Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
A V8 Wrangler / Gladiator is hypothetical correct? What is... Unless the Jeep brand is bought out I don't see it ever having the engineering to be best in the V8 truck or SUV market. Nothing in the FCA parts bin is exciting or cutting edge.
At this moment? Absolutely. I personally don't think Jeep will bring a mass-produced V8 to market but they might do a loaded special edition people will pay upwards of $80k or more for.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised but where Ford has the advantage is the tiers of proven engine options with several years in production. Toyota has the 3.5L, 4.6L, and 5.7L. Jeep has the 3.6L and the 5.7L... even ignoring the 3.3L that has the same numbers as the Pentastar, Ford has the 2.3L, 2.7L, 3.5L, and 5.0L they can lean on and all are built light enough to be a standard-issue mid-size truck engine. I don't see Jeep making the 5.7L that standard option any more than I expect Toyota to drop the 4.6L in the 4Runner again.
Sponsored

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
At this moment? Absolutely. I personally don't think Jeep will bring a mass-produced V8 to market but they might do a loaded special edition people will pay upwards of $80k or more for.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised but where Ford has the advantage is the tiers of proven engine options with several years in production. Toyota has the 3.5L, 4.6L, and 5.7L. Jeep has the 3.6L and the 5.7L... even ignoring the 3.3L that has the same numbers as the Pentastar, Ford has the 2.3L, 2.7L, 3.5L, and 5.0L they can lean on and all are built light enough to be a standard-issue mid-size truck engine. I don't see Jeep making the 5.7L that standard option any more than I expect Toyota to drop the 4.6L in the 4Runner again.
FCA also has the 6.2 and 6.4, which have been out for several years. The 392 is the 6.4L. Thus Jeep has access to it. I would love a Hellcat Wrangler. Nom nom.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

And don't forget Ford's 7.3 V8 gas engine that is physically smaller than the 5.0 and could be packaged into just about anything. My pick for Jeep would be the 5.7 Hemi and see no reason why it can not be a small cost upgrade on a Max tow or Oveland Gladiator. I like the lightweight V6 in the Rubicon for it's intended use. A factory supercharged version would be pretty cool on a upscale Rubicon.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
And don't forget Ford's 7.3 V8 gas engine that is physically smaller than the 5.0 and could be packaged into just about anything. My pick for Jeep would be the 5.7 Hemi and see no reason why it can not be a small cost upgrade on a Max tow or Oveland Gladiator. I like the lightweight V6 in the Rubicon for it's intended use. A factory supercharged version would be pretty cool on a upscale Rubicon.
FCA also has the 6.2 and 6.4, which have been out for several years. The 392 is the 6.4L. Thus Jeep has access to it. I would love a Hellcat Wrangler. Nom nom.
I'm just listing options that are practical and realistic for a mid-size in mass production. There's obviously more but only Ford has a full portfolio of options that fit the segment.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The 6.4 /392 is probably what will end up being used. It will read good in the press releases & the engineers will just apply maximum torque management to keep the rest of the Jeep alive. Should be easy to keep it around the diesel torque numbers.

Sponsored

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Insider rumor is that this is going to production and that 30 prototypes have already been built. I got this second hand from a fella on my local board - the same guy who passed info more than a month ago that this announcement would be made. Still, what I'm saying is a rumor...

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
The 6.4 /392 is probably what will end up being used. It will read good in the press releases & the engineers will just apply maximum torque management to keep the rest of the Jeep alive. Should be easy to keep it around the diesel torque numbers.
6.4 would be good enough for me. But could you imagine a WranglerHawk (copyright pending)?! Then again that probably would be a wee bit dangerous running around naked. Still would be pretty cool embarrassing a Stang at a stoplight hehe.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Why not a 5.7 Rubicon, given the Class-IV tow package on a Rubi means the exact same upgrades as the Max Tow, just with a slightly lower tow rating? A Rubi tow package model is essentially the same vehicle, but with extra gadgets.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Why not a 5.7 Rubicon, given the Class-IV tow package on a Rubi means the exact same upgrades as the Max Tow, just with a slightly lower tow rating? A Rubi tow package model is essentially the same vehicle, but with extra gadgets.
A 5.7 Rubicon would be a cool mall crawler but for the original intended purpose of the vehicle I think the lighter V6 is a better match. A 5.7 max tow or 5.7 plush Overland just seem right.

Sponsored

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
I agree. Plenty of time for FCA to dump another 1/2 engineered product on the market.
please dont buy it ! , Sell your jeep get yourself a Toyota or a Honda ridgeline or better yet a new Bronco. You're not a jeep person. You still won't be happy with any of them but at least you won't be here complaining.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
please dont buy it ! , Sell your jeep get yourself a Toyota or a Honda ridgeline or better yet a new Bronco. You're not a jeep person. You still won't be happy with any of them but at least you won't be here complaining.
I have had plenty of Jeeps and just about everything else in the FCA lineup. I know quality & lack of when I get it. So far the Gladiator & my other jeeps have been good. Sorry I'm not a fan boy, drink the cool aid & accept crappy FCA corporate b.s. And yes I plan on getting a Bronco for the wife.

floydian8834

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 jku
Everyone's talking about the engine and I'm over here still praying the half doors come back, I've been holding out cause i kicked myself for not getting them with my jk, I wish they would stop teasing and leaving us in the dark over the half doors...

No IFS

First Name
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Banned
Heres the good news. If Jeep makes any V8 Wranglers and they are 50 state legal that will make Hemi V8 swaps legal in California. In the early 90s when Chevrolet put the 454 in a 1/2 ton pick up SS. It made motor swaps much easier here in California