Trim Levels, is it worth it?

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I’m kind of in the same predicament. I’m getting rid of my F150 this week while used car prices are high, and I’ll be buying a gladiator in October. My wife and I are taking a trip to the smokies and Gupton will be an hour away. So once the 2022's come out I will be ordering. I'm hoping that Jeep will bring Gator back, and would really like to see if Jeep will be releasing the newer version of Uconnect.

But anyways I am torn between which trim to get. Sport S max tow, Mojave, or Rubicon. I use to have a 06 TJ, but I sold it when I bought the truck b/c I had to become a big boy and buy a house as well. So to pay the truck off, I sold the Jeep. Didn't want a truck and mortgage payment at the same time when I first became a homeowner. Jeep released the Gladiator and I get the benefits of the Jeep and truck all in one. I always told myself the next time I bought a Jeep, I would just opt for the Rubicon. The amount of money I spent in upgrades and time I took to do it was just worth it to get the Rubicon next time and be covered under factory. So thats where my predicament is. In reality the sport s would be fine for the type of wheeling I will be doing. I have been in situations where a rear locker would have been nice, but I think the front locker is overdoing it. But I love the look of the highline fenders and the Rubicon hood. Something about the regular fenders and hood doesnt flow with me. But its only on certain vehicles if that makes any sense, it looks better with certain lift, paint, and tire combinations. However, with the mojave it would be nice just to have the rear locker, but I would hate to waste that nice suspension since I will be lifting it. Mostly likely 2.5in clayton overland plus. The reinforced frame and knuckles would be nice too, but personally Im not as much of a fan of the mojaves hood vs the rubicons. I would hate to purchase a vehicle solely based on the hood lol, but if I have to look at it everyday I would rather purchase something that I am going to like. And now that I am a bit older now and have an actual job and family. We will be taking more camping/overlanding trips and going to various offroad parks. Main reason why I wanted the Rubicon out of the gate was for the time it takes to do some of the upgrades. Idk its a big decision when you are spending that much money.
Sponsored

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
The Mojave was / is a game changer for me. I haven’t wheeled in years, but plan to enjoy some dunes with it. I like that there’s a bonafide book value and I get a great wheeler that’s turn key with warranty all the way down to the shocks. Plus, I get that added relief that the frame (the backbone of any rig) is beefed up over all other Glads. So, that just makes me glad to have this Glad! In the meantime, its super enjoyable to ride on the streets where it glides through fatigued roads like butter.

FormerToyotaGuy

First Name
Acen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Legislative
If it was me I would go Mojave over an Overland. The Mojave gives you the suspension and a rear locker. I went with Rubicon for same reasons it has front rear lockers, sway bar disconnect and shocks. PLUS resale, just looking at past Jeeps for sale Rubicon and I would assume Mojave are the two people want and will hold value better.
True, you can buy an Overland or a Sport and send it in (parts and shop fees) and when your done you have a truck that is still a lower model and some people my self included would want to know "who did the work".....cousin Kooter in his garage putting lockers in, no thanks.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
PLUS resale, just looking at past Jeeps for sale Rubicon and I would assume Mojave are the two people want and will hold value better
You'll be happy (or frustrated) to hear that it's been proven time and again that the Rubicon doesn't make it hold resale any better than the other models. It's the entire line that has appeal. So... you don't have to buy one model just for that in the Gladiator line.

Back to the main topic, I would consider going with Mojave if I were doing it over again, but only because the marketing is real. I'm not interested in lockers (which was why the Rubicon was never in the running) and have upgraded to better shocks than the Mojave already, or at least comparable. The only thing the Mojave has thats not in the Max Tow are color accents, slightly better seats, bigger bulges in the steering wheel and high fenders.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
You'll be happy (or frustrated) to hear that it's been proven time and again that the Rubicon doesn't make it hold resale any better than the other models. It's the entire line that has appeal. So... you don't have to buy one model just for that in the Gladiator line.

Back to the main topic, I would consider going with Mojave if I were doing it over again, but only because the marketing is real. I'm not interested in lockers (which was why the Rubicon was never in the running) and have upgraded to better shocks than the Mojave already, or at least comparable. The only thing the Mojave has thats not in the Max Tow are color accents, slightly better seats, bigger bulges in the steering wheel and high fenders.
Don't forget, as mentioned above, Mojave also has some beefed up components underneath to take a beating from going out on the dunes at speed.

Sponsored

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
My requirements were simple when I bought my Freedom...

4x4
Tow package
Basic power accessories.

I was actually looking at the Wranglers, but nothing the dealer had fit my needs except for a base model, and I didn't really care to mod it to what I really wanted. I had to buy from the lot that particular day, as I was traveling and needed an immediate vehicle.

The fact this comes with steel bumpers, LED package and leather was a huge plus for me. I've seen too many Jeep low speed collisions with plastic bumpers that didn't fair well.
Those steel bumpers will pay for themselves in the event of a collision.

I can say I am very satisfied with the trim level of the Freedom. This is my DD and I have no plans on modding this thing out for trail/crawling use until it is replaced with another DD. Even then, I doubt it even needs anything done for where I'd take it. When the stock tires wear out, I'll upgrade to 33's, but keep the factory wheels.
I'm thinking that if I want a trail vehicle, I'd go with a Wrangler.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I love it when people respond to "is it worth it" - humans will almost always justify what they have decided and say it's the best. To do otherwise is suggesting that maybe they could have done better. But nope, my choice was the best and it's best for YOU, too.
Lockers have been discussed to death - buying something because it has lockers? Ho-hum, yawn, why do I need 'em? I don't. In fact more than one thread has suggested - even all but proven, for even a typical or average Jeep owner they aren't needed. The rough and tumble guys that crawl boulders and get into some serious stuff may have reasons to have 'em, but I'd bet that 80% of all Jeep owners would truly never miss them if they weren't there.
And to claim that "Mojave/Rubicon will have the best resale" , etc. is bunk. Been debunked.
It ain't even true on Wrangler - why would it be true on a TRUCK?
People also leave out the cost of the money spent.
If I saved 5K by buying an Overland over anything else - that 5K over 5 years at even so-so market years is worth 7K. So that 5K I didn't take out of my investments to buy a truck is now worth 7K only 5 years later.
In a normal spread of time, investments over the last century have averaged at least 10%. So if I left 5 grand in my investments instead of spending it on a level I didn't HONESTLY and truly NEED, that 5 grand over 5 years would be $8,000. That means that I could take the resale value of my truck after 5 years and add another 3 grand to it as money saved is money earned in that case.

If I/you had to BORROW? Similar - that money you borrowed to buy a more expensive vehicle cost you more. In the end your Mojave or Rubicon will not be worth "that much more" because of the equipment and badging. There's multiple posts in other threads on that. So please stop claiming "my truck will be worth more in the end because it's a Rubicon/Mojave".

But people gotta justify their choices - especially to others - or - are they REALLY trying to convince themselves?

Only YOU can decide if something is "worth it" to YOU. Why would I want or need a Rubicon or Mojave? My truck will do everything I've ever asked of it, and even if I some day take it into some dunes or over some rocks or across the Jordan River - it will likely do fine.

(I paid cash for my JT. That means the money I did NOT take out to buy this truck after 5 years will go from $6,000 to being worth $9,600. So I really saved almost 10 grand by buying Overland instead of Rubicon)

True, you can buy an Overland or a Sport and send it in (parts and shop fees) and when your done you have a truck that is still a lower model and some people my self included would want to know "who did the work".....cousin Kooter in his garage putting lockers in, no thanks.
LOL - seriously? Someone's actually gonna ask or even think that? Doesn't take a genius to re-gear differentials. I hang out with dozens of people who have re-geared drag cars putting out hundreds of ponies more than these thing can dream of - and a hell of a lot more torque.
These guys bust axles, snap drive shafts and blow up flywheels. I've done differentials for years.
Try doing 8 second 180 mph quarter miles - and yes, on differentials they geared themselves.
But I get trying to justify your choices.

