First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland/BMW X2
Occupation
International Logistics
The $100 deposit is sent to Ford & applied / used at a dealer of your choice. Base list prices for each model are available & you can still negotiate a below invoice price or apply various plans. X plan for example. I was told first editions could arrive by December & ordered units next spring. First editions are sold out. Order banks will be opening soon.
Ford's website says available mid 2021 and Joe Public is not going to get under MSRP. I have a fleet sales buddy in a SoCal dealership and he's just licking his chops and telling me the ADM is going to make his year.
Sponsored

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Jeep spent my money for me, when they didn't give me any engine options, or I would have gone with a 5.7 Hemi (if it was the only upgrade option), or definitely gone with a 6.4 Hemi (if it had also been offered). The Ford 5.0 Coyote engine is one of the lightest V8's on the market...It's an all-alumunim steel-sleeved engine, with aluminum heads and forged internals. Not only is it one of the lightest V8 engines on the market, but also the strongest factory-offered mass-production engine (as far as adding aftermarket power upgrades) that is being offered. It has been proven reliable at over 800+ RWHP with turbos and superchargers...And in some cases has handled over 1,500 RWHP for many passes down the track and on the dynos. And comes stock with 460 HP and 420 ft.lbs. of torque. I've owned 2 of them in Mustang GT Performance Packs (2012 & 2017) brand new off the lot. And the 5.0 Coyote engine weighs in at 444 lbs. with ALL the accessory-drive attached (complete crate, ready to drop-in). The 2.7L EcoBoost with the turbo assembly is 440 lbs. The 3.5 EcoBoost is 449 lbs. So, you can't say that it's lighter in weight... 4 pounds is still single-digit difference. The truck will never notice that.

Ford's numbers don't lie... The V6 and EcoBoost are still behind on performance and capabilities. You just truly can't make a V6 do what a V8 of equal build can do... Physics are physics. It's missing 2 of the cylinders.

Hell, the 5.0 V8 gasser is even beating-out the 3.0L PSD turbo-diesel V6 in payload...Only by 200 lbs. but still... A "W" is still a "W".

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 7.11.58 PM.png
You forgot to include the 3.5 EcoBoost figures? A Max Tow 3.5 F 150 will flat out embarrass the 5.0 at everything.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Ford's website says available mid 2021 and Joe Public is not going to get under MSRP. I have a fleet sales buddy in a SoCal dealership and he's just licking his chops and telling me the ADM is going to make his year.
X plan is easy to get & will get you under invoice.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot to include the 3.5 EcoBoost figures? A Max Tow 3.5 F 150 will flat out embarrass the 5.0 at everything.
It has the same HP, but it does have more torque. I will give it that.

Now, that being said, you turn the tables a bit, and EcoBoost a 5.0 engine....See where you're at then... The V8 will still stomp it like a bug.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
HAHAHA Yeah right... I've test-driven both. It won't. Slightly quicker and torquer acceleration, but that's about it. That's to be expected from forced-induction.
I've owned both. The 5.0 is a turd in the truck IMO. Great mustang engine but weak in the truck. Now for a truck engine I love the 7.3 gas engine in my f-350. I would love to see that in the F-150 also.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant

Now, that being said, you turn the tables a bit, and EcoBoost a 5.0 engine....See where you're at then... The V8 will still stomp it like a bug.
Boom! I was really surprised when Ford released the 7.3 rather than an ecoboost V8. I have a suspicion that it is because an ecoboost V8 would perform too close or better than the $10k option 6.7 Powerstroke.
My argument is not that the V6 is better than the V8, it is that, in midsize trucks and SUVs a V8 is impractical and not necessary. If a V6 was better then the NHRA would have figured that out by now.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
X plan is easy to get & will get you under invoice.
X-plan is voluntary for the dealership. So they do not have to honor it until demand drops. One of my friends owns a Ford dealership in Georgia. He is a friend and my daughter and his son are dating. So as long as she can keep it together I will get a good deal. I am currently working on a GT500 so if I get that I will probably have to wait on the Bronco.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
Physics are physics and the number of cylinders has absolutely no bearing on the power output. The power output is a direct calculation of energy in-efficiency losses. In theory two engines of the same design, one a V8 and one a V6 the V8 will have approximately 33% more efficiency loss. But in practice it is usually higher than that. By taking a smaller engine and force feeding it energy(O2) you can create more power more efficiently. Back in the day there was an old saying that “there is no replacement for displacement,” and back in the day it was 100% true. But today it isn’t true anymore.
My only concern is longevity and complexity. Not a stranger to forced induction and big powa, but there is a negative long term. Plus I think NA engines are just smoother. Right now we’re seeing a lot of small displacement turbo engines having issues. The early Ecoboosts did as well. Seems like they may have figured it out? But there’s a reason Toyota retains its value so well. Simple, NA, smooth, and reliable drivetrains.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Every single over the road truck, train, heavy machinery runs a turbo setup. The only difference is the fuel and the addition of a spark plug. Ecoboost engines are no more complicated or any less reliable than the turbo Diesel engines. Diesel still lasts longer because of reduced rpm but I bet if we calculated total rpm life then we would have similar results.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Forget the engine... am I the only one to notice the HALF DOORS and removable rear glass window? That is the biggest best news if it’s true!

