Sponsored

What are the "MUST HAVE" mods after buying your Gladiator? ($5,000 starting budget)

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Just to be clear Im not judging anyone for doing mods for the sake of doing them because it's what they like rather than need.

Living with it for a bit before hand may help limit the amount of regret when you see a mod that's similar that you like better or works better after you just dropped a bunch of money on something else.
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Usually the number 1 thing is a lift but not with the Mojave

You need wheels with a negative offset
35" MTs (or 37s)
Sun shade for when the top is off
Phone mount (I like the Bulletpoint)
Steel stubby bumper
Winch
Lights if you have any cash left over

Did you get the aux switches?

OP
OP
VolatileA

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
I like to live with a vehicle to find out what I need before dropping coin on stuff. Some people just want what they want even if they don't need it.

Really its up to you. What do you like, need, want?

I added KB Voodo crossbars because they work with a bed cover and mounts on them for fishing poles and bicycles.

That's it. Thats all I needed.

If that changes I'll add stuff.
Makes sense and I will be driving it back to Texas from Nashville via New Orleans so I'll have some highway experience to add to what I may need.

Phone mount and cord!
Heavily depends on your uses.
I’m slowly building as my skills and goals increase. For now rough forest roads.
I started with convenience and safety. Skids of various sorts so I don’t get stranded. Recovery gear (shackles, snatch rope, tree saver, winch). Tire deflators and pump.
And of course what we you do, put on lights before you get a winch. Priorities

edit: I also couldn’t live without the console pockets I put on to hold papers, pens..
Phone mount is def on the list, another member recommended one I've seen before, Bulletpoint I believe it was.

Your recommendations make sense too.

I went with storage and organizers. Quick, cheap and easy.

These aren't "needs" per se but maybe ( in no real order):

Bikini top
mIrrors (doorless)
winch
jack
Onboard air
Front locker
Front sway discos

Really depends on intended use
Mud flaps. I drove around for 2 weeks in my Willys after I bought it and immediately realized I was going to lose a lot of paint after our sandy and salty slush winters with the MT tires. I may even try to find some black JL or Jk take offs and put ATs on for winter driving. Really would like the truck to not start disintegrating at least for a good 5 years if I can help it.
Good point on the flaps, I was a bit worried about scratching the painted fenders but will have them clear wrapped just in case anyways.

Bestop Sunrider
Bed Rack (I went with JCR Offroad)
Grab handles for top rollbar
Phone mount (I have CMMoffroad.com's dash bar ball mount w/ RAM mount and an IG mount)
Gas containers & mounts
I'm new to the Jeep life, is JCR a solid brand to go with on the racks?

IDRIVE throttle controller
Wireless CarPlay adapter
Lange Coyote Doorless Mirrors
Molle Panels
Tonneau Cover
Sun Shade
Good point on the wireless carplay and molle.

How does the Idrive controller compare to others, you like it?

Crucial and practical, thank you for this.

Added to the list.

For me.... Rock slider steps, headliner, and a bed cover.
Where is everyone getting their aftermarket headliner from?

I agree that living with the Jeep and deciding what you need casually is a great idea. Personally, I like my interior very dark - so the first thing I did was get the back windows all tinted nice and dark and added a sunshade to the roof so even when the top is on it's black instead of white.

Good luck!
Tint will be the very first mod, I've had 5% since I was 16, I can't drive without it haha.

Good point on the top being black inside of the white even with headliner it would always be there for when the top comes off, solid mention.

Drive it bone stock for a while...I've done that several times, the last for nearly a year with the '17 Gobi JKUR I traded in to buy my new Mojave. You're off to a good start and I'm looking at some of the same mods but I'm gonna settle in first. I'm using my Mojave in the EXACT environment it was designed for in SW AZ and it's capabilities are amazing, the only thing I "need" right now are detachable front sway-bar links, and the Apex are gonna be in stock shortly. A Tazer will help with settings/features that are currently inaccessible will be nice to have and I'll likely grab an iDrive to deal with the throttle lag. I NEED Rock Slide Engineering step/sliders before I do anything lift/level (AEV Mojave specific 2-inch spacer kit for the win!) and wheel/tire-wise because I'm pretty banged up and have a difficult enough time getting into my Mojave as it sits stock!
I keep hearing everyone talk about the Tazer so I need to do research on what it allows us to do overall.

