What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Would you really see much of a difference between it and a max tow? Given all the torque from the diesel?
Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Yes there is a difference, not in performance, but in where the delivery of power occurs. I am getting a diesel simply because I can’t deal with the high revs during max torque delivery in the 3.6. The 3.6 delivers max torque of 260 at 4400 RPMs. The diesel delivers 442 torque between 1400 to 2800 RPMs. Much more palatable to me as I drive highway speeds while towing and climb steep boat ramps, as such, I want torque at low RPMs.

OP
OP
DylanR

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I had the 2020 JT Gas and now 2021 JT Diesel. Night and day towing my trailer.

Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel 7F266DCD-1EA3-4D12-8334-C4A5C7D47D86_1_105_c
would you considering it likely to be night and day difference with even a heavier trailer than with the gas?

Sponsored

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
would you considering it likely to be night and day difference with even a heavier trailer than with the gas?
I would say for me and my experience, the diesel JT is right at home pulling any size trailer. WIth my current set up on my trailer, I dont even know its on. I am going to be pulling a trailer with gravel soon which I did with my gas JT last year, so I will report back once I do on the differences.

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Utility trailer with Kawasaki Mule. Houston to San Antonio with no trailer and ACC set for 75. 23 mpg. Trip back, 2750 pound trailer weight. ACC set for 65. 14.6 mpg per trip computer. Pulled it like nothing was back there other than downshifting a bit on hills, sometimes to 6 but usually to 7. No issues accelerating onto the freeway, braking or handling. It did exactly what I wanted and expected it to do. This is the kind of weight I want to be able to tow and I think the Gladiator will do it well. FYI, no brakes on the trailer.
Jeep Gladiator What have you been towing with your Eco Diesel 0CFBB6BE-EC94-42CD-A1AA-226DE2EEFB22

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
2021 Overland Diesel 1.5" level kit up front with Rubicon takeoff tires. Snowmobile trailer is approximately 3200 lb trailer 6ft wide (body and 7ft axle) x about 6ft tall x 16 long. 300 mile round trip at 73 mph I was averaging 15.2 mpg (on the screen). It was very stable and had plenty of power remaining. I was in norther Michigan with some good sized hills. It would stay in 8th gear on flat road and downshifted to 7th on the hills.

20210212_172942.jpg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The EcoDiesel will out-tow the Max Tow six days a week and twice on Sunday. There is and never has been any question about that. It'll pull at lower RPM, with less shifting, and will achieve 1-2 MPG better mileage while towing heavy. No question.

The issue has never been whether the diesel WILL tow more/better. The question is can you tow what you want LEGALLY with the diesel. And in most cases I'm seeing online, guys are severely overloading their diesel Jeeps from a legal standpoint. Some people don't care about that. They're willing to roll the dice. Me...I don't risk it anymore. DOT fines are steep.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
From what I've read from other members, the diesel also gets GREAT mileage on its own, but once you load up a decently loaded trailer the MPG drops fairly significantly, not sure if MPG would match a loaded gasser, but something also to consider.

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Service DEF System, see dealer. "No restart" countdown initiated. 9/2020 build date. Been super cold here. Love my JT, but this is frustrating.
Sponsored