Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Damn! Can’t believe ShadowsPaPa missed an opportunity to school somebody on what the hell the owners manual is for.🤣
Or anyone else for that matter. Usually the crowd is a little tougher and with questions like this will club you like a baby seal.
Anyhow, you’ve got a quick answer and more will be incoming. And debate of course.
Jeep Gladiator What is this in front of the shifter? 1651714608300
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Do you put the autos in neutral and disconnect the battery?
Auto's go in park. transfer case in neutral. Battery stays connected.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Hmm, I would have thought differently, especially towing behind an RV that has a rear axle far forward. Thanks. I never would have looked in the manual for that info.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Gladiators don't have steering wheel lock.
Towing in general. That would make more sense to leave it in Park and just the tc in neutral. I am learning stuff here every day. No steering wheel lock. You would think I would have noticed by now.

OP
OP
Jglad15

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Damn! Can’t believe ShadowsPaPa missed an opportunity to school somebody on what the hell the owners manual is for.🤣
Or anyone else for that matter. Usually the crowd is a little tougher and with questions like this will club you like a baby seal.
Anyhow, you’ve got a quick answer and more will be incoming. And debate of course.
Lol I was just curious as to why the cover was popped up and what the strap was for.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wonder if you know why flat towing with the transmission in neutral is bad. The odds of me ever flat towing mine are basically zero, but now I'm just plain damn curious.
My hunch is based on vehicles of the past...........
Even with things in neutral, shafts can still turn due to mechanical drag or the lube. With no rear pump the transmission rear shaft and associated parts ( like the small needle bearings between the input and output shafts) would turn but not be lubed. Putting the transmission in neutral makes sure nothing in the transmission can turn without lube.
It's hard to say without the breakdown of these transfer cases, but my bet would be that there's lube being slung around in there to keep things lubed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Gladiators don't have steering wheel lock.
Jeep dropped the steering lock about 10 years ago due to the popularity of towing Jeeps flat behind motor homes, etc.
You can turn the wheels on these, engine off, in park. it just takes some muscle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Passenger/inlaws ejection seat.
When you can't stand the BS anymore remove safety cover and pull.
Years ago I dated a woman who bought a new car, late 1980s, and there was a button on the dash that was labeled:
E/M
She was showing her parents her new car and I was there - and her mother asked "what's this button?"
I said "Eject Mother-in-law".
Glad she had a sense of humor.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Hmm, I would have thought differently, especially towing behind an RV that has a rear axle far forward. Thanks. I never would have looked in the manual for that info.
I towed a 2013 Grand Cherokee TrailHawk behind my 41 ft class A diesel pusher for 7 yrs and over 30,000 miles. Tranny in park, transfer case in neutral, key in the unlock position (locking steering wheel). The air suspension in the lowest position. Don't even think about backing up while hooked up. Unless you want to do major damage.

The 2014 and up Grand Cherokees. You had to buy a wiring harness from the dealer for the electric power steering bypass to flat tow.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My hunch is based on vehicles of the past...........
Even with things in neutral, shafts can still turn due to mechanical drag or the lube. With no rear pump the transmission rear shaft and associated parts ( like the small needle bearings between the input and output shafts) would turn but not be lubed. Putting the transmission in neutral makes sure nothing in the transmission can turn without lube.
It's hard to say without the breakdown of these transfer cases, but my bet would be that there's lube being slung around in there to keep things lubed.
Yep. Lack of lubrication in the tranny. When the engine is running. The tranny pump is working. If the tranny is being turned by the drive shaft. The pump is not pumping fluid. The transfer case has a pump that works when the output shaft is spinning.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not even going to mention the book this time as doing a key word search of the PDF version, I didn't find that cover or strap. I only knew what it was because I knew and have no idea how or why.
I looked up several words that should be related....... nuttin.
But in my defense, I have severe allergies that get really bad in the late evening, it was in the late evening, the maple trees are in bloom and I could barely see the monitor in front of me so maybe it was so fuzzy I missed it.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it (actually, it's true - severe eye allergies)

But flat towing - that was easy.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Lol I was just curious as to why the cover was popped up and what the strap was for.
The shop stashed their drugs in there during the police raid. :giggle:

(I only knew what it was from needing to use it when my Overland was totaled. I had to manually hold the strap up while it was loaded on a flatbed or it would reset.)

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm not even going to mention the book this time as doing a key word search of the PDF version, I didn't find that cover or strap. I only knew what it was because I knew and have no idea how or why.
I looked up several words that should be related....... nuttin.
But in my defense, I have severe allergies that get really bad in the late evening, it was in the late evening, the maple trees are in bloom and I could barely see the monitor in front of me so maybe it was so fuzzy I missed it.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it (actually, it's true - severe eye allergies)

But flat towing - that was easy.
I was referring to this, "Usually the crowd is a little tougher and with questions like this will club you like a baby seal." From aceisback post. Not you. LOL
Sponsored