Sponsored

What is regearing

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Can you go too high or too much of a re-gear? And if so, how would that affect the Jeep?
You could go too deep, but you'll just run at a higher rpm than you would have. Easy fix is to buy a taller tire.
Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
You can go to high or to low. So for clarification Low = Higher numbers like 4:88, 6: 14; Higher 3.x 2.x etc.

As you go lower your engine rpms increase given the original tire size

As you go higher your engine rpms decrease given the orginial tire size

1) what do you intend to do? Offroad, Offroad 3.5> trails? Highway, city, daily driver

2) For me and my Off road built 3.5> trails across the SW US = 37" tires, 4:88 gears and Supercharged engine. I don't tow my trail rigs, my experience with those thow in, is the piece of junk if going fail on the trail which for some seems to be a badge of honor, most trail jeeps will fail before they get to the trail.

3) To determine you axle ratio you need to decide what you wan to do with your jeep, and what you are willing to sacrifice. For me its mpg 12.4 on average over the 8 years of and almost 100k miles of dedicated off roading.

4) take into consideration engine torque curve and HP curve. The V6 of the 2007> Jeep demands low, low gears if you want to OR 3.5> due to its very high torque rpms. I think for the V6 5:14-5:36 on 37's for the trail but mpg is gonna take a bigger bite of the paycheck.

All said you need consider tire hight, trans mission ratios where you will be operating the most, Transfer case ratios, axles ratio and where your torque is in the RPM band. WORLD of difference between a TJ straight 6 vs V6. TJ 6 gets 20% of its torque around 1500 rpm, V6 get 20% above around 4000 rpm.