Sponsored

Vs. 2024 ZR2... (Edit- Test Driven, opinions inside)

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Master Edit-- I have been talked out of it. :CWL:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a45434346/2024-chevy-colorado-zr2-test-drive/

Jeep Gladiator Vs. 2024 ZR2... (Edit- Test Driven, opinions inside) 1704848787553

What I like:

I can get this straight from the factory with rock rails, nice suspension, driving a vehicle it feels like I haven't been driving since 2013 (I've had 2 JKs and this gladiator); the engine is more powerful, looks cool, tows enough, IFS for daily driver and everything but rock crawling; not worrying about death wobble;

What I don't like:

2024 interest rates, making payments again, losing SAS for the rocks, less tow capacity; MPG isn't great; reliability of engine is unknown at this point; spending 3 years to fix death wobble only to trade for IFS; not a big Chevy fan; losing all the money I've spent in mods.

I like the reliability of my gladiator, but I don't like how it drives. I'm tired of it (sometimes). It tows well. It crawls well. It's done every single thing I've ever asked it to do. It is truly a jack of all trades. But 99% of the time, it's my daily driver, and it's a punishing one at that. I wouldn't call it fun to daily, at all. I'm on 37s, I'm regeared to 4.88s, and it's modded as far as it'll go. But I'm losing the spark.

Let's discuss.

Area of use: socal
Rockcrawling: yes, extreme trails
Towing: yes, 4k lb camper
Kids: yes x2

1/17/24 Edit--

So I was curious, and couldn't help myself. My local dealer is less than a mile so I went in for a few laps around the block. Overall, once again in life I'm reminded that the grass is never greener, and I'm grateful for what I have. Here are the key takeaways:

-The interior didn't feel "cheap" to me; It felt fine. The seats felt... fine. Material quality was fine. I wasn't wowed nor was I disappointed. It was simply different.

-The drive is what I was curious in, and once again-- it felt fine. Not amazingly compliant, not harsh. It wasn't fast/quick, and it wasn't slow. Off the line it didn't feel fast at all; it felt like a 4cyl truck. Once the turbo got there, it was faster than my gladiator for sure, but it wasn't the "upgrade" I was expecting to feel. The most important sensation for me is off the line torque and effortlessness of the acceleration, and it wasn't there for me.

-The suspension was nice, but also not the upgrade I was looking for. There were times when it was an upgrade to the gladiator, but then at other times it felt rougher than my gladiator. The weight balance was a bit off, and the rear end had a lot of chatter and skittering to it that is not present in the gladiator, but is present in other trucks I've owned. To be sure I naturally have more weight in the back of my gladiator (Bed cover, hard/thick rubber bedliner, 35" spare, metal bumper) so I'm not sure this is the fault of the ZR2.

-The rear seats' buttpad was a lot longer than the Jeeps'. My kids' legs would come off their booster seats and be at around a 45 degree perpendicular angle to the seat cushions, rather than hanging straight down. The rear seats felt cramped for this reason. I'm sure its comparable to the Gladiator's, but it felt cramped. The inability of the seats to fold down, nor easily up was a strange (read- not good) choice. Otherwise it was fine.

-The rear window seal was not glued on the bottom edges. I'm not sure if this makes a difference in the ability to keep water out, but dust will certainly get in there, and that "not finished right" defect made me wonder what else had their corners cut. The seal was noticeably raised off of the metal of the cab.

-Underneath, a ZR2 has NO proper skidplates. Bare gas tank, exposed plastic buttressing right at the break over, a thin aluminum "skid" in the front, and Russian-steel thin plate over the Xfer case. Woefully unprepared for any amount of time offroad. I know the AEV version fixes this, but for an extra 12k.

-My driving experience felt like I was in the cabin of a car, inside a truck-- if that makes sense. The shifter and middle tunnel rise up quite a bit. This isn't a "con", but the Jeep feels more trucklike inside, which I prefer.

-Manual T-case inspires a lot more confidence than the electric switches. This may be purely mental, but I just am not comfortable with the computer controlling the T-case so much.

-I liked the Chevy steering wheel, if just to be able to rest my entire 4 fingers on the bottom of the wheel and grip it lazily.

-The bedsides of the Chevy are very tall, as is the load floor. I believe it was actually higher up than my gladiator on 37s.

In sum, I'm glad I went for the test drive. The ZR2 is a perfectly fine truck for the price, but apparently I didn't give my Jeep enough credit. My gladiator, having driving them back to back, has a perfectly fine suspension. There is no chance I'm trading it in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a45434346/2024-chevy-colorado-zr2-test-drive/

Jeep Gladiator Vs. 2024 ZR2... (Edit- Test Driven, opinions inside) 1704848787553

What I like:

I can get this straight from the factory with rock rails, nice suspension, driving a vehicle it feels like I haven't been driving since 2013 (I've had 2 JKs and this gladiator); the engine is more powerful, looks cool, tows enough, IFS for daily driver and everything but rock crawling; not worrying about death wobble;

What I don't like:

2024 interest rates, making payments again, losing SAS for the rocks, less tow capacity; MPG isn't great; reliability of engine is unknown at this point; spending 3 years to fix death wobble only to trade for IFS; not a big Chevy fan; losing all the money I've spent in mods.

