First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q7, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2015 Chrysler T&C
Occupation
Director in Automotive Industry
PPS. We used that water fitting on our expeditions in Africa and they worked very well. I love how you did the location.

Off topic but “expeditions in Africa” caught my eye. Anywhere that you’ve documented some of that? Vehicles? Destinations? Photography?

Doing similar is a, perhaps unachievable, dream of mine. I lived in South Africa and Lesotho for a couple of years and can’t wait to visit again.
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Off topic but “expeditions in Africa” caught my eye. Anywhere that you’ve documented some of that? Vehicles? Destinations? Photography?

Doing similar is a, perhaps unachievable, dream of mine. I lived in South Africa and Lesotho for a couple of years and can’t wait to visit again.
Sorry I’m not much of a blogger. It takes time away from the adventure if you know what I mean... We have been on two different expeditions, one primarily to Botswana and the second to Namibia. In both cases we rented fully outfitted 79 Series Land Cruisers from Bushlore (www.bushlore.com). The vehicles come with everything you could need from a fridge, RTT with sleeping bags and pillows, full cookware set etc., etc. IMHO this is the easiest way to get into Africa’s back country. I am trying to build my Gladiator after these vehicles.

In both cases we went with a group called Geko Expeditions who took care of the various permits etc. money well worth it.

Here are a few pictures...PM me if you want any further info.
Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution 1BBC34ED-F166-4B5C-8E5F-1ADB213A5870
Jeep Gladiator Water Tank - 19.9 gal on-board / removable custom solution F35B7358-E326-4062-BECF-FF95998AB6CB

Tokolosh

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Audi Q7, 2014 Ford Fusion, 2015 Chrysler T&C
Occupation
Director in Automotive Industry
In both cases we rented fully outfitted 79 Series Land Cruisers from Bushlore (www.bushlore.com). The vehicles come with everything you could need from a fridge, RTT with sleeping bags and pillows, full cookware set etc., etc. IMHO this is the easiest way to get into Africa’s back country.
Well, there goes my productivity for the day. Excuse my while I get lost in the vehicle builds and destination pages of that link. Time to start shuffling some of my savings goals because I have to do this.

Mash5

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Diesel SportS Gladiator, VW eGolf, Mazda3
I'm looking at building a similar water system and I wonder how this has been working out for you. Specifically, any durability concerns with the tank... chafing, bulging, leaks, etc.? And also, do you experience any noticeable effects from water sloshing side to side while off-roading in tippy or dynamic situations?
Thank you for a great write-up.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I'm looking at building a similar water system and I wonder how this has been working out for you. Specifically, any durability concerns with the tank... chafing, bulging, leaks, etc.? And also, do you experience any noticeable effects from water sloshing side to side while off-roading in tippy or dynamic situations?
Thank you for a great write-up.
none what so ever. The drawer system that buts up against the plastic tank is lined with carpet so that eliminates any rubbing issue.

Sponsored

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Awesome!
I want this but installed under the body of the jeep, like an additional gas tank install type.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Ofermorag

First Name
Ofer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
Awesome!
I want this but installed under the body of the jeep, like an additional gas tank install type.
That’s exactly what I’m after, about 8-10 gallons mounted underneath. Have you found any solutions? Thank you

Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
Last edited:

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
Very interesting thread. Some thoughts based on my water tank experience on boats.

For those of you planning a custom tank, consider adding a 3” access port on the top. Sooner or later crud is going to get into the tank, or start growing. An access port will allow you to get a shop vac hose in quickly get the big stuff. It’s way easier than trying to flush 20 gallons of water through the tank two or three times.

Bleach is a frenemy, use it to keep water safe for cooking and drinking, but be aware it will cause deteriorated rubber parts.

Long term my experience with clear tubing has not been good. I would consider an upgrade to PEX material & fittings for the components that stay behind on the truck, or are mounted permanently to the tank.

If you live where it freezes, consider adding a gravity drain feature to any permanent plumbing on the truck. Otherwise you will need to winterize each fall or risk having to replace plumbing every spring.

A good resource for RV and boat water system parts is freshwatersystems.com. They stock just about anything you might need.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
That’s exactly what I’m after, about 8-10 gallons mounted underneath. Have you found any solutions? Thank you
Have not looked around

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
HankB
Spot on about the freezing killing water pumps. I've had one freeze on my RV it was winterize even, but mounted on belly to drain shower pan. I ended up buying a H.F. 12v SS fresh water pump better performance than original Sureflow one. I'm not using it for potable water.

Now on water tanks in JT's I've installed a 10 gallon on right side in front of fridge freezer currently a gravity flow hose leads out under fridge and off side using RV hose and fittings. No where as elegant as shown here. The 10 gallon lasted me just short 3 weeks plus all the Nalgene bottles and Clean Canteens 7-8 of them. Still have some water left. Coffee, drinking water and washing hands. Of all things I didn't take a few photos of.
Sponsored