Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
One point I made to Warn when I talked to them was that I spent more money to get a wireless winch.
Lower priced Evo winch comes with the wireless remote.
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Is there an Evo that isnā€™t a VR EVO?
I guess there's a vrz. My remote for the VR Evo 12s is wireless when I take the cord out of the remote.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Old school warn owner RC9000 not wireless, but the wireless optional wireless kit that works with any 5 wire corded remote, Warn part # 90287, just plugs into your cord connector, then you have a battery powered handheld remote to operate it. It is not the same as the recalled VR evo remote that you can unplug to make it wireless. I had one coming in the mail, ordered wrong part number by mistake from Summit Racing, but looked really quality and gasketed nice including a holster to carry it with or to mount it, replacement ($166.00) is on it's way. What am I missing, why could Warn not just send that kit out to people until they figure out the combo wireless/ corded remote. Better yet go to Harbor Freight or Amazon and get a knockoff for really cheap! I will have a corded remote for backup, and hopefully the wireless works as my main, and all three parts can sit in the glove box until needed. It does sound like Warn got caught off guard and has no real plan, having a dual purpose remote that is corded until you unplug it and then is wireless sounds cool, giving temporary remotes or $100 back not cool, perhaps I am totally clueless on the whole recall but at least I read it!.....jack

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Old school warn owner RC9000 not wireless, but the wireless optional wireless kit that works with any 5 wire corded remote, Warn part # 90287, just plugs into your cord connector, then you have a battery powered handheld remote to operate it. It is not the same as the recalled VR evo remote that you can unplug to make it wireless. I had one coming in the mail, ordered wrong part number by mistake from Summit Racing, but looked really quality and gasketed nice including a holster to carry it with or to mount it, replacement ($166.00) is on it's way. What am I missing, why could Warn not just send that kit out to people until they figure out the combo wireless/ corded remote. Better yet go to Harbor Freight or Amazon and get a knockoff for really cheap! I will have a corded remote for backup, and hopefully the wireless works as my main, and all three parts can sit in the glove box until needed. It does sound like Warn got caught off guard and has no real plan, having a dual purpose remote that is corded until you unplug it and then is wireless sounds cool, giving temporary remotes or $100 back not cool, perhaps I am totally clueless on the whole recall but at least I read it!.....jack
Doesn't fit. The VR EVO winches are completely different.

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
WHAT?! there's a recall on the hallowed Warn winch? the zombie apocalypse must be upon us. šŸ¤£šŸ™„

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Info can be found here-- https://www.warn.com/vr-evo-remote-info

Funny, my controller was never out in the wet weather and has only been used to spool/respool the line once and to check the winch functionality once a season, but it's showing a bit of corrosion on the battery pack!

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
ā€œCurrent VR EVO Owners - Upload proof of remote rework
VR EVO Owners Purchased After Jan 31, 2023 - Upload proof of purchase (receipt)
Canadian & Puerto Rico VR EVO Owners - Upload proof of purchase (receipt)ā€

Wow, to fill out the claim form they want US customers to upload a photo of the remote with the battery tray not just empty, but wires cut and removed. Thatā€™s a slight wrinkle in the ā€keep using the remote wirelessly as long as itā€™s still workingā€ plan. Wires can be reattached, to be sure

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I guess there's a vrz. My remote for the VR Evo 12s is wireless when I take the cord out of the remote.
I have the same winch you do. My controller has never been wet, and I cut power to the winch with a switched solenoid when not actually using it, so my risk is low. Iā€™m still not happy about their ā€œsolutionā€ though.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Wow, to fill out the claim form they want US customers to upload a photo of the remote with the battery tray not just empty, but wires cut and removed. Thatā€™s a slight wrinkle in the ā€keep using the remote wirelessly as long as itā€™s still workingā€ plan. Wires can be reattached, to be sure
This is egregious. I hope not too many people agree to this. It might be ā€œthe last warn Iā€™ll ever ownā€. :)

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
How about this: itā€™s a standard thin molex between the PCB and the battery & port. Use a pick to gently lift up the thin plastic spring lock, and de-pin the grey and white battery wires. Take a picture like this:
Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch Recall 483CA026-9081-4A46-B5D9-61A76713D09C

Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch Recall A6020F35-191A-4881-A7FE-140B408CE18F

Submit for claim. None of anyoneā€™s business what happens after that

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation

You want the voucher, you take the pics. I didn't see where it said "keep using the remote wirelessly as long as it's still working" anywhere on the VR Evo Remote Info page.

I have the same winch you do. My controller has never been wet, and I cut power to the winch with a switched solenoid when not actually using it, so my risk is low. Iā€™m still not happy about their ā€œsolutionā€ though.
My controller (built May, 2021) was never wet, either, but the battery pack did show early signs of corrosion. What happens when you're using it to winch up a steep hill and it goes into reverse or doesn't stop when you need it to? Or worse, use it 10' up a tree to lift your Jeep to change a tire and it doesn't shut off? Yes, these sound like improbable scenarios, but do you want to take a chance?

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
You want the voucher, you take the pics. I didn't see where it said "keep using the remote wirelessly as long as it's still working" anywhere on the VR Evo Remote Info page.
You didn't see in this thread (and on every single truck and off-road forum on the internet) where people are talking about how to keep the wireless capability of the winch they chose? Well, now you're aware. But agreed, take all measures you can to guard against the problems seen in the recall docs.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
How about this: itā€™s a standard thin molex between the PCB and the battery & port. Use a pick to gently lift up the thin plastic spring lock, and de-pin the grey and white battery wires. Take a picture like this:

Submit for claim. None of anyoneā€™s business what happens after that
Can we all use your pictures?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

I didn't think any conditions can be put on a safety recall. If you have a product with a potential safety issue - they must address it at their expense and not make anyone jump through any hoops. Hey, I have that winch with that remote, here's my receipt - FIX IT.
Imagine if your kid's crib had a problem that could kill the child and the company says you need to send photos and cut the bars out before they'll talk to you.
Sponsored