• Total voters

dustanner

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I have a Model 3 that I use to commute(110 miles 5 days a week) and a JLU that I drive for fun but I want to go back to having one vehicle(and drive my Jeep everyday)
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Trade them and buy the JTR...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been seeing a couple JTs down here at the lake the last week or 2. Seeming to get more popular.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It depends on your wants and needs. Do you ever find yourself needing a truck? If so, the JT is your answer. If not, maybe it’s unnecessary. If you have the means, and want one anyway, go for it!

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
What’s the push to get down to one vehicle? The Tesla is saving you probably $250+ a month in fuel for that commute. Additional insurance cost? Not enough garage space?

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
There is a difference between driving a JLU or JT for fun and having to drive it every day for a 100 mile commute.

My JTR is my fun vehicle. I don't think it would be as much fun if I had to drive it 100 miles per day. If I were you, I would commute, when able, with the JLU for two weeks and see how you like the long commute in a Jeep.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I find the JT to be a nicer highway driver than the JKU was, by far. Even so, why wear it out with such long commutes? Try a Gladiator, and consider trading in your JLU for it. Sell the Tesla if you are unhappy with it, or it doesn't give the economy or reliability you want.

Ringmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have a Model 3 and a JT. Here is my opinion:

1. I drive the JT daily. My first Jeep, my first truck. I drove high-end FAST cars previously. I like the JT more than I ever thought I would. Installed some aggressive tires and wheels and changed my attitude from "Get out of the way" to "GET OUT OF THE WAY".
2. I am not a fan of the Tesla. Too smart for me. I like knobs, buttons, switches, and the fact I am driving the car, not the car driving me.
Other family members love it for that reason. The same family member that forgets to turn off the ignition when they get out of the JT because "The Tesla does that for me". And I hear "Why won't this Jeep come pick me up" and I reply, "You need the exercise".

I must admit that if I had a long work commute in bumper-to-bumper traffic, the Tesla would be the answer. But only consider keeping it if you have the full self-driving capability. They are totally two different vehicles - both in size and driving. You already have one of each - what do YOU think is more fun to drive? An engaging go anywhere in any weather vehicle and know you can escape the zombie apocalypse, or keep the motorized
skateboard that is fast, technically advanced, but b-o-r-I-n-g ?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Get the Gladiator and keep the Tesla as the daily driver. I put 32k miles on my Gladiator within 8 months and finally bought a Hyundai Ioniq hybrid (54 mpg) as my daily driver. The Gladiator is now a garage queen and the money I save on gas and wear/tear on Gladiator pays or justifies for the ROI.

Plus, I can keep the Gladiator naked all summer for those sunny days. ☀

94D8182B-A096-4D16-A90E-B650050B2F8F.jpeg

Sponsored

PHX2DCA

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Hey guys. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

This thread hit home a bit and figured I would toss in my $.02.

I am about to hit the end of my non-Jeep lease. I also moved further away from my job so my commute is about 65 miles a day now.

I was considering a Model 3 as a replacement vehicle due to the commute and potential fuel savings but I knew I wouldn’t be happy with the car. I have always wanted a Wrangler but for various financial and lifestyle reasons couldn’t get it to pencil out.

I was in an Uber a few months back and the driver was telling me about his Prius. He picked it up used for less than $10k and put about 50k trouble-free miles on it. So I ended up finding one for myself a few months back. I now have a 50ish MPG car for commuting and soon will have a JT for fun.

I frankly hate driving the Prius but I just filled up the tank (500 miles of range) for $16. I will adapt and overcome. Now I just need work to stabilize for a bit so I can add the JT.

So my suggestion is to sell the Model 3 and the Wrangler. Buy a cheap Prius and the JTR. That’s my plan.

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link

I am about to hit the end of my non-Jeep lease. I also moved further away from my job so my commute is about 65 miles a day now.

I was considering a Model 3 as a replacement vehicle due to the commute and potential fuel savings but I knew I wouldn’t be happy with the car. I have always wanted a Wrangler but for various financial and lifestyle reasons couldn’t get it to pencil out.

I was in an Uber a few months back and the driver was telling me about his Prius. He picked it up used for less than $10k and put about 50k trouble-free miles on it. So I ended up finding one for myself a few months back. I now have a 50ish MPG car for commuting and soon will have a JT for fun.

I frankly hate driving the Prius but I just filled up the tank (500 miles of range) for $16. I will adapt and overcome. Now I just need work to stabilize for a bit so I can add the JT.

So my suggestion is to sell the Model 3 and the Wrangler. Buy a cheap Prius and the JTR. That’s my plan.
I tend to agree with you. He could also just keep the JLU as a weekend warrior.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

Im not alone! Hello fellow Prius and JT owner, lol.

I agree both is the way to get, when it comes down to it having something fuel efficient and easy in traffic is just the way to go. What I also love is not having to rely on the JT daily. Drive it topless and doorless when the weather is nice, park it in the garage or with the cover on it and drive the prius for the few days of bad weather. Stripping down a jeep is a pain at times, and being able to just park it for that one bad day is a life changer.

All that being said right now with current situaitons I feel slightly dumb. I own 3 cars and now drive like 100 miles a month. Pretty much just driving the car that has sat for 3 weeks at this point in a rotation.

FishChowder

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Cmax
This is my plan at the moment as well. I have a Ford C Max (hybrid) that has 2 more months of payments left on it. I plan on keeping that while saving for a down payment on a JT then using the Ford as my primary communter to and from work every day.

If I wanted just one vehicle, I would get the JT. You know you want to or you wouldnt be asking.
Sponsored

Last edited: