TPMS in Spare?

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Anyone know how long the TPMS batteries last in general? Are the batteries replaceable like when you change tires?
The solution is to install new TPMS sensors which will have new batteries. Years ago, I read an online how-to about someone cutting open a GM tire pressure sensor, removing the old battery , and installing new battery. It looked like a lot of work. Now maybe that particular sensor cost a lot more than the ones for these Jeeps but it didn't look worth the hassle.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The solution is to install new TPMS sensors which will have new batteries. Years ago, I read an online how-to about someone cutting open a GM tire pressure sensor, removing the old battery , and installing new battery. It looked like a lot of work. Now maybe that particular sensor cost a lot more than the ones for these Jeeps but it didn't look worth the hassle.
But with an expected life of 6-10 years (and everyone I know personally has seen at least 5-6 out of them) it would seem that replacing a battery in a device that is 5+ years old is, well............... is it worth it?? Sealed devices once unsealed - unless sealed again as well as the factory did it, are subject to moisture, oxidation, etc.
Frankly, I've never had one not work in any vehicle I've ever owned. Never had one fail - but if I did, I wouldn't ask "is the battery dead?". I start over. You have no idea how much life is left in the device itself.
That's a way of saying - yeah, it wouldn't appear to be worth the hassle.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
But with an expected life of 6-10 years (and everyone I know personally has seen at least 5-6 out of them) it would seem that replacing a battery in a device that is 5+ years old is, well............... is it worth it?? Sealed devices once unsealed - unless sealed again as well as the factory did it, are subject to moisture, oxidation, etc.
Frankly, I've never had one not work in any vehicle I've ever owned. Never had one fail - but if I did, I wouldn't ask "is the battery dead?". I start over. You have no idea how much life is left in the device itself.
That's a way of saying - yeah, it wouldn't appear to be worth the hassle.
So for most people it looks like you will replace all the sensors when getting new tires. Anyone got a price on a new TPMS?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So for most people it looks like you will replace all the sensors when getting new tires. Anyone got a price on a new TPMS?
I didn't. I bought a 5th Overland wheel, bought a set of 5 new tires from the dealership. They installed the one TPMP sensor I provided (bought through Benny here) and all was well with the world. OK, maybe not THAT good - but all was well with my wheels and tires.
I bought 5 from Benny originally. 4 went into the Rubicon take-off wheels and tires I bought and I kept the 5th back for the future spare wheel and tire.
I think I paid somewhere around 120 or 125 or similar for the set of 5? Been a couple of years now since I bought them.
Anyway, bought 5, used 4 in Rubicon wheels and tires (take-offs)
Sold those wheels and tires with TPMS sensors in them to a forum member.
Kept the 5th of those 5 and it was put in an Overland rim I bought and 5 tires were installed.
I have the 4 original sensors that came with the truck/wheels/tires and one new one in the spare.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I just picked up a set of five for $150. Be Careful which ones you buy, they are year specific... either a build date before/after 6/5/2021

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They might work when stationary, but they will not pair or program until they rotate, hinse why the spare is not detected when it has a TPMS.
Like said earlier - if you drive, then stop, they are still working, but to make the batteries last, they do go to sleep after a while.

It varies with brand/vehicle but some can be as short as 10 minutes, others 20 minutes, etc.

Some vehicles require the TPMS sensor to be in sleep mode when the relearn procedure is initiated.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
The Mopar TPMS has "do not reuse" stamped on the stem of the sensor.... I think this is the case for stems without the sensors also... I have always understood it wasn't good to reuse them anyway.... might be a safety thing ??

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The Mopar TPMS has "do not reuse" stamped on the stem of the sensor.... I think this is the case for stems without the sensors also... I have always understood it wasn't good to reuse them anyway.... might be a safety thing ??
Yeah, it is not a best practice to reuse the rubber style stems. The conical shape is meant to be installed one way and seated. To try and remove that type of stem will stress that body and it may not seal properly on the next installation.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Like said earlier - if you drive, then stop, they are still working, but to make the batteries last, they do go to sleep after a while.

It varies with brand/vehicle but some can be as short as 10 minutes, others 20 minutes, etc.

Some vehicles require the TPMS sensor to be in sleep mode when the relearn procedure is initiated.
I totally agree with you... I must have replied to the wrong person/thread...sorry... watching old school star wars and typing doesn't mix..lol I meant to reply to the guy saying they work while stopped

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree with you... I must have replied to the wrong person/thread...sorry... watching old school star wars and typing doesn't mix..lol I meant to reply to the guy saying they work while stopped
Eh, I get in a hurry sometimes and miss context so it's "whatever" - it's all good. For me it's Star Trek....

Sponsored

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
Do Jeep TPMS have to be “programmed” by a dealership to the vehicle like Tacoma’s have to be? I swapped wheels once on my Toyota and discovered the TPMS couldn’t be moved over (angle change). The dealership wanted a ridiculous amount of money to do it.

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do Jeep TPMS have to be “programmed” by a dealership to the vehicle like Tacoma’s have to be? I swapped wheels once on my Toyota and discovered the TPMS couldn’t be moved over (angle change). The dealership wanted a ridiculous amount of money to do it.
No.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hallelujah
DO watch now that they've changed the sensors since summer of 2021 - get the correct part number for YOUR build date, etc. - it's one reason I only buy correct MOPAR part numbered sensors from MOPAR vendors like Benny. I won't try to save a buck with copies or knock-offs.
But the new ones I had installed in the Rubicon tires and wheels I got - they stuck the sensors in, mounted the tires, and I drove out with them working. When I had the 5th one put in a new wheel for a spare with a new tire - it simply worked.
Sponsored