Appreciate the reply and agreed on driving it somewhat stock for a bit so at least I can tell the difference after the fact.

Bestop Sunrider is a must. Unless you like the growl of CAI it really adds nothing to the performance. I am about to remove my S&B CAI and put on a Hauk snorkel. The S&B intake actually takes away about 20HP over the stock intake. The Hauk will at least provide improved fording capabilities and give me my stock HP back :) Get the touch screen glass for your dash. Makes a massive difference in the feel and cleanliness of the screen. Go with 37's if you are debating between them and 35's. Then you don't have to sell tires for 1/2 the price 2 months later to get the 37's.
I keep hearing great things about the Bestop Sunrider.

Is there records of dyno after S&B intake showing loss of power? I would be shocked if so but I have no idea.

Touch screen mention is good idea, heard someone else mention that before and it's on the list.

Have a feeling I'll have to go the 37" route so I have no regrets.

No right answer here. I agree with @Motoarch. Even if you think you know what you want, live with it a little bit first and make sure of it.
Agreed, will take a few weeks, maybe 2 ;)

Pedal commander or any throttle controller, makes it way more livable for day to day driving!
I've had pedal commander on other rides and agreed that it makes a big difference, added to the list.

Another vote for the "let it tell you what it wants" solution.

The next word of advice is that it depends very much on your situation. As a former Texan living in the Rockies, my needs then are SO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to my needs now. To wit, I would probably not even be entertaining a Jeep anything if I still lived in Dallas.

Up here, I actually need lockers a few times a year just for daily driving. Same for ground clearance. So the Rubicon package is a must (a little late for you, but makes the case).

Heat is not much of an issue up here. I only use AC a month or two out of the year, but heated seats and steering wheel are fantastic (ditto).

A sunroof is excellent up here because there are actually things to look at other than clouds a lot of the time. A Sunrider in the summer is worth my money. A hard top in the winter is better for the snow (possibly but not necessarily also ditto).

We have to worry about bears getting into our cars and wrecking up the joint. Any food anywhere in the vehicle is an invitation, and the JL/JT generation doesn't have the bear proof handles like my wife's JK. Add a toddler to the mix, and seat covers are a must. If something is spilled when the bears are awake, you have to get the seat covers out and cleaned up before night fall.

I'm much less inclined to advocate for lifts, because I regularly drive through a lot of really windy roads, and that higher center of gravity (or anything else that negatively affects handling) is a liability.

The point is, what you get from this thread may not apply to your particular situation. Circle on back to living with it, and let it tell you what it wants.
Thank you for the long response.

Location will def play a role here so I agree on that.

I chose the Mojave because I'm mainly either going to be in Texas and the South or Los Angeles with some adventures in Colorado.

So the majority of it's life will be in warmer climates without rocking climbing involved plus after testing driving the Mojave, the softer ride was a big selling point vs Rubicon.

What is the difference in the JK handles, are they that different?

Also agreed on lifts, I'm not a huge fan of big lifts and all the issues that can come with it + Mojave suspension, so the 2" AEV spacer setup seems perfect without getting too crazy.

I'm a car guy so lower to the ground the better but still being able to drive over things haha.

OP
OP
VolatileA

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
Usually the number 1 thing is a lift but not with the Mojave

You need wheels with a negative offset
35" MTs (or 37s)
Sun shade for when the top is off
Phone mount (I like the Bulletpoint)
Steel stubby bumper
Winch
Lights if you have any cash left over

Did you get the aux switches?
Are you saying I'll need wheels with negative offset with the AEV 2" on the Mojave?

Bulletpoint mount is on the list, heard great things as well.

Yes on the aux switches, truck is pretty much fully loaded minus adaptive cruise.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
I can’t compare it to others, but it’s perfect for me. The best mod I’ve made. I have the 6MT and I just felt it was a little sluggish out the gate. The iDRIVE completely resolved that issue for me.

Sponsored

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
Hey everyone,

Excited to be part of the Jeep community!

I recently placed an order for my Sting-ray Gray Mojave, I loaded it out minus leather seats and adaptive cruise control.

Big thanks to everyone here who recommended the Gupton route, y'all the real MVP's.

From experience of the owners already, what are the "must have" mods or accessories to install on your Gladiator?

I know this can be subjective to your needs and use of the truck itself but let's just say from an overall everyday perspective with camping/adventure trips in the mix.

So far I'm instantly thinking about tires, AEV spacer kit, CAI, front bumper/bar, tint, bed rack, extra lights.

Thank you all!
Minimum of 37's!

OP
OP
VolatileA

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
Minimum of 37's!
Any specifically you recommend?

37's will likely not be a good fit on the factory wheels either I'm assuming, Black Rhinos seem to be the standard around here which are appealing.

Last edited:

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
What is the difference in the JK handles, are they that different?
JK handles have a button for your thumb with a fixed "loop" that you pull on with the remaining 4 fingers.
J108986?obj=car&wid=1200&hei=900&sharpen=1.jpg

JL/JT have the whole handle as a loop that pulls out to unlatch the door.
Nd9GcTKPGdOvauIDCWmDk75f43p1ynFbz50oapLZQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

Bears can operate the pull out "loop" style handle pretty easily, but can't press a button and pull simultaneously. Or maybe they can, but it takes time to figure out, and they're usually pretty lazy. There's another trashcan somewhere nearby. They can get through soft tops too if there's something really great smelling inside and the doors are locked... One of those decisions you have to make sometimes... Take the doors off, and maybe they'll just get it muddy and put some claws through the upholstery? The real answer is to never allow food in the car, and keep the doors locked. But that's pretty bear-country specific.

Also agreed on lifts, I'm not a huge fan of big lifts and all the issues that can come with it + Mojave suspension, so the 2" AEV spacer setup seems perfect without getting too crazy.
I've spent some serious bucks with AEV in the past, but I'm not sure spacers are something I'd pay that premium for. At least not if that's all they are. I haven't looked to see if there's anything more substantial than the usual spacers.

JTSchnell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Mojave
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Mud flaps. I drove around for 2 weeks in my Willys after I bought it and immediately realized I was going to lose a lot of paint after our sandy and salty slush winters with the MT tires. I may even try to find some black JL or Jk take offs and put ATs on for winter driving. Really would like the truck to not start disintegrating at least for a good 5 years if I can help it.
I agree. I thought I wouldn't need mud flaps but got tired of cleaning tar of my rear fender.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VolatileA

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
JK handles have a button for your thumb with a fixed "loop" that you pull on with the remaining 4 fingers.
Jeep Gladiator What are the "MUST HAVE" mods after buying your Gladiator? ($5,000 starting budget) Nd9GcTKPGdOvauIDCWmDk75f43p1ynFbz50oapLZQ&usqp=CAU

JL/JT have the whole handle as a loop that pulls out to unlatch the door.
Jeep Gladiator What are the "MUST HAVE" mods after buying your Gladiator? ($5,000 starting budget) Nd9GcTKPGdOvauIDCWmDk75f43p1ynFbz50oapLZQ&usqp=CAU

Bears can operate the pull out "loop" style handle pretty easily, but can't press a button and pull simultaneously. Or maybe they can, but it takes time to figure out, and they're usually pretty lazy. There's another trashcan somewhere nearby. They can get through soft tops too if there's something really great smelling inside and the doors are locked... One of those decisions you have to make sometimes... Take the doors off, and maybe they'll just get it muddy and put some claws through the upholstery? The real answer is to never allow food in the car, and keep the doors locked. But that's pretty bear-country specific.

I've spent some serious bucks with AEV in the past, but I'm not sure spacers are something I'd pay that premium for. At least not if that's all they are. I haven't looked to see if there's anything more substantial than the usual spacers.
I see what you mean now on the handle changes, that makes sense.

I prefer the older as well just based on looks and similar to Gwagen.

Thankfully shouldn't have many issues with bears, maybe once per year when traveling.

AEV seems like the go-to for Mojave's from what I've seen.

OP
OP
VolatileA

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V

gmcul8r

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1963 IH Scout
Occupation
Buyer
To each their own, but here is what I added immediately after purchase on my JTM.

- Pedal Commander
- Tazer
- Phone Mount
- Hard Bed Cover
- 35" tires
- CMM Offroad Side Mirrors
- Hardtop Hoist

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Save your money on the CAI unless you're ready to go all the way. The CAI alone will net you nothing but lost money. Getting a tuner, CAI, and aftermarket exhaust will gain you some ponies and better fuel mileage IF you keep off the skinny pedal.

All in the above items are $3,000 +/-
Sponsored