Sponsored

Upgrading Overland (Rubicon Takeoffs or MOPAR 2”)

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
I'm planning on doing the Rubi + Teraflex front + Daystar rear before I put 35's on. Do you really need to do the below steps? I've never read anywhere on this site that it was a requirement to do this combo for the lift (not saying it's wrong, I'd like to understand why they're needed):

$78 - rear bump stops from Mopar lift (68316588AA)
$93 - end links from Mopar lift (68306981AA and 68436812AA)
$61 - lower control arms from Mopar lift (68322798AA)
$118 - shock extensions from Rusty's offroad (Front - $59, Rear $59)
Saying what is "required" can be somewhat subjective. The best I can offer is a mention of why each may be needed and then you can decide what's best for your application. While the exact components vary by lift kit brand, most kits include these items. So when piecing together your own lift components, you may want to consider these items.

Bump stops are used to limit up travel. Some coil springs can be damaged by completely collapsing the spring, and it helps keep larger tires from hitting the fenders. If you never go off-road and fully flex the suspension, then you could probably get away with not using them.

To keep the proper angle between the sway bar and the end links, the end links need to be extended when the suspension height is changed. If the end links are too short, the sway bar ends are pulled downward at ride height. If they are too short it can also limit down travel in the suspension droop. If the end links are the limiting factor in droop, the weight of the axle is hanging by the end link, and could damage the sway bar mounting points.

As you lift the Jeep, you lose steering caster. One way to get the caster back into spec is by using longer lower control arms. The Mopar kit uses fixed length control arms when can be had very inexpensively. Or you can use adjustable LCA's, which are more expensive but are typically strong and adjustable.

If you install a lift but use the stock length shocks, you are limiting your suspension droop. You can either install new longer shocks (such as the Fox 2.0 shocks that come in Mopar kit) or you can use shock extensions with the stock shocks.

So in many ways what is "required" depends on how you use your Jeep and what you're willing to tolerate in terms of handling changes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
@Scruf - thank you very much for taking the time to explain. Looks like I have some planning to do other than just buying spacers. I'm wanting to make room for 35's, and most of my driving will be on pavement, with an offroad camping trip every so often.

dcjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Thinking to lift my Overland a bit and will eventually be running 35’s and I’m unsure on the pros/cons of either of these setups. Also I would like the front and rear to be somewhat level and would like to know if I’d need a leveling kit with either of these setups. Thanks in advance!
You can run with 35's on an Overland without a lift if you aren't looking to do some extreme off-roading. Below is with 35's and no lift. Note the stock wheels/tires are in the bed so it looks somewhat level.
Jeep Gladiator Upgrading Overland (Rubicon Takeoffs or MOPAR 2”) KO2s Installed

This is after I installed the Mopar 2" inch (fortunate enough to find it complete on this forum for sale). Still looks fairly level, although this was right after a put the lift on. There is probably a little settling at this point. I attribute the "fairly level" look to having a full size tire/wheel in the spare well instead of the spare that came with the Overland.
Jeep Gladiator Upgrading Overland (Rubicon Takeoffs or MOPAR 2”) KO2s & Lift

Good luck and remember to have a torque wrench that can go up to 200 lb/ft.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 2 inch Mopar lift and Mopar performance wheels with 37 inch tires and i like the raked look.

Bruce

IMG_9044.JPG

Stark25

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 overland
Occupation
Electrician supervisor
I went with the 2 inch Mopar lift and Mopar performance wheels with 37 inch tires and i like the raked look.

Bruce

IMG_9044.JPG

This looks great! I also like the factory raked look. I plan to occasionally have the bed loaded down or a small trailer and don’t want to be looking up. Just ordered my 2” mopar lift today. I’m still trying to make my mind up on wheels and tires leaning heavily Towards 37s. Are you on all stock overland suspension and gears + 2” Mopar lift? Any scrubbing or rubbing with the 37s and how do the 37s do around town and on the highway with 3.75 gears? I’m planning to re gear eventually maybe 4-5 months but I can’t wait until then to ditch the stock look and don’t want to buy tires twice.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I have a new +2.5" kit from Clayton going on my Overland in 2 weeks. A bit more basic than their current offerings but enough to do what you want and the flexibility for future changes without swapping everything back out.

Clayton is very highly regarded for Jeep suspensions. This kit is not for sale yet, testing it out. Stay tuned.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
This looks great! I also like the factory raked look. I plan to occasionally have the bed loaded down or a small trailer and don’t want to be looking up. Just ordered my 2” mopar lift today. I’m still trying to make my mind up on wheels and tires leaning heavily Towards 37s. Are you on all stock overland suspension and gears + 2” Mopar lift? Any scrubbing or rubbing with the 37s and how do the 37s do around town and on the highway with 3.75 gears? I’m planning to re gear eventually maybe 4-5 months but I can’t wait until then to ditch the stock look and don’t want to buy tires twice.
All stock with the Mopar lift but the Moper Performance rims do have a bit more offset than factory wheels. no rubbing or any issues at full lock.

