Sponsored

TSB steering issue fixed!

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Ok fellas , just picked up Sting from the dealer. New steering gearbox and computer flash (per steering fix TSB). What a difference.

I don’t know if the aluminum housing was too soft and allowed for movement or if it’s a redesign inside the housing but it made a tremendous difference. It passes the “BMW autobahn sneeze test” where if you’re in your lane clipping at 100kph and sneezed and ya stayed in your lane you were good and passed :like: .

I highly recommend getting it done if you had issues with the “free play” and “wander” You still know it’s different than IFS, but comes darn close to Ram and F150 steering. Old and new pix for comparison.

Jeep Gladiator TSB steering issue fixed! 30D2D93F-30CF-44A1-B5B7-C9FE2C49BB19

Jeep Gladiator TSB steering issue fixed! 06798573-6828-4411-B44C-89CBA18BF6E2
Sponsored

Last edited:

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
are those the correct bolts they used? I saw another post yesterday where someone posted some really really long ones like that, and others said they werent the correct ones. Not sure it matters if its holding correctly and the torque stays put, just seems odd to have such long bolts compared to before.,

Also, is that before it was finished? I see you are missing a nut on one of the bolts on the left side??

me_ccie

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Lucky! Dealer keeps denying me because I have an aftermarket suspension (Mopar kit) and my Synergy steering brace.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I’m constantly adjusting steering. I’m always amazed at how well my wife’s odyssey and daughters civic stay in a straight line. It’s like having lane assist but not really lol. I may have to talk to my dealer about this.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky! Dealer keeps denying me because I have an aftermarket suspension (Mopar kit) and my Synergy steering brace.
Must be the Synergy cause I installed my own Mopar 2 Inch, dealer had steering parts order4ed and installed / done in 2 weeks time, big improvement and all I was dealing with was drifting. Find another dealer or pull the dam Synergy off it.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
My dealership says they couldn't find any wandering after they did an alignment. The steering is much better and the vehicle doesn't follow the crown of the road near as much. I wonder what it will take them to do the upgrade under warranty, as I'm 5k miles away from it ending

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
are those the correct bolts they used? I saw another post yesterday where someone posted some really really long ones like that, and others said they werent the correct ones. Not sure it matters if its holding correctly and the torque stays put, just seems odd to have such long bolts compared to before.,

Also, is that before it was finished? I see you are missing a nut on one of the bolts on the left side??

Ya know I didn’t catch that. Will get under there and have a look round.
See if that warrants a nut on there as it seems it should unless it just acting as a locator. :like:
Still it’s working proper.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya know I didn’t catch that. Will get under there and have a look round.
See if that warrants a nut on there as it seems it should unless it just acting as a locator. :like:
Still it’s working proper.

Let us know. I just happened to notice there was a nut there in the before picture, but not in the after.

OP
OP
Moab

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let us know. I just happened to notice there was a nut there in the before picture, but not in the after.
Ok upon further investigation... all cool.
This is a threaded housing. All snug as a bug. I also confirmed this with Jeep.
You’ll never get a bolt on the one side anyway because of design location/tolerances .
Example pic Hope this helps.

09FD7E16-4A18-4CFD-9391-72EAB7DEB6E7.jpeg

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok upon further investigation... all cool.
This is a threaded housing. All snug as a bug. I also confirmed this with Jeep.
You’ll never get a bolt on the one side anyway because of design location/tolerances .
Example pic Hope this helps.

Jeep Gladiator TSB steering issue fixed! 09FD7E16-4A18-4CFD-9391-72EAB7DEB6E7
Great thanks for the update. I hope to one day get this update, but I first have to go to the dealership to do this.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I think mine drives okay but it definitely wanders a bit at highway speeds and will follow road crown much more than I have experienced in the past. My TRJ on 33s did not do this - steering in that was tight as a drum and inspired total confidence.

Since it's not a pressing issue I'm going to wait until I go for my first oil change and schedule it at that point. My dealer has been good to me so far, this one may be the real test

Discount Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2021 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Electrician at FCA
Ok fellas , just picked up Sting from the dealer. New steering gearbox and computer flash. What a difference.
I don’t know if the aluminum housing was too soft and allowed for movement or if it’s a redesign inside the housing but it made a tremendous difference. It passes the “BMW autobahn sneeze test” where if you’re in your lane clipping at 100kph and sneezed and ya stayed in your lane you were good and passed :like: .
I highly recommend getting it done if you had issues with the “free play” and “wander” You still know it’s different than IFS, but comes darn close too Ram and F150 steering. Old and new pix for comparison.

great info and pix

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I think mine drives okay but it definitely wanders a bit at highway speeds and will follow road crown much more than I have experienced in the past. My TRJ on 33s did not do this - steering in that was tight as a drum and inspired total confidence.

Since it's not a pressing issue I'm going to wait until I go for my first oil change and schedule it at that point. My dealer has been good to me so far, this one may be the real test
Coming from an FJ62, I thought my steering was "not bad" with the Falken M/Ts. I am used to loose steering. Now at 15K miles, for the first time, I finally took my JT Rubicon to the dealer for the Clutch recall. I asked them to check the Steering per the TSB, and they agreed it was too much play, and they ordered the steering parts for me. I have to bring it back for installation. Regarding aftermarket parts, I just have Skids and Diff covers under there. I plan to get 37 inch tires and a lift, so, I am glad to have the new steering box.
Note: they also changed the oil for free (5th oil change) and rotated the tires. The dealer put in the correct amount of oil.
Overall, a very nice visit to the dealer.
Sponsored