2 cost of class IV hitch by just adding the class III add on.

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
You will also need tow mirrors. This is the setup I have. I used them last weekend and it a godsend.
Rampage Mirrors

Adapters

Make sure you have to correct rear bumper. My JTR came with the trailer electrical connections, but did not have a reciever for a hitch. I could only mount a ball on the bumper. I had to buy the factory bumper with the hitch mount and install it myself. After that I was able to tow my 3,450lb travel trailer with no issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
I
If starting with no tow package, you have the ability to tow 2000lbs with a ball in bumper that goes into the frame mounted hitch.
Without a tow package you can add the Class III receiver add-on and weight distribution hitch to tow 3500 lbs.
Replacing the stock bumper mount with the Class IV hitch will increase it to 4000lbs max without any tow package.

Just FYI. If you don't intend to tow over 3500 you can save 1/2 cost of class IV hitch by just adding the class III add on.
I am confused on this, if I add the Mopar class IV hitch why am I only rated to tow 4,000? I thought it was closer to 7,000?

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
You will also need tow mirrors. This is the setup I have. I used them last weekend and it a godsend.
Rampage Mirrors

Adapters

Make sure you have to correct rear bumper. My JTR came with the trailer electrical connections, but did not have a reciever for a hitch. I could only mount a ball on the bumper. I had to buy the factory bumper with the hitch mount and install it myself. After that I was able to tow my 3,450lb travel trailer with no issues.
How can I be sure I have the correct bumper? It’s the stock steel rear bumper.

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
Since you have the rubicon you are mostly good I think from things like cooling and gears, your an auto tranny, right? Does the non towing package have the plug for the trailer lights still in the back?
Yes, it’s an auto tranny and it does have the plugs on the rear bumper

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
I just realized your Rubicon would only have the 4500 lb limit without the tow package if it was a manual transmission, with auto the Rubi does hit 7k. Sorry I've had so many figures off that chart in my head I needed to read it again before speaking. My fault.
Cheers

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geauxcrush

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Basketball Coach
I just realized your Rubicon would only have the 4500 lb limit without the tow package if it was a manual transmission, with auto the Rubi does hit 7k. Sorry I've had so many figures off that chart in my head I needed to read it again before speaking. My fault.
Cheers
No worries, I just got scared for a second! Thank you for explaining.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
While I do recommend the towing mirrors, the thing I could likely not do without is a rear view camera…. It’s a game changer! You are completely blind without one….. Changing lanes is scary with out one!

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I always carry the following when towing
Small floor jack
Set of basic tools
Spare trailer tire and wheel
Breaker bar with sockets for trailer lugs
Small compressor
Tire pressure gauge
Assorted ratchet straps

Jpeazy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport 4x4 w/ Max Tow
Occupation
USN
While I do recommend the towing mirrors, the thing I could likely not do without is a rear view camera…. It’s a game changer! You are completely blind without one….. Changing lanes is scary with out one!
which camera system do you have?
Sponsored