Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
So it looks like the OP updated his post with a video and pics this morning. The video shows the JT that is a lot cleaner than the one on the tow truck. Looks like you had fun, but....
I could just imagine what the service guys were saying when the jeep showed up at the dealership.

Did the mud frolics cause issues? Maybe, maybe not. But when a JT shows up at a dealer covered with muddy water, most dealers will assume it was caused by owner abuse.

Next time, a stop at a hand held carwash bay before it is transported to the dealer may be a good idea
Sponsored

Last edited:

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
What is with all the negativity here???

He bought a JEEP (FFS) ... A JEEP! It is made to go off-road, and spoiler alert, there is MUD OFF-ROAD! I'm sorry, but if going through mud stops the alternator from working and/or causes other issues, then it IS a warranty issue, as the JEEP was not designed for purpose!

OP - get a lawyer and get this sorted ASAP. As others have said, document every commination (date, time, person spoken to, gist of the conversation).
Let's be serious here... There's a big difference between what a vehicle is capable of and what the manufacturer is liable for under warranty. At some point you have to admit you're taking on a risk and own up to it when that risk fucks you.

OEMs sell and warranty vehicles as transportation and the standard has been long set that labels like "Jeep" and "TRD Off-Road" do not imply that they are liable if you decide to use the vehicle's full capability.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Looking at the video and photos I would think the Jeep could handle it without issue. I guess if you do it enough the mud builds up and causes issues.

If I saw that mud puddle, I would smash through it in my Gladiator. Maybe not more than once or twice.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
So it looks like the OP updated his post with a video and pics this morning. The video shows the JT that is a lot cleaner than the one on the tow truck. Looks like you had fun, but....
I could just imagine with the service guys were saying when the jeep showed up at the dealership.

Did the mud frolics cause issues? Maybe, maybe not. But when a JT shows up at a dealer covered with muddy water, most dealers will assume it was caused by owner abuse.

Next time, a stop at a hand held carwash bay before it is transported to the dealer may be a good idea
Agreed. End pic looks way more muddy than video.

Look at my pic on p.2 That was after 2-3 passes along a parking lot along the river with a few inches of mud on a flat surface. Still covered entirely in mud. And I drove it to a car wash to clear out the grill immediately. But I then drove a couple days wearing the mud as pride. There WAS some vapor coming out the front of the grill after I washed it, I panicked. Took it to the dealership, tech admired it and said it was fine, just mud from the back end heating up. Getting mud from BEHIND the radiator grill is not exactly easy, but it's been fine for the last 20k+ miles. I suspect the mud has caused more damage to breaks joints and bearings than it has to the engine. I do spray out the engine bay when I wash it. I don't pressure wash it like the tech said to (can pressure wash, just don't point the nozzle point blank at stuff), instead using the spot-free rinse option and few extra quarters.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've killed a alternator in 3 weeks with muddy water of Ocala FL swamp muck. So I'm understanding the dealership on that part to a degree. Now the rest of the story would help. Now if I have to take mine to a dealership for any work I damn well will choose the one. I might have to pay a little more for it but it's worth it. "With the exception of I'm not near home. " Now if you have to go with the legal system good luck, find the most hungry to make a name lawyer you can and sic them on the first Stealership "that tagged your warranty" hard for everything to include mental stress and suffering.... Might not win but make it as painful as possible to them.

A few things that I try to live by though I don't risk my D.D. that's got to get me to work and I bought my 4wheeler for playing in mud cheaper to fix or replace and it's easier to trailer home.
This warranty flagging seem to be a hot point in some cases. I can see, for example, if you bury the thing in 2 feet of mud and really screw up things like alternator, or whatever, but rear axle? Really? Those are made to be into water up to 30" (and of course with taller tires, you're not going to get to that 30" mark as easily) So flagging a rear axle for being in mud? No way. These are also KNOWN to have rear axle locker problems - just as the half dozen or MORE forum members who have had theirs indicate it was locked going down the highway - and after no abuse or heavy use. Some had it happen and never even stressed the truck.
Let 'em charge me for the alternator - I get that (auto electric, restoration, charging systems, sort of my specialty lately)
Still - mud and water eventually get worked out of alternators unless it got some chunks or sand and grit in there. I won't even consider judging their action on the alternator without seeing it. I've seen some really messed up alternators.
One I did recently I had trouble getting the through-bolts out because - get this - mud and sand had hardened inside...........
You can NOT close these off or seal them up. They need an incredible amount of AIR FLOW, air moving fast through them, to prevent over-heating the diodes and stator. They must run in open air. Especially when you are expecting 200 amps out of a unit that is smaller than 80 amp units used to be!

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Lot's of replies here saying "Get a lawyer".

Let's say I was a company that makes enthusiast vehicles. For fun, let's call this company "JEEP". I make a lot of money, and deal with quite a few transactions. Over the years, I've had more than a few people come into a dealership with abusive damage. Due to this experience, I craft - let's call it all the paperwork ever associated with the terms of warranty and use-- and make you sign it.

Let's say I also employ employees -- let's call them "lawyers"-- whose sole job is to litigate claims arising from alleged breaches of contract. Let's say I also have someone monitor a few enthusiast boards, social media, etc. looking for evidence of things that might help my company. Perhaps acquire evidence of particularly loud individual's admission of potential abuse.

There's no money to be made in a lawsuit for specific enforcement of a warranty claim. So, a lawyer will likely charge you a retainer. Lawyers aren't cheap. Some states, such as California, might not even let you get a lawyer if the claim is less than $7,5k. Jeep of course, needs a representative in court. I suppose I might send my lawyer to represent my company, as I have a right to do.

Is it beginning to sound like an uphill battle?

Lawyers are not magicians. I should know. I am one- in this state. And you'll lose. I have a finite amount of victories I've achieved by bare knuckles litigation. Conversely, my many successes are due to negotiation skill. I'm not even a great negotiator. I just try and be nice and persuasive at the right moments.

This whole thing seems like it can be sorted out by speaking to the right people. That would be my advice. Persistence is also key. Some people call it nagging. :)

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at the TV Ads for all Jeeps. I have included a Jeep TV ad from 2017 where the jeep is flying through mud. Note the verbiage "Today was made for adventure". That ain't whipped cream that Jeep is going through. Take that asshole dealership on an adventure through Superior Court. I bought mine in Glendale and the first time I get this type of crap off comes the gloves.

thumbnail.jpg

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Lot's of replies here saying "Get a lawyer".

Let's say I was a company that makes enthusiast vehicles. For fun, let's call this company "JEEP". I make a lot of money, and deal with quite a few transactions. Over the years, I've had more than a few people come into a dealership with abusive damage. Due to this experience, I craft - let's call it all the paperwork ever associated with the terms of warranty and use-- and make you sign it.

Let's say I also employ employees -- let's call them "lawyers"-- whose sole job is to litigate claims arising from alleged breaches of contract. Let's say I also have someone monitor a few enthusiast boards, social media, etc. looking for evidence of things that might help my company. Perhaps acquire evidence of particularly loud individual's admission of potential abuse.

There's no money to be made in a lawsuit for specific enforcement of a warranty claim. So, a lawyer will likely charge you a retainer. Lawyers aren't cheap. Some states, such as California, might not even let you get a lawyer if the claim is less than $7,5k. Jeep of course, needs a representative in court. I suppose I might send my lawyer to represent my company, as I have a right to do.

Is it beginning to sound like an uphill battle?

Lawyers are not magicians. I should know. I am one- in this state. And you'll lose. I have a finite amount of victories I've achieved by bare knuckles litigation. Conversely, my many successes are due to negotiation skill. I'm not even a great negotiator. I just try and be nice and persuasive at the right moments.

This whole thing seems like it can be sorted out by speaking to the right people. That would be my advice. Persistence is also key. Some people call it nagging. :)
There is no monitory minimum to having legal representation in a California Civil action. None whatsoever. Additonally, the attorney will ask for attorney fees and costs. This will not bring a smile to the folks at Jeep.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at the TV Ads for all Jeeps. I have included a Jeep TV ad from 2017 where the jeep is flying through mud. Note the verbiage "Today was made for adventure". That ain't whipped cream that Jeep is going through. Take that asshole dealership on an adventure through Superior Court. I bought mine in Glendale and the first time I get this type of crap off comes the gloves.

Jeep Gladiator VOIDED Factory Warranty after taking it through mud thumbnail
You can take your gloves off all you want, unless you got a good case and close to a billion in the bank your going lose a fight with FCA or any car manufacturer that go up against. Even if the rear locker sensor didn't come from the mud, which it probably didn't, burying it in mud and then having issues just gives FCA more leverage to not cover it. That ad don't mean crap in court, they can have commercials with anything they want in them, doesn't mean you should run it through mud and then mess something up and then cry about why your warranty didn't cover it. I guess if I climb up a rock while off road and flip mine over I can say dang FCA needs to cover this because I saw one doing it in a commercial and it didn't flip over, doesn't work like that for rational folks.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Russell Westbrook of Van Nuys...they are the WORST!! They are the ones that are responsible for putting the restriction on my ENTIRE factory warranty. Started off as just a restriction on my engine...then somewhere somehow they put it on the entire truck. Russel Westbrook were pissed when I said I was taking the truck to the dealership I bought the truck from.
I've heard that whole dealer group is a dumpster fire

My buddy is a surveyor and his company buys 4x4 Libertys and new Cherokees. He has to do light wheeling for work but since it's in the Sierras "light wheeling" is a different thing than most places. He's broken a few tranny pans and oil pans, and depending on which dealership he goes to for warranty repairs, sometimes they'll put that flag on and you're screwed forever

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can take your gloves off all you want, unless you got a good case and close to a billion in the bank your going lose a fight with FCA or any car manufacturer that go up against. Even if the rear locker sensor didn't come from the mud, which it probably didn't, burying it in mud and then having issues just gives FCA more leverage to not cover it. That ad don't mean crap in court, they can have commercials with anything they want in them, doesn't mean you should run it through mud and then mess something up and then cry about why your warranty didn't cover it. I guess if I climb up a rock while off road and flip mine over I can say dang FCA needs to cover this because I saw one doing it in a commercial and it didn't flip over, doesn't work like that for rational folks.
Now wait a minute - Chevrolet proved their truck boxes superior to Ford by dropping several hundred pounds of big rock into the boxes - are you suggesting I should not try that?
;-)

(as this is the internet, you'll have to look really close and really carefully to see my tongue in cheek, etc.)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This all reinforces my hatred of mud...I'll stick with rocks and sand
Don't even think about doing Iowa mud. I once got a large IH 4x4 TRACTOR stuck in the mud on a sidehill on my west 160. Took multiple log chains and other tractors a distance away to get it out.
Our mud is GREASY.
I looked but could not find photos of some of the worst alternators I've worked on. Maybe I didn't get pics - but the sand and mud that gets packed in and hardens almost like concrete, the burned slip rings, and those are from cars..........
Sponsored