Transmission needs to be replaced at 32k miles

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Why can’t the Jeep dealers just fix the problems that people are having instead of giving everybody the run around it’s not like everybody is out trying to destroy their vehicles that’s not good business
Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Why can’t the Jeep dealers just fix the problems that people are having instead of giving everybody the run around it’s not like everybody is out trying to destroy their vehicles that’s not good business
Why can’t they be built right to begin with

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
My 2021 just got a new 8 speed at 22k miles.

Took 19 days from start to finish. Was at the dealer from 6/22-7/11. I was afraid it would take much longer because the transmission was on backorder with no ETA.

Hopefully they can get yours back and running in not much time.

Sorry, no help on a loaner or rental. I didn't push this.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
My 2021 just got a new 8 speed at 22k miles.

Took 19 days from start to finish. Was at the dealer from 6/22-7/11. I was afraid it would take much longer because the transmission was on backorder with no ETA.

Hopefully they can get yours back and running in not much time.

Sorry, no help on a loaner or rental. I didn't push this.
850RE I take it?

Sponsored

tonywin

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
My 2020 is an 850RE and I currently have 53k miles. Hoping I don't run into any issues. I was under the impression the transmissions in these were pretty good.

I plan on getting the fluid and filter replaced soon for peace of mind.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Hi all….just looking for any guidance on how to secure a rental/loaner from jeep. My 2020 gladiator needs a new transmission, which is insane. When I first purchased the truck it broke down on me twice needing to be towed to the dealership with like 200 miles on it both times. Loose PCM. Now this. The dealership is saying that once the order the transmission (today) I can call Chrysler and try to get a rental. I’ve already been without a vehicle for 3 days. I had to fight with them and refused to take the jeep back until they resolved the issue. It kept getting stuck in 3rd gear and threw code P0733. They tried to send me home with it and told me it was a stored code after it happened again. Needless to say I did not accept that and now I’m getting a new transmission. I’m having a hard time trusting what the dealership is saying regarding the rental so if anyone has had a similar experience and can provide some insight that would be great. Thanks!
Sell the truck, u probably get more than you paid for in current used car market.

Dont need this kind of hassle and stress for vehicle ownership

Gladiator Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JTR
My 2020 JTR also just got a new 8 speed automatic transmission at 33k miles. Truck is stock.

No real hassle from the dealer other than they didn’t have any loaners available and the process took about 4 weeks due to back order. Jeep Cares was better at giving me updates than my service focal. I submitted request for rental reimbursement and only received 1 week equivalent payment back.

It was surprising, since I was not experiencing any major symptoms. I took it in because I noticed a hesitation or sticking between 3rd and 4th, and they told me transmission fluid was discolored and full of metal shavings.

OP
OP

apanarello11

First Name
Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
psychologist
My 2020 JTR also just got a new 8 speed automatic transmission at 33k miles. Truck is stock.

No real hassle from the dealer other than they didn’t have any loaners available and the process took about 4 weeks due to back order. Jeep Cares was better at giving me updates than my service focal. I submitted request for rental reimbursement and only received 1 week equivalent payment back.

It was surprising, since I was not experiencing any major symptoms. I took it in because I noticed a hesitation or sticking between 3rd and 4th, and they told me transmission fluid was discolored and full of metal shavings.

Wow, they gave me such a hard time, I had to fight to have them replace it. They tried to tell me it could be due to driving behavior (hitting the gas and break at the same time). I literally lost it on them at that point. The jeep was hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd for about 2 months and then got stuck in 3rd and wouldn't shift to 4th, throwing a check engine light 2 separate times. I am considering trading it for a tacoma once I get it back.

They are supposed to receive the transmission tomorrow and they said it should take 2 days to replace it. I am hoping to have the truck back this week. No loaner and Jeep cares has yet to call me back after I lodged my complaint Thursday. I have to say I am incredibly disappointed with jeep. I know plenty of other dealerships provide loaners. It's very inconvenient.

Sponsored

Bffy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Auto industry
Wow, they gave me such a hard time, I had to fight to have them replace it. They tried to tell me it could be due to driving behavior (hitting the gas and break at the same time). I literally lost it on them at that point. The jeep was hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd for about 2 months and then got stuck in 3rd and wouldn't shift to 4th, throwing a check engine light 2 separate times. I am considering trading it for a tacoma once I get it back.

They are supposed to receive the transmission tomorrow and they said it should take 2 days to replace it. I am hoping to have the truck back this week. No loaner and Jeep cares has yet to call me back after I lodged my complaint Thursday. I have to say I am incredibly disappointed with jeep. I know plenty of other dealerships provide loaners. It's very inconvenient.
Wow you guys are lucky here in Canada its been 60+ days and they still can't even give me a eta all I know is part was ordered. But I did get a loaner off the lot but still a bloody eta is all I want and they refuse to give it to me then I hear others getting there's is crazy.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I heard they’re the same, just one is assembled by FCA and the other by the Germans and imported over.
No they are not the same. The 8HP75 is the transmission that goes in the SRT Durango and other vehicles with the 392. It’s much more beefy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The 850RE has been used in Jeeps and other FCA vehicles for almost a decade. This isn't new at all. As I recall it's been in Grand Cherokee for several years. We've had 'em.
I just checked the build sheets for my wife's last 2 Grand Cherokees - 850RE transmissions in 'em.
It's standard for automatics behind the 3.6
It's a solid transmission with a great reputation but people here are talking like it's new or weak or has problems. It's in every Gladiator that has the 3.6 with an automatic.
The other is behind V8s or diesels because of the torque they can handle. The numbers are a clue 50 vs 75 for example.
The 8HP75 is simply built for more torque - otherwise it's the same basic design.

850RE I take it?
If it's gas and automatic, yes, it has the 850. That's a given in Gladiator - and others - with the 3.6
The JT has never used any other automatic behind the 3.6
The WK has used the 850 behind the 3.6.

If it's under warranty, they MUST follow the guidelines from Jeep. They can't simply replace any transmission that the owner says is bad without following certain procedures.
You should see what the dealer has to do in order to get paid for batteries! It's a heck of a process.
It ain't all on the dealer - they want to get paid, too.

As far as bad 850s - keep in mind this is the internet - it's where people gather to complain about troubles so it may look like a lot of transmissions have troubles but it's likely less than .01% - less than 1/10th of a percent.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I always thought the gas 3.6 gets the 8HP50 and diesel gets 8HP75... 850RE is for eTorque motors no?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
From my wife's 2021 WK -

Jeep Gladiator Transmission needs to be replaced at 32k miles 1658202437562