I like the reliability of my gladiator, but I don't like how it drives. I'm tired of it (sometimes). It tows well. It crawls well. It's done every single thing I've ever asked it to do. It is truly a jack of all trades. But 99% of the time, it's my daily driver, and it's a punishing one at that. I wouldn't call it fun to daily, at all. I'm on 37s, I'm regeared to 4.88s, and it's modded as far as it'll go. But I'm losing the spark.

Let's discuss.

Area of use: socal
Rockcrawling: yes, extreme trails
Towing: yes, 4k lb camper
Kids: yes x2
Solid axle, doors off, roof off.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Solid axle, doors off, roof off.
I would add a question. Why is it no fun to drive? I ask because mine on 37’s and highly modified drives wonderfully. It’ll be leaps and bounds better than it already is when my new shocks arrive.

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I came from Z71 Colorado (diesel) in March, to the Gladiator. No doubt the Colorado is a more comfortable road vehicle. I've also had a Blazer ZR2 back in the early 2000's, and a number of other GM vehicles.

GM electrical issues always pop up about 5 years in ...and get worse and worse. Every GM I've had. It's a 5-year and out vehicle, not one to keep for a decade.

They look cool, though. Can't blame you for switching.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I would add a question. Why is it no fun to drive? I ask because mine on 37’s and highly modified drives wonderfully. It’ll be leaps and bounds better than it already is when my new shocks arrive.
37s are lumbering, the engine is weak, and it's just a rough ride. Even on Synergy springs (huge improvement) and vertex shocks.

Regarding doors off, I never do it because it's a hassle. Same with the hardtop. I'd much rather have a power sunroof.

Kids are 5 and 7.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Jump on over to a diesel….

This is a really challenging topic. I mean rock crawler and daily driver with kids. LJ is #1 on my list….. gives you the wheel base you need, room for kids (ish) and can be built to the moon…

For your daily driver?? Buy a VW TDI 😎

Having lived just north of Mojave and rock crawling was literally a several times a week fun activity- just get a dedicated rig to go play in and a daily…. Trying to do both is going to leave you in awkward spots…. Either catching crap from your spouse over things being broken and can’t be driven daily, or it looses street manners because it’s awesome on the rocks.
🤷🏽‍♂️

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
37s are lumbering, the engine is weak, and it's just a rough ride. Even on Synergy springs (huge improvement) and vertex shocks.

Regarding doors off, I never do it because it's a hassle. Same with the hardtop. I'd much rather have a power sunroof.

Kids are 5 and 7.
It doesn’t sound like you like it, so no reason to argue. You did ask people to talk you out of it. :) Built in a way that prioritizes on road manners as much as off, these can be amazing. Mine is. 37’s, 3.5” lift front, 5” lift rear, replacement driveshafts, 5.13’s, rock slide steps, 8 teraflex adjustable control arms, and a hundred more things. It’s the most fun thing I’ve ever driven. And I drive it every day. And my kids are 7 and 8.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
If I didn't enjoy going out on the rocks as much as I do I would probably hop into a ZR2 for the same reasons. As a DD I imagine the ZR2 is going to be more comfortable. Once I get on the rocks I totally forget about my daily commute. Plus, the Jeep community/events are hard to beat. Starting to plan my 3rd EJS trip in Moab, can't wait, and can't get that type of event with the ZR2.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If I didn't enjoy going out on the rocks as much as I do I would probably hop into a ZR2 for the same reasons. As a DD I imagine the ZR2 is going to be more comfortable. Once I get on the rocks I totally forget about my daily commute. Plus, the Jeep community/events are hard to beat. Starting to plan my 3rd EJS trip in Moab, can't wait, and can't get that type of event with the ZR2.
I do love driving over rocks. It’s such a crazy feeling.

Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
zr2 will do fine on the rocks, watch some of the latest reviews on them. tbh it sounds like you made up your mind.

High Alextude

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland High Altitude
I like both. I’d probably be happy in either as long as it has a sunroof and is blue or Gobi. I’m not going to try and convince anyone to do anything anymore - just do what makes you happy. But please, for the love of God, just know there is no need to post a departure thread if you do leave 😂.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Literally the only thing the JT offers overs everything else it a removable roof and doors.

Now with the current pricing, is it really worth it.

70k JT vs. 50k Colorado with more power

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Sounds like you already have talked yourself 60% of the way in getting it. No need to ask people to talk you off the cliff if that is what you really want to do.

I get it about getting to the end of what you can take your current ride to and get the itch for something else.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Mojave, '23 GC Summit Reserve,'23 AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
What @Escape.idiocracy mentioned is something to think about. My Wrangler sucked as a daily driver for an over the 100 mile commute in DC area traffic, but I still liked it. I bought a Grand Cherokee in addition as a better daily driver and put more off-road stuff on the JLU. If you switch to the ZR2, you will take a huge hit, as you mentioned. Why not just get something cheap for a commuter and keep the Gladiator for escapes from the city. If you do decide to go with the ZR2, get the Bison pkg. Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored