Sponsored

What did you do WITH your Gladiator today?

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
I had to smile when I read your post. Your English is better than the English spoken and written than people born and raised in the U.S.A.
Don't be ashamed or shy about it.

I'm very impressed by the German people and their determination to make sure the past is not forgotten and to ensure "never again".
My wife has been to Austria twice and I'd love to visit Germany and Austria myself - to see the history and reminders and experience the hospitality there. (and the beer, of course)
German engineers are still among the best in the world and I worked with a German company to get our state agency VPN server and gateway set up. It was the best VPN software I'd ever seen and the support was beyond excellent.
Drove through Germany and Austria with my dad for two weeks when I was 18. Just absolutely beautiful country. Cities are cities, though we received some of the most wonderful welcomes in Munich.
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
On this wet, cold, cloudy Sunday morning we made a short trip to a nearby forest. The picture is as bad as the weather.

The location is actually a memorial, stop reading if you are not interested in "german history" (my English is not good so excuse wrong translation). I am not sure if this post is allowed, please remove/move if not OK.

In 1945 a train with 5000 people was moving from one Konzentrationslager to another one. This parking spot is where a small train station was at that time. Several hundred people were shot here by the Nazis during this stop, and buried next to the railway. After WW2 the american soldiers found the location, people of the region had to get the dead bodies out of the ground with bare hands (my wifeā€™s grand-uncle was one of the people who had to dig, so this really happened). ALL people had to go there and look at the horrible scene.
More details in better english: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KZ-Transport_1945_Memorial

8EB8FC45-3B48-4937-A25E-A9990BD16E06.jpeg
Thank you for your story which brings up memories of my Grandparents.

They lived in Hamburg and my grandfather was quite outspoken about the Regime. Being a Jew, he was thrown in jail numerous times. Circa 1939. The last time my grandmother went to visit him in jail, they grabbed them both and put them on a train to Italy where they were put on a boat and sent to Shanghai. There they had to live and witness the atrocities of the Japanese invasion/occupation. After the war they received VISAs to come to America. Unfortunately many of the family was sent to camps and didn't make it out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your story which brings up memories of my Grandparents.

They lived in Hamburg and my grandfather was quite outspoken about the Regime. Being a Jew, he was thrown in jail numerous times. Circa 1939. The last time my grandmother went to visit him in jail, they grabbed them both and put them on a train to Italy where they were put on a boat and sent to Shanghai. There they had to live and witness the atrocities of the Japanese invasion/occupation. After the war they received VISAs to come to America. Unfortunately many of the family was sent to camps and didn't make it out.
The Japanese of the past have their own sick stories....... just ask the Koreans.
Sadly the young of today will never learn where we came from and what to watch out for and avoid/never let happen again.
I about freaked when during the Olympic games in Korea, NBC's "expert on Korea" was talking and the Japanese athletes came in and that moron said something like "the Koreans should be thankful and thank the Japanese for (can't recall what it was for right now)" and I thought you blooming bloody idiot! You think the Koreans would be thankful for the Japanese and respect them and be happy after what the Japanese did to Korea and Koreans not THAT many decades ago?? Wow! I noted that "expert" was no longer on NBC's broadcasts for those Olympics.

Hmmm. guess that's way more than a little bit off topic, sorry!

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
The Japanese of the past have their own sick stories....... just ask the Koreans.
Sadly the young of today will never learn where we came from and what to watch out for and avoid/never let happen again.
I about freaked when during the Olympic games in Korea, NBC's "expert on Korea" was talking and the Japanese athletes came in and that moron said something like "the Koreans should be thankful and thank the Japanese for (can't recall what it was for right now)" and I thought you blooming bloody idiot! You think the Koreans would be thankful for the Japanese and respect them and be happy after what the Japanese did to Korea and Koreans not THAT many decades ago?? Wow! I noted that "expert" was no longer on NBC's broadcasts for those Olympics.

Hmmm. guess that's way more than a little bit off topic, sorry!
It was much worse in China. To listen to the stories my Grandfather told. My mother was born in Shanghai! But they also lost the oldest son there.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
Having lived in Japan a number of years I can tell you that the Japanese are all in on pacifism. When we told them unconditional surrender we meant it. The populace was all for it due to their enormous losses and the change in the behavior they saw of their sons.

They were so horrible to anyone they fought and unlike the Americans the Koreans and Chinese haven't and won't forget.

In order to try and hide my identity when taking my kids to China I signed up with a Japanese tour group and only used my personal passport and there wasn't one hint of my military affiliation [other than an obviously American name]. I didn't bring any military ID or leave papers and not one electronic device. I wasn't there 12 hours before the cute young girl "assigned to help the tour group" inadvertently called me Colonel. Every single day we returned to our room all of our stuff had been very professionally gone through. I knew because I set certain things at very precise angles and distances from walls etc. No way would you know if you weren't specifically looking for it.

After eating their horrible food for a week we saw a McDonalds and off we went. The poor girl about had a heart attack telling us no and we already paid for a Chinese lunch. I told her I didn't care and was more than happy to buy lunch, for her included, but she wanted nothing to do with it. Never saw her again.

Sorry about the tangent---but the experience was so illuminating. The Chinese absolutely hated the Japanese and treated them like total shit from minute one. The Japanese just smiled and let it roll off their backs.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Having lived in Japan a number of years I can tell you that the Japanese are all in on pacifism. When we told them unconditional surrender we meant it. The populace was all for it due to their enormous losses and the change in the behavior they saw of their sons.

They were so horrible to anyone they fought and unlike the Americans the Koreans and Chinese haven't and won't forget.

In order to try and hide my identity when taking my kids to China I signed up with a Japanese tour group and only used my personal passport and there wasn't one hint of my military affiliation [other than an obviously American name]. I didn't bring any military ID or leave papers and not one electronic device. I wasn't there 12 hours before the cute young girl "assigned to help the tour group" inadvertently called me Colonel. Every single day we returned to our room all of our stuff had been very professionally gone through. I knew because I set certain things at very precise angles and distances from walls etc. No way would you know if you weren't specifically looking for it.

After eating their horrible food for a week we saw a McDonalds and off we went. The poor girl about had a heart attack telling us no and we already paid for a Chinese lunch. I told her I didn't care and was more than happy to buy lunch, for her included, but she wanted nothing to do with it. Never saw her again.

Sorry about the tangent---but the experience was so illuminating. The Chinese absolutely hated the Japanese and treated them like total shit from minute one. The Japanese just smiled and let it roll off their backs.
That's not how it used to be............ luckily, the Japanese "learned" and did a total 180. But like so many times, it was mostly about the Japanese "leadership" anyway. The general population is generally very different.

Since my son went to Korea to teach and married a Korean girl from a very old and respected Korean family name, with history they trace back over 2,000 years, and him having been to China, Japan and Korea many times (and another son living in China and being married to a Chinese girl) you catch up on things about other countries and societies few Americans have the privilege to learn about and enjoy. And man, I love REAL Korean food!

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
We drooled over a corvette at work today.
Weā€™d really like to take a ride on it.

D8E284A3-DAD3-4544-A97F-DA0F9848207A.jpeg

9DD59846-7A33-440E-A926-E495524A6C60.jpeg

1A865578-91E5-4DC4-8F7B-CD11E4ABD83D.jpeg

Sponsored

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
Indeed: it was a perfect day!
Had fallen in Love with the Lotus,
found out I couldnā€˜t drive it with my arms and had the fantastic idea to buy it for my wifeā€¦.
The Lotus is a sweet ride, and a nice complement to your JT. Iā€™m quite jealous sir!
Sponsored