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Didn't feel like reading all the way through but I do think it is kinda sad that Jeep would publish commercial for a concept vehicle that you cannot even have trying to steal attention from the Bronco that you really can buy. If they so choose Ford could go up to the 3.5 ecoboost and get more torque than the 6.4 discussed here and not have to make any changes hardly at all. I used to be a V8 guy but new technology has made them all but obsolete in most circumstances. As far as my Gladiator goes the only changes I think it needs is the 4wd Auto mode, heated AND cooled seats and maybe the diesel. I will not sell my Gladiator for a Bronco but I did reserve a Bronco. I tried to get a "First Edition" to stable up next to the "Launch Edition" but I was too slow.
They won’t be delivering broncos until April or may. Plenty of Time to get the v8 out

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Boom! I was really surprised when Ford released the 7.3 rather than an ecoboost V8. I have a suspicion that it is b
They won’t be delivering broncos until April or may. Plenty of Time to get the v8 out
I agree. Plenty of time for FCA to dump another 1/2 engineered product on the market.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Jeep spent my money for me, when they didn't give me any engine options, or I would have gone with a 5.7 Hemi (if it was the only upgrade option), or definitely gone with a 6.4 Hemi (if it had also been offered). The Ford 5.0 Coyote engine is one of the lightest V8's on the market...It's an all-alumunim steel-sleeved engine, with aluminum heads and forged internals. Not only is it one of the lightest V8 engines on the market, but also the strongest factory-offered mass-production engine (as far as adding aftermarket power upgrades) that is being offered. It has been proven reliable at over 800+ RWHP with turbos and superchargers...And in some cases has handled over 1,500 RWHP for many passes down the track and on the dynos. And comes stock with 460 HP and 420 ft.lbs. of torque. I've owned 2 of them in Mustang GT Performance Packs (2012 & 2017) brand new off the lot. And the 5.0 Coyote engine weighs in at 444 lbs. with ALL the accessory-drive attached (complete crate, ready to drop-in). The 2.7L EcoBoost with the turbo assembly is 440 lbs. The 3.5 EcoBoost is 449 lbs. So, you can't say that it's lighter in weight... 4 pounds is still single-digit difference. The truck will never notice that.

Ford's numbers don't lie... The V6 and EcoBoost are still behind on performance and capabilities. You just truly can't make a V6 do what a V8 of equal build can do... Physics are physics. It's missing 2 of the cylinders.

Hell, the 5.0 V8 gasser is even beating-out the 3.0L PSD turbo-diesel V6 in payload...Only by 200 lbs. but still... A "W" is still a "W".

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 7.11.58 PM.png
That chart's a bit misleading because the diesel isn't available on the single cab long chassis whereas the V8 is. That chassis has the best payload just by design. The V8 still does better but it's only a ~400lb difference on similar chassis which is less than the difference in weight between the two engines. That diesel is like 900lbs.

The 3.5L Eco and 5.0L are almost identical in ratings across the line except that the 3.5L has 20% more torque that comes on 1k sooner in part of the range you'll actually use. I've driven both with a 12k trailer and it's not even close - the 3.5L is a better engine in every regard.

You are right that you can't replace displacement with equal builds but these aren't equal builds. Unless someone suddenly decides to put a turbo on their 8 cylinder gas engine, the turbo 6 is going to be king.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

But there isn't an Eco V8 so why argue the hypothetical? Nobody cares what can be the best, all that matters is what is.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
But there isn't an Eco V8 so why argue the hypothetical? Nobody cares what can be the best, all that matters is what is.
A V8 Wrangler / Gladiator is hypothetical correct? What is... Unless the Jeep brand is bought out I don't see it ever having the engineering to be best in the V8 truck or SUV market. Nothing in the FCA parts bin is exciting or cutting edge.
Sponsored