Sponsored

What do I need to go off road the first time?

WambliSka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2022
Occupation
Business Development
I live in your state and have been all over Uwharrie and the Smokies and my advice to you is don't overthink this. Unless you're doing something silly (Jeeps in general can take you to places where you DO NOT belong, and they WILL kill you if you're stupid), your Jeep the way it comes out of the factory will take you anywhere you want to go as a new off-roader. And this area is not Moab... Again, unless you want to run well beyond your personal capabilities.

Google IFAK and get a good one, and get trained in first-aid, the WAY biggest concern is not getting stuck, it's getting hurt while you're miles away from a doctor. This is an aspect of being in the great outdoors that I seldom see covered here or anywhere in Forums.

So cover first-aid and survival needs FIRST... Then worry about accessorizing your Jeep AFTER you figure out what you actually need from real world EXPERIENCE.

Happy trails...
Sponsored

Gringo&Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Occupation
Chef
Vehicle Showcase
Most replies are giving you good advice. Iā€™d add a hitch skid as very inexpensive protection. Itā€™ll help immensely. Mine never comes off unless Iā€™m towing.
Agree with above. Starting out and most of the time now I do tons of research on each specific trail and take notes on what I needed or wished I had. You could easily hit many trails in Moab as is. Know when to turn around and walk technical sections best advise I can giveā€¦often repeat to myself, donā€™t always follow.

Varies greatly based on your preference of terrain, experience level, vehicle mods, distance from civilization, and solo or not. If solo let people know where your going and when you should be back in contact.

My stage overly cautious suggestions excluding vehicle mods:

Stage 1
- Straps (1 long, 1 short, 1 tree saver)
- Connection point front & rear designed for recovery
- Trail maps & research
- Radio GMRS
- Tools/Hardware (I like to have in case someone comes along who knows how to use them.)
- Gloves/EX Clothing/Water/EX Boots
- Flashlights
- Tire Patch Kit
- First Aid
- Jump Battery (or cables)
- Knife/Multitool
- Good spare
- Zip Ties/Duct Tape
- Vehicle Fluids

Stage 2
- Recovery Boards
- Soft Shackles
- Shovel (Beaver)
- Air Compressor
- Extra Fuel
- Fire Extinguisher
- Paper maps when possible
- Weather Gear (Had some surprise storms)

Stage 3
- Winch
- Kinetic Rope
- Snatch Block
- Off Road Jack
- Typical Survival Gear (Water filtration/compass/fire/etc.)
- AX/Hatchet
- Personal Protection
- Hike out pack
- Road Hazard Gear (Mostly for night)

Stage 4
- Sat Phone/Text capable GPS
- Land Anchor
- Winch extension line
- Chainsaw
- Chains

WambliSka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2022
Occupation
Business Development
And don't go so far into places that you can't walk out of the same day... You WILL get stuck someday and spending time alone, unprepared in the woods, sucks.

Sponsored

Plywood

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Willys EcoDiesel
Occupation
Pilot
So it'll fit the front as well šŸ¤”. Would it make a difference over the standard BLD?
It would be much better than BLD. You canā€™t beat a mechanical lsd. It will engage smoother and quicker.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I would get some kind of rock rail/rocker protection, tire deflators, a compressor to refill those tires, and you'll be good to go

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I would get some kind of rock rail/rocker protection, tire deflators, a compressor to refill those tires, and you'll be good to go
Just picked a pair of Mojave take off rails. Need some for the rear still though. Tire inflator came last night. Anyone know a way to mount it anywhere? I got the ironman4x4 heavy duty compressor.
https://ironman4x4america.com/essential-airdown-kit/

It would be much better than BLD. You canā€™t beat a mechanical lsd. It will engage smoother and quicker.
I think I'm gonna order one. I have an appointment on Jan 23. I hope it comes by then. It took a week to get the gears.

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
One other thing.

Plastic front bumper. Quadratic sells a mount for a winch so I don't have to buy a new bumper. Especially because the one I want is out of stock.. will that bumper hold up for the most part? Or just order the steel bumper instead of the mount for $300 more and hope it comes sometime soon? And quadratics winch, any good? Was thinking that or smittybuilt. Heard the badlands aren't great.

Sponsored

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Bright White
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
One other thing.

Plastic front bumper. Quadratic sells a mount for a winch so I don't have to buy a new bumper. Especially because the one I want is out of stock.. will that bumper hold up for the most part? Or just order the steel bumper instead of the mount for $300 more and hope it comes sometime soon? And quadratics winch, any good? Was thinking that or smittybuilt. Heard the badlands aren't great.
Nothing against Quadratec, no experience with their winch. I have a Smittybilt 9.5k w/ Synthetic cable, it's pulled me out of trouble just fine.
I would check your source on the Badlands, MANY people use them with no issues. Including one popular YouTuber who does off-road recovery. That's all he uses for winches.

As far as bumper goes, wait and buy the one you want or order it and wait for it to come in, you'll regret it otherwise. Buy once, Cry once. Otherwise it's multiple set ups (time + money) that you will end up dealing with.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Just picked a pair of Mojave take off rails. Need some for the rear still though. Tire inflator came last night. Anyone know a way to mount it anywhere? I got the ironman4x4 heavy duty compressor.
https://ironman4x4america.com/essential-airdown-kit/
I don't have rear bed rails. Haven't needed them yet šŸ¤ž

Just carry the compressor somewhere, I don't mount it

I put all my recovery gear in one of these and ratchet strap it down in the bed

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/pla...S-b1NvpoRbL79GSBbpxoCsqUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Nothing against Quadratec, no experience with their winch. I have a Smittybilt 9.5k w/ Synthetic cable, it's pulled me out of trouble just fine.
I would check your source on the Badlands, MANY people use them with no issues. Including one popular YouTuber who does off-road recovery. That's all he uses for winches.

As far as bumper goes, wait and buy the one you want or order it and wait for it to come in, you'll regret it otherwise. Buy once, Cry once. Otherwise it's multiple set ups (time + money) that you will end up dealing with.
Hmmm. Might give the Badlands a try then.
That's a really great idea actually. Thanks!

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Most of my recovery gear is in a Rubbermaid-type bin in the bed, but real important stuff like the winch control, strap, tree strap and some soft shackles are under the rear seat. Over the year I've been stuck a few times where I couldn't open the rear gate on vehicles....

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Most of my recovery gear is in a Rubbermaid-type bin in the bed, but real important stuff like the winch control, strap, tree strap and some soft shackles are under the rear seat. Over the year I've been stuck a few times where I couldn't open the rear gate on vehicles....
That's where I was thinking of keeping mine. Either there or behind the seats
Sponsored