Sponsored

What is the best option for hauling skis?

jfisher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
New Gladiator owner here, I have the hard tri-fold tonneau cover over the bed and the hardtop on.

I was going to get the Mopar removable roof rack and Thule ski rack but after researching and reading threads here, the whistling over 50 MPH on this config sounds unbearable.

Has the whistling been fixed in subsequent builds of the Mopar rack or does it still persist?

If so what are some other solid options? Anything that can be installed above the tri-fold that's as easily removable as the Mopar? Would like to stay on brand but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Anything on the roof of just about any vehicle will make some noise. If you ski a lot then its not a big deal. if you just want the look then maybe it gets annoying... I assume you dont want your skis hanging out the back of your bed peeking out from under the partially closed tonneau cover for security reasons? Or b/c it looks redneck?

IMHO if you want skis with low noise, security and decent looks get the roof rack (Yakima and Thule have raingutter mounts and you can probably carry up to 50-80lbs dynamic weight without worrying too much) and put an enclosed rocket box (from Yakima, Thule whatever is your brand of choice).
This:
Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 1614907543568

plus one of these:
Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 1614907609044

You can also get tail hitch mounted racks that store skis upright- lots of different variants but something like this:
Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 1614907691750

You can also get bed mounted racks like:
Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 1614907833444

Or suction cup mounts which must be pretty good because you see them on porsches and shit - which no matter what anyone says on this forum are WAY faster than their mojave max tow wide track special edition:
Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 1614907929013

Anyway - google is your friend. Bring your Amex

OP
OP
jfisher

jfisher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that's very helpful.

I'll have to look at raingutter racks from those other guys.

c4nuck

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Engineer
I tried the roof option, but way too noisy. Not so much wind noise, but the bar spanning the "floating" freedom panels would make the seals squeak nonstop.

Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 20210125_185213

Fits my 184 long skiis without issue.

Old/noisy setup for reference:
Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 20201224_124548 (1)

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I built this out of some MDF and cut some cheap outdoor style carpet rug into strips to line the edges where the snowboards sit. I just put it in the bed of the truck when I need to haul them and then take it out when I don't need it. Might work for you depending on how long your skis are.

It's just a modified version of this:

https://www.instructables.com/Truck-Bed-Snowboard-Ski-Rack/

Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? IMG_5672[862]

Sponsored

OP
OP
jfisher

jfisher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does that work with the hardcover over the bed?

I tried the roof option, but way too noisy. Not so much wind noise, but the bar spanning the "floating" freedom panels would make the seals squeak nonstop.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S. Max Tow.
Vehicle Showcase

Fits my 184 long skiis without issue.

Old/noisy setup for reference:

Is that track part of the Tonneau cover?

c4nuck

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Engineer
Is that track part of the Tonneau cover?
It is, while BAK doesn't advertise or show pictures of this on their website, the revolver X4 cover has built in tracks along the sides.

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
LOL am I the only one who throws my board and skis just in the bed? Once I have my bed rack on I plan to mount the ski rack UNDER the tent upside down. But until then they sit comfy in the bed no problems

SLC Rubicon

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Looking to revive this conversation...When I did an extended test drive and since I have verified that I can get my 194s in if I do an up-down diagonal. They just barely fit. All of my other skis are 190s so I was thinking about the ACE bed extender, but then I can use the bed cover...Anyone else come up with something creative for this first-world problem? I have thought about a bed rack with skis mounted on the sides. That option costs a lot of money and I don't plan on going the rack route. The reasons are can't use Mopar softcover, PITA to throw a bike over the tailgate, no need for a rack, and of course lots of $$$.

Sponsored

Boogerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
LOL am I the only one who throws my board and skis just in the bed? Once I have my bed rack on I plan to mount the ski rack UNDER the tent upside down. But until then they sit comfy in the bed no problems
came across this thread and saw this post and was like… wow what a sensible guy, makes a lot of sense….

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like you already have the best ski carrier. A bed with a hard toneau cover.

With that, the skis are
1) out of the weather and salt.
2) safe
3) easy to reach

Use some ski straps to hold the skis tight against themselves so the edges don't work against themselves and just put them in.
I did this for years.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Rent skis. No muss, no fuss. :LOL:

Or... Someone has to make a clamp mount that will allow you to strap the skis across the hood. :like:😜

In another forum a member was looking for a new vehicle for his business and deciding between an Expedition or a Tahoe. Some asshat recommended a Caravan based on the higher power to weight ratio and bigger storage capacity. Oh, and the flat floors. He was adamant that the Carvan was the vastly superior option.

The original poster ran a ski rental/tour biz. A Caravan isn't going to cut it in the Rockies.

All that to say I have no ideas based on your situation that doesn't involve noisy roofracks. The hitch mount carriers are a distant 3rd (of my own recommendations).

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rent skis. No muss, no fuss. :LOL:

Or... Someone has to make a clamp mount that will allow you to strap the skis across the hood. :like:😜

In another forum a member was looking for a new vehicle for his business and deciding between an Expedition or a Tahoe. Some asshat recommended a Caravan based on the higher power to weight ratio and bigger storage capacity. Oh, and the flat floors. He was adamant that the Carvan was the vastly superior option.

The original poster ran a ski rental/tour biz. A Caravan isn't going to cut it in the Rockies.

All that to say I have no ideas based on your situation that doesn't involve noisy roofracks. The hitch mount carriers are a distant 3rd (of my own recommendations).
Its funny that you say that.

For most people who buy a Suburban or Expedition, they WOULD be better served by a Caravan. But their egos and image conscious spouses wouldn't have it.

As far as cutting it in the rockies.

An AWD Caravan with a set of Michelin, Bridgestone, or Continental snow tires on it will go through the snow better than a Gladiator on pretty much anything other than Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires.

By the way, I see this every winter. (My kid is on a team, so I ski every weekend between December 1 and April 15, plus a week in December and February) I see very capable Caravans and Toyota vans on snow tires doing great in difficult conditions and guys in pickup trucks on street tires getting stuck.

Now that there is an AWD Prius, I can't wait until one of them is used to pull a truck out of a snow drift. ha.

Winter Traction is ALL ABOUT THE TIRES.

With all that said. I'd never drive a Caravan or a Prius. Life is too short. ha.

c4nuck

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JT
Occupation
Engineer
For the guys saying put them in the bed, you're outing yourself of how short your skis are, haha.
Sponsored