Wash or vacuum the interior?

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I know you "can" get the inside as wet as you want to, but do you? I do understand what water can do to metal, electrical, trapped in areas over time, etc.... What I don't know is really how well the new Gladiator interior is truly designed for water. I have fabric seats....covers are still on back-order.

I just did a nice day trail up here in Montana with a lot of dust inside. I will probably vacuum it out, but it got me thinking as to how many of you might just open the floor plugs and wash it out? If you are taking a hose to the inside, would love to know how and why and cautions.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vacuum. Wet carpets can grow mildew and mold, then stink. I use spray carpet cleaner and a rag to spot clean carpet and seat fabric.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you really wanted to do a deep clean remove seats and then carpet and spray with pressure washer, let dry and then reinstall. Long process, but you then have a very clean carpets (absolutely dust free)....but I wouldn't spend the time doing the dismantling

NotmyJt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I used to have a TJ that I took to the car wash a couple times and sprayed out after some muddy trail runs. Carpets were removed and I put trash bags over the seats. I wouldn’t do that with the Gladiator though

Sponsored

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys , 1993 F-150 Off Road RC SB
Occupation
Retired Mailman
Vacuum. Wet carpets can grow mildew and mold, then stink. I use spray carpet cleaner and a rag to spot clean carpet and seat fabric.
I'd like to know if there's a rubber floor
mat available that covers everywhere there's carpet. Like the base model work trucks came with from the factory. I think I'd go for that.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I'd like to know if there's a rubber floor
mat available that covers everywhere there's carpet. Like the base model work trucks came with from the factory. I think I'd go for that.
I'm not sure about mats that cover everything, but I just installed the Armorlite kit this weekend, and highly recommend going that route. Similar to base model flooring you are referencing, but with better-than-factory sound and heat insulation. Great folks to deal with, too.

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys , 1993 F-150 Off Road RC SB
Occupation
Retired Mailman
I'm not sure about mats that cover everything, but I just installed the Armorlite kit this weekend, and highly recommend going that route. Similar to base model flooring you are referencing, but with better-than-factory sound and heat insulation. Great folks to deal with, too.
I finally got around to checking Armorlite out and I was impressed.
This is what I meant by replace the carpet. Where I live you're always tracking fir needles onto the carpet and they just get stuck and don't vacuum out easily.
So I just ordered the Desert Khaki to lighten up the interior . I would have chose the tan seats but black is what this Jeep came with.
Anyway , any tips on the install?
Looks pretty straightforward but I'm always breaking plastic clips and such . Never know how much force is required to get things loose. Ha!

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I finally got around to checking Armorlite out and I was impressed.
This is what I meant by replace the carpet. Where I live you're always tracking fir needles onto the carpet and they just get stuck and don't vacuum out easily.
So I just ordered the Desert Khaki to lighten up the interior . I would have chose the tan seats but black is what this Jeep came with.
Anyway , any tips on the install?
Looks pretty straightforward but I'm always breaking plastic clips and such . Never know how much force is required to get things loose. Ha!
Same here- I'm always afraid I'm gonna shatter plastic clips. My recommendation would be to take your time; because of the thickness of the Armorlite, it does take some convincing to settle into place (especially the back). The only challenge I have is that my trim at the rear door sills keeps popping back out, so I'm going to pull those back off this weekend to make sure I lined them up all the way when I was reinstalling. Probably my error, since they were the last things I put back on. Oh, the plugs are a bit of a pain too, but nothing unreasonable. No doubt you're gonna dig it!

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Armorlite looks like a solid product, but for $600+ I'll wait for my carpet to be trashed before investing. The new carpet should last a little while anyhow. I'm not jumping in with muddy boots...yet. Only doing easy trails and not trying to push this to the limits and soak in mud.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I figure other people's trashed carpets are good for at least a few hundred dollars worth of price reduction. Armorlite is one of my zero day mods.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I figure other people's trashed carpets are good for at least a few hundred dollars worth of price reduction. Armorlite is one of my zero day mods.
There are different ways to approach longevity and use. Fine for those that do it instantly. No problem.

As a parallel, for the bedliner (off topic), I decided to wait a while before investing in a spray-in liner. When they put in the liner, they sand down and scuff up the entire painted surface. I'll wait a few years and use my bed occasionally (I have a bedrug on the bottom). If it gets scuffed up on the sides, then I can easily add a liner and have even more years of use from the bed liner.

I don't plan to sell the interior carpet. It looks great. I don't foresee going mudding, and I live and travel in areas where I'm not stepping out into dirt or pine needles often. I do like trails, but not where I need spotters. So, if in another year or two or more I feel the carpet is not holding up, I can invest in Armorlite. Who knows, with my use scenario, perhaps I get 5-10 years with the carpet or never really need the Armorlite.

Just curious how people clean the inside from dust...not mud.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I have a toddler and live in bear country. She occasionally gets car sick up here on the twisty mountain roads. Much more in the Wife's JKUR than in my ZR2(sold), so I anticipate similar in the JT. An interior that can be properly hosed out is a major plus for me (even without the toddler).

Seat covers are another of the zero day mods.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I have a toddler and live in bear country. She occasionally gets car sick up here on the twisty mountain roads. Much more in the Wife's JKUR than in my ZR2(sold), so I anticipate similar in the JT. An interior that can be properly hosed out is a major plus for me (even without the toddler).

Seat covers are another of the zero day mods.
Me too...except puking kids...grandkids perhaps. I was waiting 3 months on seat covers and finally gave up. I do want covers, but will try to reorded when they have the ones I want back in stock. Scotchguard for now.

Sounds like you really want leather seats. We always had those in every car when we had kids.
Sponsored