Bruce

beefcake

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Nurse
If you go with just the 2" MOPAR kit you should be just fine. However, if decide to go higher, even 3/4" then you will need additional items.

I very recently did the 2" MOPAR plus a 3/4" space in the front. I thought it would be good to go. I was very wrong. I ended up having to add an adjustable front track bar to center the axle and my caster was off due to the extra height. I fixed this with geometry correction brackets, but most people fix this with adjustable LCAs.

Also know that each truck is slightly different. While this is what worked for my truck you may have slightly different needs. An example of this is that I ordered and put on a Fox steering stabilizer with all of the above. I ended up taking that off and going back to stock because the Fox stabilizer was causing a slight right drift. For many others it doesn't do that.

Whatever you choose to do know that it is your truck and you do what you want. People on here will tell you many different methods and each one of them swear by their method. While I greatly appreciate their inputs I tend to mix and match to suit my personal needs.

Good luck and post pics!

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
^great points. I just did the Mopar lift as well and my adjustable track bar arrived yesterday (still have to put on after work today). I went Mopar because its Mopar and I fully knew I would be adding parts here and there. As beefcake mentioned, adjustable LCAs, UCAs, or relocation brackets will be needed if leveling on top of the lift. I will level when I go 35s so I am already planning on Rancho adjustable LCAs to match my Rancho adjustable track bar.

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m thinking about the Mopar 2” lift on my Overland and then adding 35s most likely, possibly 37s.

You guys noticed any downsides to the lift? Warranty concerns? Drive difference from stock Overland? Any other things to watch out for?

My Overland has good steering (at least I feel like it does) I have Rubicon takeoffs for Rims/Tires and really like the ride.

I wasn’t originally considering the lift as I don’t “need” it, but I think this forum is rubbing off on me and the Jeeps look so good a bit taller and with a bit more tire. Or maybe before I had the perfect Jeep, I didn’t realize I needed to change all those things they started with.

Sponsored

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North, Ducati Scrambler
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You can run with 35's on an Overland without a lift if you aren't looking to do some extreme off-roading. Below is with 35's and no lift. Note the stock wheels/tires are in the bed so it looks somewhat level.
Jeep Gladiator Upgrading Overland (Rubicon Takeoffs or MOPAR 2”) IMG_9044.JPG

This is after I installed the Mopar 2" inch (fortunate enough to find it complete on this forum for sale). Still looks fairly level, although this was right after a put the lift on. There is probably a little settling at this point. I attribute the "fairly level" look to having a full size tire/wheel in the spare well instead of the spare that came with the Overland.
Jeep Gladiator Upgrading Overland (Rubicon Takeoffs or MOPAR 2”) IMG_9044.JPG

Good luck and remember to have a torque wrench that can go up to 200 lb/ft.
Looks really good, got a black Overland about a month ago and trying to plan how much I can do.

Do you happen to know the height of the top from the ground? I don't have ton of clearance in the garage height wise and I'm trying to figure out if I can run the 2" mopar or only a level. I tried going through the official dimensions thread, but can't seem to find the finished height on an overland with the 2" lift and 35" tire. Would hate to do the work and no longer be able to use the garage.

dcjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks really good, got a black Overland about a month ago and trying to plan how much I can do.

Do you happen to know the height of the top from the ground? I don't have ton of clearance in the garage height wise and I'm trying to figure out if I can run the 2" mopar or only a level. I tried going through the official dimensions thread, but can't seem to find the finished height on an overland with the 2" lift and 35" tire. Would hate to do the work and no longer be able to use the garage.
I took some flat stock from work and placed it on the highest portion of the truck. I got 76 7/16" from the highest point to the ground. Hope this helps.

I hear ya on the garage job. I cleaned out my garage last summer to fit the car I had at the time. Bought the Jeep in February and it doesn't fit, not because of height but because of length...Well now I have a space to put all the kid's toys haha.

Jeepjeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I put Rubicon take offs and 1.5” Teraflex spacers up front on my Sport, looks and works great. I then added 4 Rubicon fenders, keeps getting better.

55990113-75B9-407F-ACD1-A9B97CF97B67.jpeg

B29D85FD-2AD3-4230-8703-49C333259D9A.jpeg

Bookem.Dano.Bookem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator North, Ducati Scrambler
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I took some flat stock from work and placed it on the highest portion of the truck. I got 76 7/16" from the highest point to the ground. Hope this helps.

I hear ya on the garage job. I cleaned out my garage last summer to fit the car I had at the time. Bought the Jeep in February and it doesn't fit, not because of height but because of length...Well now I have a space to put all the kid's toys haha.
Helps tremendously, only have 76" clear without making modifications to the garage door brackets.

Thank you.
Sponsored