Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I didn't think any conditions can be put on a safety recall. If you have a product with a potential safety issue - they must address it at their expense and not make anyone jump through any hoops. Hey, I have that winch with that remote, here's my receipt - FIX IT.
Imagine if your kid's crib had a problem that could kill the child and the company says you need to send photos and cut the bars out before they'll talk to you.
I mean the Gladiator has a visor that can pop out of place and fall into the vision of the driver.
I'll continue to use my winch remote, but I'll get on the list.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I mean the Gladiator has a visor that can pop out of place and fall into the vision of the driver.
I'll continue to use my winch remote, but I'll get on the list.
What's interesting is that I never find any reference to that anywhere but on fakebook or forums like this - and although it's a tiny part, simple part, something few would ever think of as being a problem, it's a large enough problem that there are various videos on DIY repairs and parts sold on eBay to prevent or fix the issue.
I fully expected to see this pop up elsewhere - I have never had any issues with mine, either truck, however, I can sit and imagine "what if" and find it odd no one has mentioned it on the NHTSA site as a "complaint" as while some complaints are whining about non-safety issues - this indeed could be a problem. Imagine being in heavy traffic near Atlanta at 8am or 4 pm with clowns and jokers pulling Joe Mannix maneuvers in traffic and your visor drops in front of your face blocking your view......

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I fully expected to see this pop up elsewhere - I have never had any issues with mine, either truck, however, I can sit and imagine "what if" and find it odd no one has mentioned it on the NHTSA site as a "complaint" as while some complaints are whining about non-safety issues - this indeed could be a problem.
It's listed on the NHTSA site as an equipment recall number
22E101000.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's listed on the NHTSA site as an equipment recall number
22E101000.
That's for the winch. I was referring to the visors which had been mentioned as a safety issue although there's nothing about it - at least that I can find. (And I quoted Justin's comment on the visor - should have snipped the winch part out of the quote, I guess)
The winch controller is a recall - but to force users to send photos of wires clipped and so on is my pet peeve - it's a recall - fix it and don't make the owner do anything at all. No photos should be required. Owner shows proof they own the affected device - send them a new device and don't make them take theirs apart and snip wires and send a photo. (assuming that's what is required to get the controller issue taken care of)
It's a recall - not the owner's fault, so the owner should be able to sit back and get a new controller. This is saying you must send a photo? That's bunk, IMO.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
don't make them take theirs apart and snip wires and send a photo. (assuming that's what is required to get the controller issue taken care of)
See for yourself:

https://datarebate.com/warn2023/

You won't be able to click Submit until a photo is uploaded. I guess anyone is free to upload a pic of their middle finger (or worse) if they disagree with this policy, or just the receipt and see what happens. I agree with you BTW, but since there does seem to be an easily reversible way to check this box and move on with your life, I figured I'd share it

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with everyone that this wasnā€™t a great solution. I also agree that keeping a winch controller that could malfunction isnā€™t smart. Itā€™s a safety issue, one I do not take lightly. That said, I worked out an alternative solution that is acceptable to me. But for certain reasons, Iā€™m not going to go into specifics on a public forum at this time.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I guess there's a vrz
I was curious about this: https://www.warn.com/products-powersports-vrx

"VRX is available in 2,500, 3,500, and 4,500 lb. capacities" Looks like only ATV / SxS winches? Nothing truck class that I can see that's below the current VR Evo other than NOS somewhere

EDIT: oops, I missed the VRZ vs VRX there. Is there such a thing as VRZ? I don't see anything online

Last edited:

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
As far as the convenience of taking a photo, that is a helluvalot easier than sending the remote back to warn for a replacement that's not even made yet, or removing and returning the entire winch! I sent them a pic of the battery pack showing the cut wires, a copy of the receipt, and for good measure, a photo of the winch on the front of my Gladiator that also shows my licence plate! The receipt of my submission showed errors (like "date of service" now says "date of purchase") so I sent them a detail filled e-mail.

This too shall pass....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Several years ago there was a safety notice/recall on Craftsman radial arm saws (made by Emerson). The solution? Send them a message saying you have one of those saws, the model number, and your address.
A few days later you had a kit in the mail to resolve the issue.
Seems Warn could do that, but at least they are addressing it - and their attorneys may have said "make SURE they disable that remote!". Who know, I guess.
Hopefully they discovered the issue before anyone got hurt.
A person may have a disconnect, but that isn't going to help if you turn the power on to the winch via that disconnect and then try to use the remote and it goes funky.

Please be safe and don't count on it being ok just because it is now or you have a disconnect switch or solenoid. Winching can be dangerous enough as it is, when the equipment is properly functional.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Please be safe and don't count on it being ok just because it is now or you have a disconnect switch or solenoid. Winching can be dangerous enough as it is, when the equipment is properly functional.
Has anyone had an issue with their remote, such as the basis for the recall?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
According to the NHTSA Safety Recall Report (see bottom of page 5 & top of page 6)-- https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22E101-1107.PDF
To boil it down -

Personal injury if winch operates unexpectedly. No injuries have been reported associated with any product failures. No significant property damage other than the winch system, winch mounting brackets and front bumpers have been reported as a result of corrosion related issues.

I can imagine if that winch is pulling in and gets to the end, it's gonna suck that bumper in hard ......... and if you were in the way................ or if you were pulling a vehicle or whatever and it didn't stop when you wanted it to stop, could be a real disaster.

Too bad that this messes up the wireless operation as IMO, that's the safest way - no cord, you can keep your distance from the rope, etc.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Upon learning that the VR Evo I had just bought had a wireless controller, my first thought was ā€œcoolā€. My second was that it was a major safety issue. Concern over the remote is only half of it. Unless, that remote uses a rolling code, which I doubt it does, then the wireless receiver is just as much of a concern as the transmitter. And that receiver sits out in the elements all day everyday.

Itā€™s good practice anyway to install a winch cutoff but I cannot imagine installing a wireless capable winch without one. I used an overkill BSS 3000 so it would take the current instead of that overpriced POS cookie cutter battery cutoff Warn and everyone else sells.

No, the fuse box isnā€™t compromised at all. Yes the hood clears fine. Thereā€™s not a lot of real estate under the hood of the diesel Jeep. That brown board is a slab of Micarta. The bolts are rtvā€™d, and I keep a picture of the fuse map on my phone. The switch is labeled for the idiots and to justify my Brother label makerā€™s existence.

Jeep Gladiator Warn Winch Recall 945BAF68-132E-460A-AA36-BE89D59A0FCF

As for the remote. Iā€™ve got a Flipper Zero. (Think Cyberpunk Swiss Army Knife) https://flipperzero.one/

Iā€™m going to check out how the remote works and see if itā€™s possible to capture and replay the signal with the Flipper. Again, Iā€™d be surprised if Warn used a rolling code subGHZ receiver so I expect it will work. Another reason to cut power to any wireless-capable winch when not in use. You donā€™t want IRL trolls activating your winch. The point though is that people here may be able to replace the Warn remote with the Flipper along with all the other cool things it can do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, there are many threads, hundreds of pages and posts, dozens of opinions on what to use to cut the power to the winch. Solenoids, switches, this solenoid is better, that one is better, this switch is fine and so on.
There are times I've found it not easy to get to the hood to open it, so this time I used a solenoid powered by an aux switch. On my other jt i used a big switch
The main reason is to not have full battery power up front - but that's all been covered in those, too.
As far as messing with it - unlock the clutch, pull the rope out. No power needed.

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
Iā€™ve been brooding over this issue for a few days. I obviously donā€™t want my winch to auto-fire and destroy my bumper, but goddamnit I donā€™t want to loose my wireless functionality. Reading over the recall, it says

ā€œThe new wireless/corded remote currently being designed will have full conformal coating on the interior circuitry and sealed switches.ā€

So I had to Google what conformal coating is, and found this:

Iā€™m not that versed in PCBā€™s and electronic manufacturing, so maybe someone with some knowledge can chime in here. Whatā€™s stopping me from just coating the board myself as seen in the above video?
Sponsored