Sponsored

Trading in 2020 Sport S for a 2021 Rubicon, given used car prices are soaring?

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
INTERESTING! I paid otd (including dmv fees and sales tax) $41,900 for my 2021 base, auto 8 speed tranny Sport with Max Tow pkg, spray-in bedliner, tinted, 3 PC card top, xm radio, and clear coat paint about four months ago. I wonder if I could break-even or close, and then buy/order another 2021 base S (with pw/pdl) with same options. I am waiting for vroom and carvana offers.

20210517_175807.jpg
Sponsored

Cheef16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I bought a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali gas last August. Paid $62k after tax and all fees (benefitted from an uncle's employee discount and a aggressive GMC incentive at the time). I didn't drive the truck at all (long story) so, seeing how low new inventory was in early April, I put it up for sale at original sticker price ($69k) with less than 500 miles on it. Sold it 10 minutes later to a wholesaler for just a few hundred under asking. He flew an employee to my city to close the deal--I couldn't believe that he thought there was enough money in it to make that investment! The wholesaler sold it to a dealership within a few days and there it sits for sale ... for $76k! I check online every few days to see if it's sold and it hasn't.

After making the sale I ordered a Gladiator Rubicon from one dealerships on this forum. Just picked it up today and drove it home. So, thank to this crazy market I now have a 2021 Gladiator and a pile of cash for accessories and mods!

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
I bought a 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali gas last August. Paid $62k after tax and all fees (benefitted from an uncle's employee discount and a aggressive GMC incentive at the time). I didn't drive the truck at all (long story) so, seeing how low new inventory was in early April, I put it up for sale at original sticker price ($69k) with less than 500 miles on it. Sold it 10 minutes later to a wholesaler for just a few hundred under asking. He flew an employee to my city to close the deal--I couldn't believe that he thought there was enough money in it to make that investment! The wholesaler sold it to a dealership within a few days and there it sits for sale ... for $76k! I check online every few days to see if it's sold and it hasn't.

After making the sale I ordered a Gladiator Rubicon from one dealerships on this forum. Just picked it up today and drove it home. So, thank to this crazy market I now have a 2021 Gladiator and a pile of cash for accessories and mods!
Wow! Incredible deal!

BSD

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
Instead of trying to comp KBB, Carvana... visit the dealer's (or sister dealer's) lot. Find a reasonable comp on their lot, assume sell it for $3k off that price and start haggling from there. It's fun to watch their excuses evaporate.

When I traded my 17 JKUS the dealer offered me $24k. They had an identical model on their lot with more miles for $31k. We managed to agree on $28k, and three days later it was listed on their site for $32k.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
I'm real skeptical of that KBB price. How would they be able to justify giving you a trade-in value that's virtually equivalent to a brand new out-the-door price?

KBB has been notorious in the past for misrepresenting trade-in values in order to encourage people to visit dealerships.
Because dealerships cannot get new Jeeps or any new cars for that matter. I'm not sure if you have noticed, but car lots are empty. The used market is crazy right now. Dealerships are calling private sellers on Autotrader and offering them asking price for their vehicles. In fact you should put your Jeep on Autotrader, ask a stupid price for it and see if you get any interest. It won't hurt any.

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
so are they doing any deals on the new inventory?

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
so are they doing any deals on the new inventory?
If you contact the sales people that members have listed there are, like Daniel from Upton. They are out of Tennessee.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
If you contact the sales people that members have listed there are, like Daniel from Upton. They are out of Tennessee.
thats for ordering. I am mainly speaking on lot sales

H_pipe

First Name
H-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
INTERESTING! I paid otd (including dmv fees and sales tax) $41,900 for my 2021 base, auto 8 speed tranny Sport with Max Tow pkg, spray-in bedliner, tinted, 3 PC card top, xm radio, and clear coat paint about four months ago. I wonder if I could break-even or close, and then buy/order another 2021 base S (with pw/pdl) with same options. I am waiting for vroom and carvana offers.

Jeep Gladiator Trading in 2020 Sport S for a 2021 Rubicon, given used car prices are soaring? 20210517_175807
Did you get the numbers back yet?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Instead of trying to comp KBB, Carvana... visit the dealer's (or sister dealer's) lot. Find a reasonable comp on their lot, assume sell it for $3k off that price and start haggling from there. It's fun to watch their excuses evaporate.

When I traded my 17 JKUS the dealer offered me $24k. They had an identical model on their lot with more miles for $31k. We managed to agree on $28k, and three days later it was listed on their site for $32k.
Yup, I do this all the time. Love to see the dealers face when you do this. :LOL:

Sponsored

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Did you get the numbers back yet?
Yeah vroom was fast, but kinda low for a 3100 miles G. I was expecting higher than the $38k quoted. I am still waiting for carvana's. But even if I get lucky to at least break-even, the challenge is finding a new G with the specs I want close to my location. I only found 4 but they are about 3 hours drive one way! Stickers $43.5 - $44.6k.

20210519_170222.jpg

Jeeperwilly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 2018 WK2 Trailhawk
Occupation
Ecologist
I'm in the same boat. Just order a JTRD a couple weeks ago to replace my 6spd Sport S that has 40k on it. Since reading this thread I figured I'd see what Carvana, Vroom, and KBB cash would do since the dealer I ordered form wouldn't appraise the truck till closer to delivery.

What we was appraised:

2020 JT Sport S w/6spd manual
- Black
- Cold weather pkg
- Tow pkg
- Mopar bed liner
- Mopar Rock Rails
- SXM
- 3pc Black Hardtop
- Rubicon bumper with steel skid
- Mopar Recon wheels and larger Toyos (285/75s)
- 40,150 miles

Also to note, I paid $38,000 out the door in February of last year.

Screenshot_20210520-095747.png

Screenshot_20210519-220823.png

Screenshot_20210519-221848.png

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
I think this has got to be the reality of the situation. Why in the world would a dealer give me essentially MSRP for an old car and sell me a new one on their lot without charging the same premium? There is no gain for them.

I think the only way to maybe do this would be to sell the car to 1 dealer at KBB, then buy the upgrade at under invoice from one of the bulk dealers. Downside here is I'm paying 100% sales tax on the upgrade, so that right there sort of kills that idea. It'd have to be a trade-in scenario, which no dealer is going to make a deal where I come out ahead on the trade.

I think this is a fun idea but I'm dubious. I'll chat with my dealer a bit and see what he says before I totally kill the dream, at least.

In Missouri you can claim the sales tax credit from the sale of your old vehicle up to 180 days before and after your new vehicle purchase, so that is a big part of the math for us.

We just agreed to sell my wife's 2019 4Runner Limited Nightshade to Vroom this week. We paid $43,200 + $1,800 in sales tax in September 2019. Vroom bought it for $47,564 with 26,387 miles on the clock.

She was ready to make a change, so it made sense for us. Plus, she wound up picking a certified pre-owned 2019 BMW 430ix with 14k miles for $36,500 out the door from a local BMW dealer. So we put cash in our pocket and she got a car that she likes better. No, it wasn't a brand new car, but it was at the very least an upgrade in performance. LOL!

The even better part of this is that I get to claim the remaining $11k in credit against the sales tax I paid on my JTRD this April. I should get a check from MO for about $600-$700 or so.

Mrbizkitt

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Occupation
HVAC
In Missouri you can claim the sales tax credit from the sale of your old vehicle up to 180 days before and after your new vehicle purchase, so that is a big part of the math for us.

We just agreed to sell my wife's 2019 4Runner Limited Nightshade to Vroom this week. We paid $43,200 + $1,800 in sales tax in September 2019. Vroom bought it for $47,564 with 26,387 miles on the clock.

She was ready to make a change, so it made sense for us. Plus, she wound up picking a certified pre-owned 2019 BMW 430ix with 14k miles for $36,500 out the door from a local BMW dealer. So we put cash in our pocket and she got a car that she likes better. No, it wasn't a brand new car, but it was at the very least an upgrade in performance. LOL!

The even better part of this is that I get to claim the remaining $11k in credit against the sales tax I paid on my JTRD this April. I should get a check from MO for about $600-$700 or so.
So was the number what Vroom gave you on the internet price what you agreed on? They gave me a price of $30,370
for my 2016 jku Willy which was considerably above carvana and KBB dealers. Just haven’t pulled trigger yet because I just ordered Gladiator last week.

PancakeCritter

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Occupation
Engineer
Also check AutoNation. I just sold them my F-150 Limited for $3k more than I paid 3 months ago. 10k miles for free :)
Sponsored