No one is gonna ask "who did the gears" after they've been in there for a few years especially. Most folks will assume a shop did it - properly. Issues on these things show up fast so unless you re-gear and sell it in the next few months, no one will care. If it's made it a year, it's fine.
And referring to the above, the almost 10 grand saved/earned by buying a lower trim level will more than buy pro work on such things. That's 10 grand I can put into a lot of things. Don't need or want "lockers", not needed (see other threads on that), and if I did decide to go lower gears, a couple grand can likely do that.
All that's needed for differential work is a clean shop, decent tools and attention to detail. (follow the freakin' book if in doubt). I'm far more concerned about idiots doing transmission work than differentials.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I can say I am very satisfied with the trim level of the Freedom. This is my DD and I have no plans on modding this thing out for trail/crawling use until it is replaced with another DD. Even then, I doubt it even needs anything done for where I'd take it. When the stock tires wear out, I'll upgrade to 33's, but keep the factory wheels.
I'm thinking that if I want a trail vehicle, I'd go with a Wrangler.
In stock form the Gladiator is great on trails. Mine is a DD and regularly take it on forest roads and trails.

Last edited:

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Don't forget, as mentioned above, Mojave also has some beefed up components underneath to take a beating from going out on the dunes at speed.
You sir are exactly right! I’d seen this video a while back and just found and watched it again. This guy does a pretty good job of highlighting the MOJAVE’s bad ass backbone that is more than just a sticker and a couple bolt ons. Jeep really expended effort here and I just want to give them their proper credit. I dont recall if he commented on the cast steering knuckles and I read that there were extra heavy duty tranny and motor mounts to absorb impacts. Enjoy…

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
My truck will do everything I've ever asked of it, and even if I some day take it into some dunes or over some rocks or across the Jordan River - it will likely do fine.

(I paid cash for my JT. That means the money I did NOT take out to buy this truck after 5 years will go from $6,000 to being worth $9,600. So I really saved almost 10 grand by buying Overland instead of Rubicon)
My Sport on stock wheels did just fine in the dunes. Tire pressure is the kicker.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My Sport on stock wheels did just fine in the dunes. Tire pressure is the kicker.
Yeah, don't go in with 34+ psi. You want snow shoes, not pizza cutters, on sand.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW - lots of Jeeps on the sand and rocks in Israel. And most are either Grand Cherokee or Wrangler sport models, etc. Hmmmmm, interesting. Roads and trails and streets with a grade of 6% is in the wimpy part of the country.
My wife pointed out some roads that I swear looked like 20 degrees AT LEAST (36%)

MarkyMark80

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales
I think you have to ask yourself, "What am I going to do with my Gladiator?" and then compare it to the trims you are looking at. Personally I have an Overland arriving next week, and I decided on that over a Rubicon and Mojave because I'd be ripping out 80% of what makes those trim lines what they are. I'm also saving a bunch by adding in aftermarket "stuff" myself as opposed to it coming from the dealership. A lot of that was just due to the deal I got from the particular dealership and what they had available.

MojavePierce

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 21 Toyota Camry N-shade
Occupation
Recreation Facilities Manager
I went all in on the Mojave ... no regrets and I did order ... will be upgrading to 35s with new wheels when the tires are due ...
Same as me, the ride is by far the best of any trim level and you can just throw some 35s on it right out of the gate. I might just get a leveling kit but then starting on other mods, not still saving for lift kit and 37s. I am mostly a trail runner so that's my opinion.

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
Went in wanting a Rubi Wrangler, because, you know, that's what's "cool." Once I researched everything, I found out about the Mojave, and I was all-in on the JT. The suspension and tougher components are absolute game changer on the pitiful roads here in Eastern Montana.
Sponsored