Sponsored

Utilizing the fourth wire in the headlight connection on Gladiators that have it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my snow plow, I had to buy the wiring harness for the plow based on whether I had factory LED or factory halogen lights in my truck.
The plow lights are triggered by their harness that goes between the JT's factory harness connector and the back of the headlight. It piggybacks between light and factory harness.
Once I looked into the wiring and connectors on these trucks, I understood why Western cared and why their harnesses were specific based on original lighting.
Sponsored

OP
OP

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
When I bought my snow plow, I had to buy the wiring harness for the plow based on whether I had factory LED or factory halogen lights in my truck.
The plow lights are triggered by their harness that goes between the JT's factory harness connector and the back of the headlight. It piggybacks between light and factory harness.
Once I looked into the wiring and connectors on these trucks, I understood why Western cared and why their harnesses were specific based on original lighting.
Based on that, it would seem that on 21+ models, the LED harness would actually work.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Based on that, it would seem that on 21+ models, the LED harness would actually work.
Harness is identical on 21+ gassers, but you'd have to activate the 4th wire in the BCM. Diesels require a jumper harness, about a foot long on the passenger side. 2020s can either hack something together in the engine bay or run the wires to the BCM.

Last edited:

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Also, they have cooling fans that you can hear running if you listen closely.
I had a set of LED headlights with active cooling (a small high-rpm fan,) and after about a year the fans started making obvious noises when cold. Once they warmed up, they’d quiet down.
I replaced them before they quit completely.
Just an FYI.

Kevin

OP
OP

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I had a set of LED headlights with active cooling (a small high-rpm fan,) and after about a year the fans started making obvious noises when cold. Once they warmed up, they’d quiet down.
I replaced them before they quit completely.
Just an FYI.

Kevin
I hear you. But I have run LED bulbs with exposed fans and never had a fan failure. I think it will depend on the quality of the component and how well the enclosure is engineered. Time will tell.

When I ordered them, I did not see any mention of a fan for cooling. It was stated as built in heat dissipation.

Additionally, I feel the poor cooling is why the Kiwi lights were failing After only 6 mos. I don’t know that for sure though.

I should also note that by using the signature lighting feed, the lights come on with the unlock button. Here is a video(used a filter to dim the video so you could see the sequence better)

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
If you look at your headlight connector, at the headlight, there should be a brown wire that isn’t pinned on the aftermarket headlight side.

I used this connection to power the Halos. In my case, the aftermarket headlight had a harness adapter between the headlight and the existing car harness. This harness adapter is where the leads for the Halo and Turn signal connections existed on the headlights I installed. Yours may be different. So, I just added the pin on the adapter side.
Thanks for this info! I’m trying to install these same headlights and running into problems with the halo functioning. How do you add the pin on the headlight adapter side? I used a tee harness from Amazon that is identical to Quadratec’s, connected it to the turn signal harness in the fender, and then ran the wire from the harness to connect to the DRL and Turn signal connections on the headlight harness. But I can’t get the halo functions to work. Any thoughts?

OP
OP

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I did not have to add the pin. It was already present. I just had to connect the lead from the new headlight to that pin location on the harness from the new headlight.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Thanks for this info! I’m trying to install these same headlights and running into problems with the halo functioning. How do you add the pin on the headlight adapter side? I used a tee harness from Amazon that is identical to Quadratec’s, connected it to the turn signal harness in the fender, and then ran the wire from the harness to connect to the DRL and Turn signal connections on the headlight harness. But I can’t get the halo functions to work. Any thoughts?
If you bought a harness that is identical to quadratec, it does not have the drl wired. It has turn and parking.
Quadratec does have a video on youtube that shows how to splice into the drl of that harness. I think it's a video for a fancy expensive headlight.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I did not have to add the pin. It was already present. I just had to connect the lead from the new headlight to that pin location on the harness from the new headlight.
Oh, okay. Yeah, my harness that came with the headlight only has 3 pins on the side that connects to the factory harness. Thanks for the help.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
If you bought a harness that is identical to quadratec, it does not have the drl wired. It has turn and parking.
Quadratec does have a video on youtube that shows how to splice into the drl of that harness. I think it's a video for a fancy expensive headlight.
That video is actually why I bought the harness. I did the splice, but it’s for the turn signal. It has a pigtail for the DRL. I have it all connected up correctly (per the video and instructions) but can’t seem to get the halo function to work, even after turning it in with the tazer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Oh, okay. Yeah, my harness that came with the headlight only has 3 pins on the side that connects to the factory harness. Thanks for the help.
Sorry, I actually added the pin to the harness coming from the new headlight and connected the DRL feed from the new headlight to it. I had a pin from another harness I had laying around.

in other words, the OEM connection has all four wires and I added a pin to the aftermarket harness that matched the location of the fourth wire on the OEM harness.

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
Fyi .. if anybody only has the three wires and is looking to add the fourth, the Mopar kit to do so is 68347117AB. Basically, its a short harness that you route through the firewall on the passenger side, push in pins 5 & 7 on BCM Connector C1 and then you have the two lengths of wire to reach the two headlight harnesses to add those two pins.

Jeep Gladiator Utilizing the fourth wire in the headlight connection on Gladiators that have it. e7aabea838e62e80b9e06f0d25680862

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
That video is actually why I bought the harness. I did the splice, but it’s for the turn signal. It has a pigtail for the DRL. I have it all connected up correctly (per the video and instructions) but can’t seem to get the halo function to work, even after turning it in with the tazer.
You are correct. My old man mind remembered it incorrectly. Thanks.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
does someone know which type of pin to crimp onto the aftermarket halo wires that will insert into the aftermarket plugs and will marry to the factory pin? Also male or female if you remember. Will save me having to look before ordering.

Thanks

loganjeeps

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 96 Chevy 3500, 89 XJ (project)
does someone know which type of pin to crimp onto the aftermarket halo wires that will insert into the aftermarket plugs and will marry to the factory pin? Also male or female if you remember. Will save me having to look before ordering.

Thanks
also interested in know this part. i want to wire into my halos to activate halos on my hella celis lights on the bumper but i can't bear the idea of breaking into the wiring sheathing directly.
Sponsored