Sponsored

What is shared between the ram 1500 and the gladiator?

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
  • Banned
Is the frame the same?
Sponsored

rconkin

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Chemical Operator
I would guess definitely not the frame. My daughter that I gave my 12 Ram 1500 to was here yesterday and parked next to my Gladiator. Ram noticeably bigger. Maybe engine transmission and some electronics.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Engine would be the same if the 3.6 was the chosen option in the ram, the frames are "likely" similar but would vary due to the fact that the Gladiator is SFA and the Ram is IFS. Transmission is the same as well if the engine is the 3.6. I would also have to assume they use the M220 Dana in the rear but don't quote me on that. Info is scarce to confirm that.

Edit to add: seems some of the 1500's come with the Chrysler 9.25 in the rear, and some with the 9.75.

Last edited:
OP
OP

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
  • Banned
I'm really interested in the frame differences because the ram has a 12k+lb tow rating with the same diesel motor and axles.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Correct, I would have to assume a majority of it comes down to GVWR due to springs, wheelbase (ram is longer), brake diameter (larger on the Ram). Further, the max weight is likely for a short cab long bed 4x2 as it usually is.

Directly from Ram:

The Max Tow Package is available only on RWD Quad Cab trucks with the V-8 or diesel in the Tradesman and Big Horn/Lone Star trims. It includes a 9.75-inch rear axle with the numerically highest 3.92 ratio, a Class IV receiver hitch, 18-by-8-inch wheels, a full-size spare tire and LT275/65R18C tires. Available for all models except the Tradesman HFE is a Trailer-Tow Group that adds trailer tow mirrors and a trailer brake controller, along with other features.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
  • Banned
wow a 9.75 inch rear. I don't even know what axle that would come in.

Springs can be easily taken care of. Brakes shouldn't be an issue if the trailer has them. I was assuming the gladiator frame was just weaker, but it looks like the main difference is the rear end.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales

Springs can be easily taken care of. Brakes shouldn't be an issue if the trailer has them. I was assuming the gladiator frame was just weaker, but it looks like the main difference is the rear end.
Wheelbase also comes into play. The Ram has something like 6+ inches on the Gladiator in the wheelbase department depending on the bed choice. Also the quad cab version comes with the 6'4" bed, making it 4 inches longer wheel base than the Gladiator, and weighing ~220 lbs less.

Plywood

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Willys EcoDiesel
Occupation
Pilot
I'm really interested in the frame differences because the ram has a 12k+lb tow rating with the same diesel motor and axles.
There’s so much more that goes into tow ratings than hp and torque. Biggest hindrance in the JT Diesel is cooling, they couldn’t get it above 6500 because of it.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
If I remember correctly, design wise, the frames are of the same design just that the Gladiator is (obviously) smaller. It's the same welded box frame design for both.

Running gear...yes, the V-6s are the same as are the transmissions. Maybe different transfer case but the axles are also the same as the RAM except that they're narrower (obviously). The axles, DANA 44's, are the same for both.

The Gladiator is a real truck...just smaller and therefore have the payload and towing weight restrictions accordingly. Of course, there is the payload/towing difference between the 8sp auto and the 6sp manual.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Essentially there is 0 parts that are actually shared. Now there IS a lot of engineering that is VERY similar. The rear section of the fram and the overall suspension is a modified Ram 1500 design from the sway bar style to the spring perch and shock mounts and control arms. With that no parts are the same, just similar design. There’s a lot more then just the rear, but the rear section of the fram and suspension is the biggest component that is similar. Up front and drivetrain is all almost exact clone of JL parts and almost everything is EXACT copies as far as front interior and front suspension and body components.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The OEM rear upper and lower control arms are actually part number compatible with a RAM 1500.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech

Well your assumptions may be correct. lol

Towing bent frame

Mojave bent frame

OP
OP

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
Well your assumptions may be correct. lol

Towing bent frame

Mojave bent frame

That is what drove me to compare. However, I just took the bed off my jt for a wrap and that frame looks stout. I think people are running too long of shocks in the rear, since the design is more a ram 1500 in the rear than a jl? Since the shocks mount a foot further forward of the bump stops, on a 5 foot bed, I could see that being incredibly significant to tongue weight and payload capacity. JMO but it seems feasible but its potentially wishful thinking on my part.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Is the frame the same?
No.
It's the DESIGN, not the parts. Most parts won't interchange. Especially anything major like frame.
The design is based on the RAM.
There COULD be some suspension - oops, see Hootbro already hit that and gave an example.
Frames are extremely vehicle specific.

That is what drove me to compare. However, I just took the bed off my jt for a wrap and that frame looks stout. I think people are running too long of shocks in the rear, since the design is more a ram 1500 in the rear than a jl? Since the shocks mount a foot further forward of the bump stops, on a 5 foot bed, I could see that being incredibly significant to tongue weight and payload capacity. JMO but it seems feasible but its potentially wishful thinking on my part.
Don't go there. Payload and towing aren't about springs and shocks. Tons and tons and tons of discussion on this elsewhere. There's wheel base, (length and width) center of gravity, braking and a lot more.

Don't even go there.

OP
OP

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
No.
It's the DESIGN, not the parts. Most parts won't interchange. Especially anything major like frame.
The design is based on the RAM.
There COULD be some suspension - oops, see Hootbro already hit that and gave an example.
Frames are extremely vehicle specific.

Don't go there. Payload and towing aren't about springs and shocks. Tons and tons and tons of discussion on this elsewhere. There's wheel base, (length and width) center of gravity, braking and a lot more.

Don't even go there.
yeah I've seen there's a sharp divide in the community over it, but by payload and tongue weight I merely mean the downward force on the bed behind the rear wheel and its contribution to bent frames, not ultimate towing capacity.
Sponsored